Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delivery Milage

Mavroz

Will start a new topic rather than day this onto one of the other threads.

How many delivery miles would you all expect on a new car?

My mk 7.5 had 7 miles on it, the Mrs last fiesta had 3 miles on it.

I thought 7 miles was a bit high...

Before a ford dealer hands over a new vehicle they have to go through an initial check / checklist. Part of that involves a test drive of the vehicle for;

a minimum of 12.5 miles or at least 30 minutes test drive under various speeds.

Me new C-max had 43 miles on it, it was in the group but not at my dealer

Ok, like I say i thought 7 was high as my work colleague got a Kuga with 4 miles on the clock.

7 miles isn't much really is it? It's driven out the factory, round the yards, on and off ferries, trains, lorries etc. Would you prefer it to have had 0 running?

Most come off the transporters with 3 miles, then parked up, moved back in for PDI, small road-test, parked up, moved for valeting. Parked up.moved for collection .  Quite easily have 7 miles on. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MarksST said:

7 miles isn't much really is it? It's driven out the factory, round the yards, on and off ferries, trains, lorries etc. Would you prefer it to have had 0 running?

Yes

Some vehicles you used to be able to reset mileage to zero before handover. Would you prefer that not knowing how many miles it really had before resetting.

Yes. I was going to suggest that may be a good option. I personally think a customer should drive away from the showroom/dealership with 0 miles on the clock.

Just a quirk but it is only a personal opinion.

mine had 15miles on it when I picked it up.

I would feel more confident that it did actually work properly if it had a few miles on it

41 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Yes. I was going to suggest that may be a good option. I personally think a customer should drive away from the showroom/dealership with 0 miles on the clock.

So you prefer to think that it came off the production line and was magically transported to the space where you pick it up from, how exactly magical flying unicorns?

I remember the days of picking new cars from dealerships up to 150miles away and before driving back having to unscrew the Speedo cable from the gearbox. Those were the days.lol

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Yes

Why, does it make a difference? My last focus had 6 and the wife’s Captur (don’t judge) which she picked up last week had 10 on it. In addition to all the above little runs it has to be fuelled too, gone are the days when there was a pump in the yard for them to use.

It's fairly essential we got pumps to fuel vehicles , as nearest garage is around 8 miles away and we do up to 125 a day! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

The customer would then be pretty ferked off when their new car never arrived because it couldn't be driven off the line, or onto the boat, or off the car transporter.  I suppose the manufacturers could pluck them off the line with a Chinook and drop them at the dealer, but then the customer would be equally narked when theirs new car didn't work but no one had noticed because it had never been driven.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, iantt said:

It's fairly essential we got pumps to fuel vehicles , as nearest garage is around 8 miles away and we do up to 125 a day! 

Really? I thought that dealers were no longer allowed their own pumps due to H&S and all the other daft regs that make sure idiots don’t hurt themselves 🙊

7 miles out of a life expectancy of 100,000 miles? That's 0.0007% of its life. Why are you worrying?

That said, mine only had to do 7 feet before I found something wrong.

As I stopped believing a little while back in flying unicorns to deliver new vehicles to customers and helicopters may be a little impractical, I think iantt's suggestion that the dealer could zero the deliver miles would be better. That would be more more realistic than some suggestions.

This could be done at the customer's request if they wanted the delivery miles removing upon collection or not if they didn't.

Like I say it is a personal opinion and something we have both though of and i am willing to bet if it was an option, many would take it up on collection.

Unicorns and helicopters, come on gents, I know we are Ford drivers but this IS borderline space cake talk. 😂

Yes they possible could return it to 0, if your ok with what is effectively clocking, just to make you feel special fair enough, the rest of us couldn't care less about a couple of miles that we know the reason for them doing, do you want them to drop the milage after they have serviced it too, just so you can think your the only one to drive it.

we mentioned helicopters and unicorn because we thought you were living in another reality , lol.

If they did remove 4 or 5 miles, before you've even put half of them back on, the cars gone from being brand new, to used and lost a similar amount in thousands, that''m ore of a concern surely, lol.

8 hours ago, GaryPL said:

7 miles out of a life expectancy of 100,000 miles? That's 0.0007% of its life. Why are you worrying?

That said, mine only had to do 7 feet before I found something wrong.

I'd be worried if the life expectancy was only a 100k all my past cars in the last 15 years have gone on to at least 175k:smile: but I do get your point.

as I said in an earlier post mine had 43 miles on it was driven from another branch, that was the option or wait several weeks for a car of that spec and colour, doesn't bother me, I put 1025 miles on it in the first 3 days of owning it

The milage thing is just a personal preference.

Yes I would take the option of zeroing the mileage reading before driving away from the showroom.

The car going from brand new to used doesn't matter at all to us as we PCP the vehicles and don't ever keep them after maximum 3 years, we just order another new car,so drive away depreciation isn't a concern whatsoever. 😁

34 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

I'd be worried if the life expectancy was only a 100k all my past cars in the last 15 years have gone on to at least 175k:smile: but I do get your point.

as I said in an earlier post mine had 43 miles on it was driven from another branch, that was the option or wait several weeks for a car of that spec and colour, doesn't bother me, I put 1025 miles on it in the first 3 days of owning it

That is putting the miles on a car, haha.

I have nearly done 3200 in my car, about 7 weeks left till it's first birthday. We do very little milage at all other than the usual, going to work, shopping etc.

I bought a Granada Scorpio 4 x 4 in 1990.   It arrived with 45 miles on the clock.   The dealer said that it had been thoroughly tested and I wouldn't have any problems.   He was right.   I did 178,000 miles in it.

13 hours ago, iantt said:

I remember the days of picking new cars from dealerships up to 150miles away and before driving back having to unscrew the Speedo cable from the gearbox. Those were the days.lol

I had a mate who used to disconnect the speedo for half the year, judging his speed by the rev counter (you need to remember the mph per 1,000 in each gear, but of course we had less gears back then) - he always got a good price for his "low mileage" cars!😀

Back on the original topic, most of my cars have had 6-7 miles on collection, I have no problem with that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club