Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things to know about Automatic gearboxes

badgerdisco

Good day! 

I am interested in a second hand Mk II 1.6 Zetec climate, 2007, 37k (mileage checks out). Now, I have never desired an automatic and they've always seemed like an expensive part to service if there are problems. 

My main questions are:
Is the general reliability of them OK? And what kind of servicing does it require? 

My thought is that Ford are an american company (90% drive automatics) so they must know how to make a decent gearbox by now! 

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, badgerdisco said:

Good day! 

I am interested in a second hand Mk II 1.6 Zetec climate, 2007, 37k (mileage checks out). Now, I have never desired an automatic and they've always seemed like an expensive part to service if there are problems. 

My main questions are:
Is the general reliability of them OK? And what kind of servicing does it require? 

My thought is that Ford are an american company (90% drive automatics) so they must know how to make a decent gearbox by now! 

Thanks!

The MK2 Focus auto is an old school "slush box" like the Americans have been using for decades, they seem pretty reliable unlike some of the newer dual clutch type boxes (from various manufacturers).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

The MK2 Focus auto is an old school "slush box" like the Americans have been using for decades, they seem pretty reliable unlike some of the newer dual clutch type boxes (from various manufacturers).

Thanks Damian, that's really good to know! Not that the term 'slush box' necessarily fills me with confidence :wink:

1 minute ago, badgerdisco said:

Thanks Damian, that's really good to know! Not that the term 'slush box' necessarily fills me with confidence :wink:

No worries mate.

Don't worry about the "slush box" nickname, it's a term often used for the older type auto boxes because they use fluid to provide the drive, rather than a fixed connection like a manual box or a dual clutch setup.  They technology has been around for decades so is tried and tested.

• Like 1

you need to make shure that the filter and oil has been changed recently  ,most owners dont do this .

1 hour ago, Tasape said:

you need to make shure that the filter and oil has been changed recently  ,most owners dont do this .

I don't think the old school auto boxes used in the MK2 Focus had a regularly filter/fluid change requirement, unlike the newer dual clutch systems.

That said, at 10+ years old it would probably be a job worth doing, as long as the right fluid and amount is used I can't see it doing any harm to the box.  (Assuming that it's easy enough to do as some boxes have to be partly stripped down to get to the drain/fill ports).

EDIT - Just checked Haynes manual for MK2 petrol and the auto box is of the "sealed for life" variety although from looking at the Haynes book it doesn't seem overly difficult if someone wanted to drain and refill the fluid for peace of mind.

Edited by 1979Damian
Checked Haynes manual

Generally speaking, slush boxes are stronger than manual ones.  The part that takes most of the wear and tear is the fluid.

• Like 1

Thanks all! Actually I'm having trouble buying the damn thing - I seem to have upset the seller by making an offer before seeing it (not a crazy offer, just £600 less because that's my budget.)

I think I'd still prefer a manual to be honest. I've had a couple of Mk1s and I never had any problems with gearboxes.

We used to have a Citroen C5 2.2 Diesel with a "slush box" ZF 4HP20, 4 speed auto gearbox. Citroen said it was "sealed for life". I contacted ZF Technical Support, who replied "Although the gearbox is "filled for life", we recommend an oil change every 60,000 miles."

The real pain was that there was no drain plug.

The box capacity was 6.5 litres, but, from where you could drain, only around  2.75-3.00 litres maximum could be removed. This resulted in having to dilute the remaining old oil with new, running the car for a few hundred miles and then repeating this process a few times. In the end, most of the old oil was replaced. Oil level/volume was very critical, and needed to be at a specific temperature when checking. I just did what most owners do, and accurately measured volume out/volume in each time. At the end of the change process, the auto box gave a much smoother and cleaner operation/gear change, so well worth the hassle.

You require a special pump to change the oil in a slush, gets out all the oil held in the torque converter.  Not really possible to efficively DIY it.

The automatic is a 4-speed box. That's equivalent to a 5-speed manual as the torque converter gives some extra torque multiplication as it slips. The torque converter locks up in 3rd and 4th gear for improved efficiency. You have a manual up/down override by moving the selector over- it's still controlled by the TCM so won't let you choose an inappropriate gear and damage it.

It's old-fashioned tech but should be fairly reliable. Autos like this are quite smooth to drive and great in traffic. On the motorway you can use the manual shift to drop a gear quickly for overtaking.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club