Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which to get st-2 or st-3?

Patrico777

Hi

So after owning zetec s tdci then st150 frozen white now owning audi a3 black edition diesel 61 plate I think it still takes me to get fiesta st180! Must be white, need your help guys to choose what to look out for etc etc before I px my car and buy the ST atm going to view one st-2 with 22k miles price is 10,950, its st-2 so it shld not have keyless entry auto lights etc etc ? Im i right whats the difference ?between 2-3? Planning to go europe in summer for 10hour drive hows the car on motorways is it quite ? Comfy? Never driven one please shed some light what to look out for etc and do these sts burn any oil ?

Dream car is a Fiesta ST? Dam you have low standards lol.

I've been in one before, and the ride is certainly not like being in a roller or rangie! It's probably a similar ride to the ST you used to own tbh.

St2 has heated seats, partial leather, sony head unit, LED DRL's and privacy glass.

St3 has keyless entry+start, satnav, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, power fold mirrors and climate control. 

Not sure if keyless start comes on both specs. Obviously if you buy used then you might get some optional extras too such as reversing camera/sensors or mountune kit.

When the ST was launched it was only as ST1 or ST2, due to so many ST2 orders with various options selected they launched the ST3 with all the electrical options as a way to simplify the builds, some orders including mine were taking several months.

A 3 is just a 2 with all the electrical options fitted. You will find ST2s about with various options fitted or if it's before early 2014 it may be ST3 spec, they also appear as ST2s on ford etis and sometimes the V5.

Sat Nav

cruise control

climate control

auto light

auto wipers

auto dimming rear view mirror

folding wing mirrors with puddle lights

keyless entry

nothing wrong with it being your dream car, better to have an achievable dream than dreaming of a car you'll never have without a lottery win.

None of mine have burnt oil, depends how it was driven and looked after just like most cars.

no real issues with the , keep an eye on the coolant on earlier cars, a recall is being issued soon for this, if it has the style pack (most do) the illuminated sills sometimes fail, 

the ride is firm but not uncomfortable, that's my opinion and people differ.

Ok I test drove the car and Im so upset it did not meet my expectation as I was expecting, its slow, ride is hard, the steering wheel so heavy, it looked beatiful specially in frozen white but completely did not think it will be like this my old ST150 was perfect but this is not what I was expecting so I decided Im staying with Audi, I am so dissapointed as that car was always in my head to get it and now when I wanted its not that good.

Did you check that there was no underlying problem with it? Just saying as I've never driven an ST. When I went to look for a mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi the first car I came to see was very sluggish and didn't really pick up speed well. Used a diagnostic tool and it came up with 7 faults. I then went to view the second one and it was a whole lot better in power. The owner said it had been remapped however I later found that he was lieing. Although he lied about the remap it does show that power can change in cars so might be good to test drive other STs. 

I agree with zain611, test drive another one.

First time I test drove an ST180 I made my mind up in a few minutes. Great throttle response, constant torque throughout the RPM range, the weighted steering was excellent, the car was engaging to drive.

The one I test drove was a late 15 plate at a ford dealer, so it had the ST200 tweaks such as the better suspension setup (softer) and recalibrated steering.

Try to find one that is a late 15 plate or above, not modified and well taken care of. The used car market for the ST will be full of modified STs and unfortunately many will have been ragged to bits.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Ok I test drove the car and Im so upset it did not meet my expectation as I was expecting, its slow, ride is hard, the steering wheel so heavy, it looked beatiful specially in frozen white but completely did not think it will be like this my old ST150 was perfect but this is not what I was expecting so I decided Im staying with Audi, I am so dissapointed as that car was always in my head to get it and now when I wanted its not that good.

I remember test driving the ST when it came out. I'd really been looking forward to it having been most impressed with the ride/handling balance on the Mk 7's. Like you I was really disappointed with it - poor ride, didn't seem that quick, found the symposer thing really annoying, and no 5 door option at that time (but I'd have lived with that if I'd been happy with everything else). I was so surprised I had 2 more test drives of different cars at other dealers, but just didn't get on with it.

15 minutes ago, Ad@m said:

I agree with zain611, test drive another one

The one I test drove was a late 15 plate at a ford dealer, so it had the ST200 tweaks such as the better suspension setup (softer) and recalibrated steering.

That may well have answered most of my reservations but the 5 door with ST200 suspension mods came out too late for me, so haven't had the opportunity to try a late ST.

Must stress above are purely my personal opinions which are influenced by my back problems - I know lots of folk love their ST's!

Would agree with Ad@m's advice to test another, as late a car as possible, as the suspension changes may well address your issues.

I test driven late 15 plate still have original tyres so wasnt driven hard old men was owner of the car it was brand spanky new it was really nice just was so dissapointed with the drive and cannot compare it to my audi I will stay with audi and remap it and get 200bhp and 430torque which is a lot 

5615FAAE-15E0-482A-A0E6-28B99733433E.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

I test driven late 15 plate still have original tyres so wasnt driven hard old men was owner of the car it was brand spanky new it was really nice just was so dissapointed with the drive and cannot compare it to my audi I will stay with audi and remap it and get 200bhp and 430torque which is a lot 

5615FAAE-15E0-482A-A0E6-28B99733433E.jpeg

What size engine is in there? I'm thinking of getting a mk5 golf 2.0 TDI GT sport 170hp in about 4 years. 8.2 seconds to 60 and claimed 59mpg. Atm with the fiesta might remap it from 90hp / 205nm to 120hp / 275nm. I just want a cheap to run fast car. 

15 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Not 100% sure on this, perhaps someone could confirm?, but I think you need to be looking at 16 plate or later to find a car with the ST200 suspension mods so might still be worth a tryout if you can find one.

I have had Audis in the past and really enjoyed them, not so keen on the current range though. Similarly have had several Fiestas and liked them too, but can understand that if you're really sold on the Audi then a Fiesta might not suit you.

22 hours ago, zain611 said:

What size engine is in there? I'm thinking of getting a mk5 golf 2.0 TDI GT sport 170hp in about 4 years. 8.2 seconds to 60 and claimed 59mpg. Atm with the fiesta might remap it from 90hp / 205nm to 120hp / 275nm. I just want a cheap to run fast car. 

Mine is 2.0TDi, very cheap to run and torque from low rpm, its not great in corners as ST, but its really comfy! 

12 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Mine is 2.0TDi, very cheap to run and torque from low rpm, its not great in corners as ST, but its really comfy! 

What's the horsepower on it? Sorry that I'm going off topic but that engine in your audi might be the same one thats in the golf I'm planning to get. How's reliability also? 

On 13 March 2018 at 9:25 PM, Patrico777 said:

Patrico777 I,m kind of with you on this one , I had a 16 plate st2 4 months ago and initially was very happy with it. After a while the rock hard suspension wore through , several passengers commented on it (softer revised suspension as well) and generally was just a bit too hard for me. Yes it had a bit of go in it but if you have been used to mid range punch from a turbo diesel I can see your dissapointment. The st is good in a lot of areas , handling etc but maybe a st-line might of been the better bet for me. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club