Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the clutch toast?

dtulip8

Hi everyone,

I'm worried my poor Focus is suffering yet another mechanical malady. Recently, the clutch pedal has no feeling and the bite point is almost at the top of the pedal. Also, the revs at bite point are intermittent as sometimes they're barely above 1k and other times they shoot up above 2k. Before, it would bite about 1400-1500rpm. Finally, my car moves forward in 3rd with just clutch and no throttle (doesn't stall immediately like I would have thought, although its always been able to pull away in third with enough throttle applied)  which I've heard from some places means its slipping? It is 12 years old, but has only just hit 60k although I feel the previous owner had no mechanical sympathy for it. So basically, is the clutch toast and should I prepare for another hit on the old wallet?

Stick it in top at 30 then accelerate. If the revs increase but the speed doesn't then the clutch is slipping

15 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm worried my poor Focus is suffering yet another mechanical malady. Recently, the clutch pedal has no feeling and the bite point is almost at the top of the pedal. Also, the revs at bite point are intermittent as sometimes they're barely above 1k and other times they shoot up above 2k. Before, it would bite about 1400-1500rpm. Finally, my car moves forward in 3rd with just clutch and no throttle (doesn't stall immediately like I would have thought, although its always been able to pull away in third with enough throttle applied)  which I've heard from some places means its slipping? It is 12 years old, but has only just hit 60k although I feel the previous owner had no mechanical sympathy for it. So basically, is the clutch toast and should I prepare for another hit on the old wallet?

just had mine done and it had only done 50k

12 years and only 60k probably means a lot of clutch use for gear changes rather than sitting on the motorway for hours, wouldn't be at all surprised to see a clutch fail at this point.

• Like 1

My clutch is the same in my 1.8 focus has little feel and bites at the top.  To be honest I was worried out about it but I have decided to ignore it and drive it.  If it doesn't slip when provoked and changes gear ok I would leave it be and keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I chucked it in 4th up a hill and it didn’t slip. However, it definitely feels wrong and it’s becoming harder to drive as the pedals really odd now. Very hard to hold at bite point in reverse now too. I’m gonna get a replacement priced up and see if it’s worth it.

I got quoted £450 for a clutch on mine

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club