Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on going DIY maintenance

DavyTee
聽Share

17 minutes ago, doggsbody said:

A mix of water and vinegar is meant to eat rust ? It's meant to eat away all the rust n leave the good metal in tackt but only over night if you have the time then removed the next day, I'm yet to try this myself 馃憤 I'll get a shot of my stuff later won't be individual thoe LOL

I have certainly heard of vinegar being used but I can't say I've ever tried it lol聽

• Like 1

Yeah @stef123聽also anyone it might interest this is where I saw about the water/vinegar mix about a month ago while looking into diy respraying, l quite like the fact that he works with normal everyday bits as much as possible this is part 1 of a few ( be warned he does gab on and swear so if easily offended or if easily bored don't watch 馃槀 ) but apart from that there's quite a few useful videos he's made 馃憤

My lot/mess 馃槀 1 tool box full of different size spanners, 1 socket bits, 1 over flow n other odd tools as well as the rest l have to search for as n when needed lol, also a good oil filter and rounded off but remover ( plumbers monkey wrench ) grips any surface 馃憤

IMG_20180313_134731.jpg

Edited by doggsbody
  • Haha 1

Fitted a new drop link yesterday, took me 4 hours due to the nut being rusted on, and with no heat i had to make do with gator grips and a spanner, got the job done in the end though, garage quoted me 50 quid, i did it myself for the cost of the part (8 quid) 拢42 pound saved, a sense of accomplishment and a job well done

• Like 4

Good on ya @Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 even supermarket.com couldn't have saved you that much 馃槀聽 welcome to the start of future headache thoe 馃榾 get a small monkey wrench it works brilliant n hurts your hand less on grip wise..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

Fitted a new drop link yesterday, took me 4 hours due to the nut being rusted on, and with no heat i had to make do with gator grips and a spanner, got the job done in the end though, garage quoted me 50 quid, i did it myself for the cost of the part (8 quid) 拢42 pound saved, a sense of accomplishment and a job well done

Those can be a swine at time. Zip the next one off with a grinder lol.

50 points if you can name todays聽car I was working on. Clearly fitting a clutch before you say it :lol:聽another 5.5 hours of my life gone lol.

CFCD4559-FA08-4FD6-BC3E-25DA26C8D611.jpeg

0D26EA85-71C2-4D43-AD01-89FAEF83CB13.jpeg

And! The first time I鈥檝e ever used a clutch alignment tool lol. Always lined them up by eye but with this one the gearbox only slides back onto the subframe so not much space.

CE2E7604-9CD4-4B9A-92F3-A545FDBB1957.jpeg

• Like 1

On 13/03/2018 at 3:19 PM, doggsbody said:

My lot/mess 馃槀 1 tool box full of different size spanners, 1 socket bits, 1 over flow n other odd tools as well as the rest l have to search for as n when needed lol, also a good oil filter and rounded off but remover ( plumbers monkey wrench ) grips any surface 馃憤

IMG_20180313_134731.jpg

Your needing a clear out in there mate :lol:

• Haha 1

@stef123 This聽was after my second clen up time I even fitted a shelf but it appears I may need more to stop everything just piling up 馃槀

Edited by doggsbody

11 minutes ago, doggsbody said:

@stef123 This聽was after my second clen up time I even fitted a shelf but it appears I may need more to stop everything just piling up 馃槀

Put another shelf up.. buy more stuff lol.聽

• Haha 1

馃槀 very few of the things that I have in there have actually been bought about 80% was unwanted n me being me made use of it in a good way to a lot of it I've had yrs n used time n time again some things l have converted to be used either with something else or to do another job, like the buffer ( rubbish cost me 拢10 ) but with the centre piece of a rust n paint remover wheel l took the buffer of the motor re-fitted the centre piece ( clamps together ) so now l can use it in a drill that won't slow down or stop when it touches the body work 馃槆

Is a dealer stamp and/or a service stamp at all put any major money on the resale of your car these days,as long as you have the receipt of the part you have from the

shop say like brake shoes and jobs like this aint that fine,i mean these jobs not big jobs which you need experience to know how like cam blelt stuff etc.

Go for it mate as i do a lot of times now.

@jace1969 no dealership stamps don't add value it just gives proof when it was done and increases the wideness of buyers as some prefer paper work like that although it doesn't mean the parts/cars will last any longer !!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stef123 said:

Those can be a swine at time. Zip the next one off with a grinder lol.

50 points if you can name todays聽car I was working on. Clearly fitting a clutch before you say it :lol:聽another 5.5 hours of my life gone lol.

CFCD4559-FA08-4FD6-BC3E-25DA26C8D611.jpeg

0D26EA85-71C2-4D43-AD01-89FAEF83CB13.jpeg

And! The first time I鈥檝e ever used a clutch alignment tool lol. Always lined them up by eye but with this one the gearbox only slides back onto the subframe so not much space.

CE2E7604-9CD4-4B9A-92F3-A545FDBB1957.jpeg

Do I get half points for knowing its a Nissan engine... :laugh:聽 Can't think what car that engine bay is though. :unsure:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Do I get half points for knowing its a Nissan engine... :laugh:聽 Can't think what car that engine bay is though. :unsure:

Haha! you are correct it is a Nissan, it's a Qashqai.聽

• Like 1

21 hours ago, doggsbody said:

Good on ya @Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 even supermarket.com couldn't have saved you that much 馃槀聽 welcome to the start of future headache thoe 馃榾 get a small monkey wrench it works brilliant n hurts your hand less on grip wise..

haha yeah my hands are knackered still

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Glad l didn't go for the points @stef123 l聽was thinking Peugeot so would have been way far away 馃槀

• Like 1

Well @stef123 l can say the water / vinegar definitely doesn't work if it's malt vinegar it's all we had in last night 馃槀

• Like 1

Also just to add to this self repair thread 拢28 n stut top mount n bearings replaced in just over an hour 馃憤

IMG_20180315_123157.jpg

• Like 2

On 15/03/2018 at 2:38 PM, doggsbody said:

Also just to add to this self repair thread 拢28 n stut top mount n bearings replaced in just over an hour 馃憤

IMG_20180315_123157.jpg

An hour isn鈥檛 too shabby. Longest part to me always seems to be jacking the car up and getting the wheel off!聽

• Haha 1

On 15/03/2018 at 12:06 PM, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

haha yeah my hands are knackered still

You can do the otherside next weekend now you鈥檝e got the practise session done lol.聽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@stef123 the longest bit of it for me was getting the hub to separate from the suspension but apart from that it wasn't as bad as l thought it might be be considering it was my first time changing it but s I've found it may require the drop link n track rod replacing as it still makes a wobble noise over hard bumps ( drop link ) and runs slightly more on near full look turning the drivers direction ( track rod movement ) l 1'c had a track rod on a van just drop out while driving luckily the weight kept it inline 馃槺 but the thread and bolt had no wear to them and the nighlock was still fine strangely..

27 minutes ago, doggsbody said:

@stef123 the longest bit of it for me was getting the hub to separate from the suspension but apart from that it wasn't as bad as l thought it might be be considering it was my first time changing it but s I've found it may require the drop link n track rod replacing as it still makes a wobble noise over hard bumps ( drop link ) and runs slightly more on near full look turning the drivers direction ( track rod movement ) l 1'c had a track rod on a van just drop out while driving luckily the weight kept it inline 馃槺 but the thread and bolt had no wear to them and the nighlock was still fine strangely..

Did you open the gap with a screwdriver/chisel? makes it much easier lol. I will show you a picture of a useful tool i bought cheap years ago, It works really well for opening the gap. i'll post up a pic shortly.

You got lucky if you've had a track rod end drop out and didn't crash:ohmy:

• Like 1

@stef123聽l should have thought of that as I'd have probably said it to someone else 馃槀 yeah l was well n truly lucky especially as it happened going over a painted round about all l heard was clunk then scrapping n doing about 10mph n some how got it to turn in to a bus stop about 20yrds on at that point l had no idea the importance of the track rod ends till the tow guy said exactly what you just did 馃槰..

• Like 1

Earlier in this thread we spoke about ramps, here is the setup I use. When replacing the clutch on the Qashqai, I put the rear on ramps and the front on axle stands. The extensions really do make a difference to getting up them without too much revving and being out of control.聽

E0C0E10D-70BE-4112-833B-D39D8C83028D.jpeg

• Like 2

This is the set I mentioned earlier. Great for when you can鈥檛 really get in to hammer a screwdriver or chisel in lol.

46101035-48DC-4DDF-BEC9-81BDA4E62788.jpeg

48FC7AA4-7C6A-4B11-8430-E696FD78C8A2.jpeg

• Like 2