Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everybody has their reason this is mine

Michael9

For not getting on with a car for whatever reason....mine

Electric power steering...***** hate it and yes I've tried the different settings but just don't like the feel at all I mean hydraulic has been around for god knows how long then somebody designs this crap. I dear say there's some good systems out there but I think I'm to old school and just prefer good old old, simple!

I like the car but this setup I hate so I've feeling it'll get sold..rant done!

Just what don't you like about it?

The Fiesta EPAS is the only good one I've driven.

Be interesting to see what the Focus is like without PDC.

43 minutes ago, SuttonRider said:

Is it the "lightness" feeling, and the feeling of not knowing what the road is like underneath?

My Corsa EPS was similar, ridiculously light at all speeds, vs the Focus hydraulic where you really feel what the front wheels are doing grip wise.

2 hours ago, SuttonRider said:

Imo there's no real feel, yes I know it's won't be the same as hydraulic but to me it's very vague and don't like it. I think I'm too old school, I preferred the steering on the mk1 to this. I wish there was a way to retrofit a hydraulic system.

Have you read my thread "Does your 3.5 run on rails or a jelly?" (Its on the first page) I don't like like the electric power steering. So I had the dealers turn off the Pull Drift Compensation and now the car is soooooo much better. I'm not sure the power steering is the same on yours as it is on the MK3 and 3.5 but may be worth finding out.

And if Ford had stuck with hydraulic pumps wed be complaining about the cars being needlessly heavy and the high fuel consumption.

• Like 1

The average driver would rather have electric steering that you can turn with your little finger. Electric power steering is one of the few electric components on a car that has less to go wrong with them imo. Compare that to constantly failing pumps, leaking fittings/pipes and leaking racks.

Just think about no power steering. An hours go karting session feels like a decent gym workout when you first start. 

Some of us are old enough to have driven cars when power steering was a distant dream. I wouldn't want to go back there. :ohmy:

Having had a bit of a read-up on EPAS I've changed my mind about it. Luke, you're right there is less to go wrong and it's not continually sapping power from the engine so improves mpg and reduces emissions. It can also be easily tailored to the steering geometries of different models so it does have a lot of advantages.

Nevertheless I think they're trying to be a bit too clever with things like pull drift compensation. From what SuttonRider has said it sounds as if that could be why the steering on my Mk3 feels so vague and seems to pull one way when I first set off. I'm going to see if I can get that turned off when it next goes in for service.

Tbf on the mk2 EHPAS there's more to go wrong...all those fluid pipes and seals as well as an electric pump with wiring... 

Is the pull drift compensation on all Mk3s and what's it's purpose?  Is it something that can be turned on and off in FoCCCus?  The mk3 steering does feel a bit weird but so does any other full electric system I've used lol.  

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbf on the mk2 EHPAS there's more to go wrong...all those fluid pipes and seals as well as an electric pump with wiring... 

Is the pull drift compensation on all Mk3s and what's it's purpose?  Is it something that can be turned on and off in FoCCCus?  The mk3 steering does feel a bit weird but so does any other full electric system I've used lol.  

It's on all Mk3 afaik, it's supposed to make the micro adjustments for you, such as compensating for the camber of the road, etc.

If it's doing what I think it is, it makes the off centre feel vague and unpredictable. I'm going to ask the dealer to turn it off, so I can try without, while it's in for some other work tomorrow.

It's supposed to be designed that you can't feel any assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

It's on all Mk3 afaik, it's supposed to make the micro adjustments for you, such as compensating for the camber of the road, etc.

If it's doing what I think it is, it makes the off centre feel vague and unpredictable. I'm going to ask the dealer to turn it off, so I can try without, while it's in for some other work tomorrow.

It's supposed to be designed that you can't feel any assistance.

Ok thanks, might see if I can find it on FoCCCus to try without then.  

On 07/03/2018 at 10:08 PM, Jethro_Tull said:

And if Ford had stuck with hydraulic pumps wed be complaining about the cars being needlessly heavy and the high fuel consumption.

No I wouldn't and doesn't affect mpg that much at all that's all bollox

On 07/03/2018 at 10:35 PM, Luke4efc said:

The average driver would rather have electric steering that you can turn with your little finger. Electric power steering is one of the few electric components on a car that has less to go wrong with 

No they wouldn't 

Wrong...as what tom said

On 08/03/2018 at 10:32 AM, TomsFocus said:

Exactly 

Give me hydraulic any day

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club