Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta (63) - does engine sound right?

Mdf0207

Hi all, 

I have got a Fiesta 63 plate, with a 1.0-litre engine (Ecoboost). 

I had a warning light notification come up for low oil. Dip-stick checked and everything was filled okay. 
Whilst car was running, I removed the oil filler cap (wanted to see if oil was getting to the top of the engine; didn't seem much there; see video). What struck me was the noise - Ford has said these engines usually sound like this, but I'm not convinced. 

Please, could you have a listen and get back to me? 

I can't upload on here as there is a 2MB limit :/ 
Please see youtube for the video:

https://youtu.be/AFK2OVs3pSU

I've got the same engine and mine doesn't sound like that.

Just now, Bobr said:

I've got the same engine and mine doesn't sound like that.

Hi Bobr, 

Thanks for your reply. 
Ford told me that this is usual for a car to sound like this. 

I don't suppose you could get a video of your engine running with oil filler cap on and then when its off -  and upload the video to youtube and paste link here so I can go back to Ford and say no, other cars don't sound like this!! 

Won't be able to do that mate but, if it ever stops raining, I will check the sounds and report back to you.

24 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Won't be able to do that mate but, if it ever stops raining, I will check the sounds and report back to you.

thank you very much; that will be very helpful. 
I can't really argue with Ford if they're saying its usual for an engine to sound like that when oil cap is off and it's at idle. :/ 

Mine doesn't sound like that. With the cap off shouldn't oil be sprayed out? What does it sound like with the cap on?

1 hour ago, cjay1 said:

Mine doesn't sound like that. With the cap off shouldn't oil be sprayed out? What does it sound like with the cap on?

when video first starts the cap is on.

1 hour ago, cjay1 said:

Will you be able to get a video of what yours sounds like so I have a comparison I can show Ford, as they're saying its fine!

With the oil cap on your engine sounds pretty much same as mine. I've read somewhere that the high pitched noise is made by high pressure fuel injectors.

Do you hear that popping sound if you have the cap on?

33 minutes ago, Jeipii said:

With the oil cap on your engine sounds pretty much same as mine. I've read somewhere that the high pitched noise is made by high pressure fuel injectors.

Do you hear that popping sound if you have the cap on?

thanks for your reply. If your able to see the video posted you can hear the difference of pitch when cap is on and when its off. When the oil cap is on it still sounds loud (to me, but i am no expert). However, when the cap is off, even to someone like me, it doesn't sound right!!

For reference, I think this is pretty much a normal idle sound for Ecoboost. Mine sounds like this and Im confident that my engine is running normally :) 

2 minutes ago, Jeipii said:

For reference, I think this is pretty much a normal idle sound for Ecoboost.

thank's for uploading. Are you able to do the same with the oil cap off to see if it sounds the same as mine, please?

8 minutes ago, Mdf0207 said:

thank's for uploading. Are you able to do the same with the oil cap off to see if it sounds the same as mine, please?

Join Fiesta mk7 owners club or Mk7 Fiesta Ecoboost Owners Club in Facebook and ask there.

Btw I don't think you shoul run your engine while the oil cap is off? If you have the cap on and it sounds the same as in the video I posted I think it could be then running normally. I tried to listen through my oil cap for those pops and crackles and didnt' hear them. It doesn't mean they're not there but I don't want to take the cap off. Sorry.

It sounds normal tbh, the shape of that filler is just making it echo, like if you talk down a rolled up newspaper/loo roll tube.  The pops are caused by a bit of blowby on ignition stroke.

Running engines with the cap off won't do any harm.  The worst that'll happen is you'll get a bit of oil mist on top of the engine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeipii said:

Join Fiesta mk7 owners club or Mk7 Fiesta Ecoboost Owners Club in Facebook and ask there.

Btw I don't think you shoul run your engine while the oil cap is off? If you have the cap on and it sounds the same as in the video I posted I think it could be then running normally. I tried to listen through my oil cap for those pops and crackles and didnt' hear them. It doesn't mean they're not there but I don't want to take the cap off. Sorry.

Engine oil isn't pressurised at the top up area (as much as /) like coolant.  So no big deal if you've got the cap off while running the engine. 

Best to keep the cap on, but it won't do any major harm. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bobr said:

My mistake, it sounds exactly like yours.   Never had the engine running with the bonnet up before.   Sound horrendous with the cap off.

• 4 years later...

I have a theory that on the right by the filler cap is a vacuum which pulls oil up. Once you remove the cap it breaks the vacuum. This then means oil is not pulled up. Cannot confirm this just a thought.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club