DavyTee

Advice on going DIY maintenance

Recommended Posts

You have forgotten to put the release bearing in? 🙈🙈🙈

you're too far away for me to offer you a hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

On 05/04/2018 at 11:58 PM, stef123 said:

You have forgotten to put the release bearing in? 🙈🙈🙈

you're too far away for me to offer you a hand. 

I'll get it done just thought I'd let you know it can be done as a first timer, we just need to remember to check everything 😂 but the 1 thing l was thinking about was what you mentioned about doing the video partly just to prove it doesn't require power tools of any sort or any other so called special tools all so called exsperts claim are needed..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, doggsbody said:

I'll get it done just thought I'd let you know it can be done as a first timer, we just need to remember to check everything 😂 but the 1 thing l was thinking about was what you mentioned about doing the video partly just to prove it doesn't require power tools of any sort or any other so called special tools all so called exsperts claim are needed..

Anything can be done if you put your mind to it. It’s just nuts and bolts is how I look at it. 

As for special tools, I don’t agree that you ‘need’ them. battery tools make life much easier and faster though and for anyone doing this regularly or ever day that is where you need them because time is money. 

Hats off to you for giving it a go. The best lessons are learnt the hard way, so it looks like you’ll remember next time lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2018 at 11:18 AM, stef123 said:

Anything can be done if you put your mind to it. It’s just nuts and bolts is how I look at it. 

As for special tools, I don’t agree that you ‘need’ them. battery tools make life much easier and faster though and for anyone doing this regularly or ever day that is where you need them because time is money. 

Hats off to you for giving it a go. The best lessons are learnt the hard way, so it looks like you’ll remember next time lol. 

Yeah l definitely will @stef123 😂 l totally agree if it's a daily job having anything that makes it quicker is definitely best to have, my point is towards those who claim unless you have those tools then you can't well they'll see soon enough us home DIY basic everyday tool users can still do the job just the same, unfortunately the bad weather keeps slowing me down 😠..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well @stef123 it's finally back on the road just after a month 😂 best bit of advice to anyone else who does a DIY gearbox change... What ever level it sat at when you remove it don't change it, l got given a set of ramps slightly taller than my current 1's l was using so swapped them over total headache 😠 because it changed the engine height n it was hard as hell to get it set back right where it was, but it's all done n very much missed driving it so next is to rebuild the previous box instead of searching for another when the time comes for replacement again which I hope isn't soon 😧 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventually @stef123 now after all that l have to swap the reverse switch as oil leaks through it n sealing stuff won't stop it 😠 the joys of self repairing 😀... Bonus to highlight white vinegar and water left it about a day and half ( l forgot about it 😂 ) the results..

IMG_20180423_140858.jpg

IMG_20180425_130729.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy rust results, first layer removed with wire brush then sprayed again then rubbed with scour pad.. this is a part from within the back box 

IMG_20180425_172037.jpg

IMG_20180426_134110.jpg

IMG_20180426_151729.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well did my first ever oil change and only took 2 hours as oil filter was welded on 😂 so had to do emergency shopping after my cheap nasty oil filter wrench disintegrated. Lesson learnt, buy quality filter pliers for next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Quality filter pliers or even better a filter cup if you can. 

Any particular brand you recommend for  filter pliers Stef? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DavyTee said:

Any particular brand you recommend for  filter pliers Stef? 

I think the ones I carry in the car are made by channellock.

Even the sealey ones are ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gearbox DIY project repair so far, about 1 hour of time 👍

IMG_20180503_142520.jpg

IMG_20180503_142532.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now ready to remove diff bearings 👍

IMG_20180504_003504.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update I have now fully serviced the car. New oil and filter, new brake discs and pads, air filter, pollen filter and bled the brakes adding new brake fluid. This was all done by me with no previous mechanical knowledge and who had never done anything more than topped up windscreen wash bottle 😂 

So to answer my own question originally should I go DIY the answer is a big YES. 

If I can do it anyone can 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now