Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 1.25 mpg

BR36

Hi all,

Sons trip computer is showing 23.7mpg average but tbh he only really does ‘urban’ driving around the local ‘teenagers car club’ routes🙄. Is that the kind of consumption you’d expect from this diddy motor or do we need to look at a service of some kind?

Your Sons right foot and the desire to impress his car meet chums is probably the cause.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Your Sons right foot and the desire to impress his car meet chums is probably the cause.

😉 I have suspected that but still, is low 20s still what you’d expect from a 1.25 under those circumstances?

• Like 1

Yep! It all depends on how it's driven. Local journeys and the cold weather won't help.

Chances are most of the others driving with him have a decently fast car compared to the lawnmower engine fitted to the Fiesta. Probably got his foot flat down and ragging it as much as possible to keep up.

9 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Chances are most of the others driving with him have a decently fast car compared to the lawnmower engine fitted to the Fiesta. Probably got his foot flat down and ragging it as much as possible to keep up.

Agree, but he also claims its shi*e when he’s on his own ‘commuting’. He’s keen to swap it for a diesel to save some cash!

I have found fuel economy to be only slightly worse than the EcoBoost and a lot less powerful.used to get about 40mpg out of it on local journeys. id reset the trip computer and take it for a drive. accelerate gently and use the engine to slow where possible. if you can get the mpg into the 40s plus then you can put the poor figures above to driving style. if he's an inexperienced driver then a more powerful car is likely to get tangled up in a tree. the 1.25 is perfectly adequate for a new driver 

40mpg is possible, i think my personal best was around 43mpg, used to get it on a 13 mile commute but it takes saint like patience and a self imposed speed limit of 60mph

If your son's a new driver it might best to wait about 1 or 2 years before his insurance drops then could get a fiesta with the 1.4 or 1.6 diesel engine. I was looking at insurance between these 2 engines and theres only a £100 difference. The 1.4 diesel is claimed 74mpg but probably is slower to the 1.25. The 1.6 is probably faster than the 1.25 and is claimed 72mpg and has the same road tax as the 1.4 (£30). I have a mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi and its decent. It still pulls in the higher gears and I'm getting around 50mpg from it when driving in urban areas. 

Just did a quick search. So the 1.25 takes 13.7 seconds to 60 and has £150 tax. The 1.4 diesel takes around 14 seconds to 60 but road tax is £30. The 1.6 diesel has the same road tax as the 1.4 however takes 11.2 seconds to 60mph. The 1.6 is ideal if you want power and cheap running costs. I pay around £20 every 2 weeks and do around 70 miles a week. 

Thanks for your useful replies. He was looking at a 1.6d Zetec s but tbh we’ve done quite a bit to his (belts, brakes, gearbox....) so don’t fancy the risk of having it all to do again. He’s only workin P/T whilst at college so need to run on a tight budget. The insurance on the 1.6 wasn’t as bad as we thought it might be but you’re right, I’d like him to build some experience and NCB on the 1.25 first. 

22 hours ago, BR36 said:

😉 I have suspected that but still, is low 20s still what you’d expect from a 1.25 under those circumstances?

Yes, basically.

3 hours ago, BR36 said:

Thanks for your useful replies. He was looking at a 1.6d Zetec s but tbh we’ve done quite a bit to his (belts, brakes, gearbox....) so don’t fancy the risk of having it all to do again. He’s only workin P/T whilst at college so need to run on a tight budget. The insurance on the 1.6 wasn’t as bad as we thought it might be but you’re right, I’d like him to build some experience and NCB on the 1.25 first. 

When I first started driving 2 years ago I had a 1 litre petrol engine Peugeot 107. Was a nice cheap car to run. In May I got the mk6 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi and it is similar in running costs but I noticed it pulls even in the higher gears so is more powerful. My previous car's insurance on was £2080 with a black box then lowered to £1080 after the first year. With my fiesta it was £1270 without a black box and with 2 years ncb and 2 years holding my licence. The good thing with the 1.6 diesel engine is that it's made by Peugeot Citroën PSA group so it also found in Peugeots, Citroëns and even volvo and mazda so parts won't be hard to find. 

My 1.25 is currently doing about 10L/100km (which translates to about 28mpg) doing a very short journey (a couple of miles) to work through laziness. If he's doing short journeys and ragging it too, I wouldn't be surprised to see it down at 24mpg. 

The good news is that if he keeps on driving it that hard something is going to break, which means he won't need to spend any money on fuel for a while.

4 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

The good news is that if he keeps on driving it that hard something is going to break, which means he won't need to spend any money on fuel for a while.

Lol you can't always assume young drivers rag there car all the time....... With my previous car it didn't have a temperature gauge and as a new driver back then I thought if warm air is coming from the air vents that the engine was warmed up then it safer to boot it :laugh:

Surely 20mpg can't be right even with the awful 1.25 engine?  I had a 1.4 petrol 306 at college...drove boy racer routes and did meets most weekends and still averaged 45mpg in it, even with K&N cone filter for bwarps.  I then changed to a 1.8 306 which averaged 35mpg, with cone filter and silly exhaust...  I really don't see how you could get a standard 1.25 Fiesta that low! :unsure: 

19 hours ago, zain611 said:

Lol you can't always assume young drivers rag there car all the time....... With my previous car it didn't have a temperature gauge and as a new driver back then I thought if warm air is coming from the air vents that the engine was warmed up then it safer to boot it :laugh:

I’m sure he ain’t driving like a vicar but not sure he’s Lewis Hamilton either. In fairness, it’s about the flattest thing I’ve driven for a long time so you do have to wind it up a bit to make good progress. He’s doing a brim to brim/mileage check at the minute so we’ll see what the real numbers are.