Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Software update for Sync 3 Focus Titanium X

Oldster

@Grimskull2008 900 quids is just too much. The guy who help me my S3 get programmed sells the Sync3 upgrade kits for 600Pounds also configured for a specific VIN... And the change in your car is easy. 

Hi Bannko,

Its actually £750 for the lot, but I am getting the pigtail/GPS/USB etc and fuel for him to drive 400 miles... so not too bad. I was quoted £1600 for it before, so this is a great saving, plus it is fully configured to my car, installed and working.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, iantt said:

whats involved changing sync2 to 3 on a mondeo? 

Hi Iantt,

You have to change the Sync 2 head unit for a Sync 3, change the USB in the arm rest and get a GPS aerial and adapters, Baanko has it listed on his post. I believe it takes about an hour or so to do.

Hi all,

So installation of new Sync 3 unit from Sync 2 has gone great. All in and working.

Trying to do install of Sync 3 Version 3, which is somewhat troublesome!!

I read what others have posted and I am a bit confused.

Do I need to have all the code on the "AutoInstall.lst" as one line or should it be on multiple lines?

The USB gets picked up and it starts the indexing, but then nothing.... I have tried it a few times with different USB sticks with code on one line and with it on different lines, but no success. 

What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me?

All files are in the top parent folder of "SYNC3UpdatePackageA" and in that folder I have 3 items, "SyncMyRide" folder, a "AutoInstall.lst" file and a "DONTINDX" file.

In the SyncMyRide folder I have 8 files.

I personally didn't have that top level folder on my stick.

I'll need to find my file again to see the autoinstall file

1 minute ago, gillyallan said:

I personally didn't have that top level folder on my stick.

Did you have the Autoinstall code as one line or multiple lines ?

Checking now

3 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Checking now

thank you

thank you
Have had to extract it again as had deleted from my USB but when I open with notepad it's one big line. If I open with wordpad it's neat in separate lines.

4 minutes ago, gillyallan said:
11 minutes ago, Grimskull2008 said:
thank you

Have had to extract it again as had deleted from my USB but when I open with notepad it's one big line. If I open with wordpad it's neat in separate lines.

That's very confusing!! thanks Ford for making this really hard to use!! :-(

do you know the steps you did to make it work?

If i try it without the top parent folder, when i put the USB stick into the car nothing shows on the screen, when it does have the parent folder it says "indexing"...

I simply extracted to my EXFAT USB stick which is 32gb and empty.

It created a syncmyride folder at top level with the 8 files inside it. Outside of this were 2 other files:, install and dontindx files.

Plugged in and with 10 mins probably less it started the install procedure

Ps. Im Dreading the maps update if we ever get it. Especially that it has 2 installs.

How long does it say indexing as that may be right?

I can't mind what it says but does the first part for about 5 or so mins then possibly resets. (I went to cashline at this point so missed it) it then does nothing for a few more mins and eventually kicks in with installing. This bit takes about 15_20 mins then comes up with message that it's done and to remove USB.

2 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

How long does it say indexing as that may be right?

I can't mind what it says but does the first part for about 5 or so mins then possibly resets. (I went to cashline at this point so missed it) it then does nothing for a few more mins and eventually kicks in with installing. This bit takes about 15_20 mins then comes up with message that it's done and to remove USB.

It literally just flashes "USB detected" and then "Indexing file blah blah" and then nothing. i left it in each time for 30 mins... no update, no info on the screen to say that any update is occurring.  

Hopefully@hinckleyfox sees this as they were last person reported to have successfully installed it.

• Like 1

Update!!!! 

I used a 16GB Verbatim USB that I found in a drawer and it now says "Updating system software". 

I downloaded the Sync 3 update on to my Win 10 laptop, and using the native Windows 10 file extraction I extracted it to the 16GB USB directly. It only has the 3 files on the USB, no parent folder, formatted to exFAT. 

I then turned on my car, (disabled auto start/stop) and when the car was on, I waited a few mins until everything on the Sync 3 connected and maps were loaded. I then plugged in the USB into the USB port. 

I waited about 5 mins and then "Updating system software" showed up on the top of the Sync 3 unit. 

Still doing update so will add to this as it progresses. 

IMG_20180416_181530__01.jpg

Nice one. As you say. Ford could have made this easier.
Remember after it's all done you'll need to lock the car up for a few mins before checking version on next start up

4 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Nice one. As you say. Ford could have made this easier.
Remember after it's all done you'll need to lock the car up for a few mins before checking version on next start up

Yes thank you. Ford instructions say you can do ignition cycle, but I think turning it off for a few mins after will do the job. 

It's still updating as I type this. Using timestamps in this forum for reference. 

You'll have a mixture of joy seeing it says version 3.0 and a feeling of disappointment in that the only major difference is the sat navigation icon has changed to an arrow and not a lot else visually at least.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gillyallan said:

You'll have a mixture of joy seeing it says version 3.0 and a feeling of disappointment in that the only major difference is the sat navigation icon has changed to an arrow and not a lot else visually at least.

Fully updated. 

Waze works on Sync 3, using Android Auto.

Thank you Gillyalan for the assist on this... much appreciated!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gillyallan said:

Do you know when the map update will be available or how to get it?

No. This is what I'm waiting for too

1 hour ago, Grimskull2008 said:

Do you know when the map update will be available or how to get it?

There is a link on a recent thread about F7 map update.  The update is from the Ford Servers (same as the recent Sync 3 update) but it's not been made available "officially" by Ford yet.   I'm not sure if it will be a FOC update or chargeable via a dealer.  Sync 2 updates are chargeable and whilst these are SD card based it doesn't explain the big cost charged by Ford for the official part.   

2 hours ago, gillyallan said:

No. This is what I'm waiting for too

Not sure if posting a link from another thread is allowed... but another user has uploaded the instructions > here <.

I know it's supposed to be from official Ford but I'd prefer to wait till available on the UK update site. Yes I'll continue to moan about it though lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club