Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3.5 different headlight options?

Vaux_2

Hi all,

I've got a 17 plate zetec with the bog standard reflector headlights (which ford call projectors?) 

I've seen some other focus' of the same age going around that have reflector headlights but with the LED strip DRL's.  They're clearly factory fit because they've still got the rubbish yellowish bulbs.  If someone was going to the bother of retrofitting DRL's, they'd change the bulbs for white ones too.

Looking at fords website i don't see any option for the zetec to have DRL's?  I was hoping to get myself a pair of new units with DRL's as i'm assuming i don't have the wiring loom to allow me to upgrade to xenon's. 

Can anyone shed any light on this? (pun intended :blink: i'll grab my coat...)

i know from personal experience, the rear lights from the zetec s are a straight swap(they have the nice style rear tail light)... ive got a mate with the newer drl style im just trying to pin him down so i can steal a headlight for testing as its something i want to do aswell.

• Haha 1

Would love to hear the result if you do. 

I'm assuming its just one extra core in the loom to each headlight for a permanent 12v feed, so would presumably already be there.

If i get a chance, I'll stick a meter on the headlight plug and see if there's a permanent supply there.

Anyone know if it this is something which would need to be enabled in the software?

You need to tell the car you have DRLs otherwise they probably won't work. It's an option in the CCC as is with the LED tail lights (but clearly you didn't need to fiddle with that option! @azz899)

1 hour ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

You need to tell the car you have DRLs otherwise they probably won't work. It's an option in the CCC as is with the LED tail lights (but clearly you didn't need to fiddle with that option! @azz899)

basically it looked like the small led style rear used a wiring tap from the loom that feeds the upper dual filament bulb on the zetecs

Aren't the DRLs in these an alternative to the sidelight? As in it just uses the sidelight wire? The CCC should control dimming when required.

i might enable the drl's on my standard lamps, it may just bring on the sidelights but it would then stand to reason your correct.

Mind the drls dim when indicating and when actual side lights on. Just make sure they don't stay full brightness when lights are on.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

So do the reflector headlights with the DRL have sidelight bulbs?  Or is it just dipped and full beam with the LED strip?

I can't find a photo online thats close enough to make out the different bulbs.

I only got my focus but pretty sure my side lights are my drls but at thier dimmer setting.
They are actually quite small on focus compared to my previous fez.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to check mine tomorrow because as far as i know, if i turn my headlights off, there are no bulbs lit at all.  Could be wrong though.

Edit: Can anyone recommend an OBD adaptor for Forscan on a windows laptop?  Can see i'm going to need one to have a play :smile:

15 hours ago, Vaux_2 said:

I'm going to have to check mine tomorrow because as far as i know, if i turn my headlights off, there are no bulbs lit at all.  Could be wrong though.

Edit: Can anyone recommend an OBD adaptor for Forscan on a windows laptop?  Can see i'm going to need one to have a play :smile:

Most on here have got one from Modified ELM327 cable but the basic USB one is currently showing as out of stock.  I've had mine a few years and it's never let me down.

On the DRL cars the DRL's are also classed as your sidelights im sure, then you just have dipped and main after that

Perfect, cheers Damian, i'll get something ordered up from there :smile: The wifi one looks interesting!

I've just been doing a bit of digging on google.  I don't have an 'auto' position on my headlight switch, just 'Off', 'Sidelights' and 'dipped beam'. This is what mine looks like..

s-l300.jpg

Can you see if your mate with the zetec S has an 'auto' position on his switch.  Like this...

s-l300.jpg

If he does have the auto position, this might not be as straight forwards as we're hoping...

my zetec has the auto light section but because it doesn't have the sensor on the windscreen all this does is leave the lights on all the time (and has them as coming home lights when parking up) auto switching them off after about 30seconds

Good, so thats not tied in with having DRL's then.

Mine does that if i just leave the switch in the dipped beam position, however, if i leave the switch in the sidelights position they don't switch off  :huh:

36 minutes ago, Vaux_2 said:

Good, so thats not tied in with having DRL's then.

Mine does that if i just leave the switch in the dipped beam position, however, if i leave the switch in the sidelights position they don't switch off  :huh:

That's normal as what we call side lights are actually "parking lamps" and thus if you switch to these only the car will think you're using them for this reason.

• 1 month later...

To change rear light to led its only swap 

To.change headlights you have to activate them to let you car know ;) 

I did it 2 weeks ago 

• Like 1

if you dont activate headlights led will work with normal lights only

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club