Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Software update for Sync 3 Focus Titanium X

Oldster

There's a 2.8GB update available for download on the Ford site to my computer, transfer to USB drive and then into the car. The dealer can apply the same update to the Sync 3 software. I'm told this is a fix-all update which affects 140 different aspects of the software.

You can tell if your car is eligible by entering your VIN on the Ford site. Mine is but I've a nagging reluctance to have it  - will my car still go afterward?

Has anyone any experience of this update?

Many thanks.

• Haha 1

How can you tell if your car is eligible? I’ve got an ETIS login but where do I look and what is the name of the upgrade?

2 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

How can you tell if your car is eligible? I’ve got an ETIS login but where do I look and what is the name of the upgrade?

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

See the link above. The download is on the main Ford website not ETIS.

I’ll have a look shortly, when I can charge the iPad 👍

Does say on there I have one too. I also checked via wifi and nowt showing there in car.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Avi -  you've  identified the location for the download. Is your Focus eligible and have you actually downloaded and applied the update?

Someone on here must have, or is evryone as cautious as I am.

Chas

42 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Avi -  you've  identified the location for the download. Is your Focus eligible and have you actually downloaded and applied the update?

Someone on here must have, or is evryone as cautious as I am.

Chas

Downloaded.  My car was at the dealer this morning and I asked about he update. Was told they had updated several cars without issues.

When I got home I tried the update and 2 hours later it still saying updating system software !

After  2 hours I turned the engine off.   Still says updating when I started it up again, but I don't know if it's actually doing anything,

Any idea how to restart the process ? 

Apart from the updating message at the top of the screen  the existing Sync system works as before.

So my car is eligible for the upgrade too. What exactly does the upgrade offer over the existing version? Would a dealer do it whilst in for a service or would they charge? And if I did it myself and bricked it would Ford wash their hands of me even though it is an official download? 

Sorry for the questions. @avi I was under the impression that if you start the upgrade then you have to see it through to the end without interruption or you could corrupt some of the files. I may be wrong but I will see if I can find out any more info from an alternative source

Good questions, Jonro.

I know nothing but don't see why the engine would have to be running for the update to work. I vaguely recall that the owner's manual suggests the car just gets on with it.

I'd have thought the dealer would do it without charge under warranty since there's clearly a problem or the update wouldn't be necessary. I'd rather the dealer did it than me doing it myself.

As I said the update affects 140 things/improves 140 things but who knows what they're supposed to be.

Chas

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Oldster said:

I'd have thought the dealer would do it without charge under warranty since there's clearly a problem or the update wouldn't be necessary. I'd rather the dealer did it than me doing it myself.

Chas

Thats a good point, and I’d rather someone at the dealership too. 

Mine is a bit ‘laggy’ at the moment especially when starting android auto soma fix of that would be good.

If anyone does it can they tell us what version of sync 3 it says on the about bit?

I checked again via car wifi and still nothing showing there but for all I know it's already been updated.

1 hour ago, gillyallan said:

If anyone does it can they tell us what version of sync 3 it says on the about bit?

I checked again via car wifi and still nothing showing there but for all I know it's already been updated.

My existing "pre update" is Sync 3 version 2.2 Build 16223. 

Mine is 2.2 build 16280.

I should add my model is 2017 titanium navigation. Not the x model. I guess builds might reflect models and what addons you have.

I've given up for night. We have a very old xp computer which as it turns out doesn't like exfat disks, which it looks as though the focus wants. I think the download is only version 2.3 anyway and v 3.0 is probably not too far away.

I'm not sure if the download via wifi actually just gives up as I'm sure the ford sync site runs very slowly.

17 hours ago, avi said:

After  2 hours I turned the engine off.   Still says updating when I started it up again, but I don't know if it's actually doing anything,

Any idea how to restart the process ? 

Apart from the updating message at the top of the screen  the existing Sync system works as before.

Got in the car this morning and received a message to say the system software had been updated !  Now shows Sync 3 version 2.3.

Using my iPhone IOS 11.2.6 the Ford Pass app still crashes when connected to the car and Spotify still isn't recognised.

No idea  what's changed and I can't see anything different so far. 

Ford claims 30-38 mins to update LOL ! 

People on here are using a leaked version 3.0 as I seen it on a Google search last night. Not sure when official 3 is out though.

I just don't get why the car isn't finding even the 2.3 update via wifi. I've seen others say they got it that way. Maybe need to stick sync on dmz of my router and try or try someone else's wifi.

Maybe even create a hotspot off my phone and see if it detects it.

• Like 1

My phone isn’t synced as a hotspot so if I get time on my break I’ll have a look and see what it says as I have full fast speed here. 

My sync 3 runs with Spotify no bother. I’m using android though

I've just read the Honest John Motoring Agony column in yesterday's Daily Telegraph.

AW writes to say that after a long correspondence with Ford UK he's been told by an executive on behalf of Andy Barratt, the CEO, that "there is an issue with the Sync 3 satnavs, but that no updates are yet available".

So whatever the current update is supposedly fixing, it isn't that.

Chas

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

My sync 3 runs with Spotify no bother. I’m using android though

The recent IOS 11.2.5 update stopped apps/Car Play working with Sync 3.  Loads of comments from Apple/Ford Sync users about this.  Ford released a message via FordPass about the IOS 10.2.6 fixing the issue.   Whilst this sorted some stuff, Spotify was not recognised but FordPass worked.  Then a couple of days ago for update the IOS FordPass app to fix some bugs and now it crashes when it connects to the car.  

Will a sync master reset lose everything? Ie even radio stations.

I don't mind reconnecting phone and adjusting sound etc but tuning all stations in again. ...arghh

It's ok I done the reset. I think radio was all it kept. Got worried the time it took to come back to life also.

So have you updated? If so, what's changed?