Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2.5 Engine noise, down on power

SkinnyB

Alright folks. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

On my way back from work this morning I was doing about 65 on a dual carriageway the motor just lost some power about half hour into my journey and I could immediately hear a weird noise but because of road noise and wind noise etc I couldn’t pin point what it was. As I got on the slip road engine just cut out completely, turned it back on and drove it about 1mile back home. It had a slight rough idle and was definitely down on power. Got home parked up and then realised noise was unfortunately coming from engine. 

I put a new clutch in the car about 2months ago and car hasn’t had any work done to it since. Car has about 76000 miles and is a 1.6 petrol.

i know without hearing the car itself it might be difficult to know what’s wrong with it but I was just hoping to pointed in some direction. If I had to put money on it I would say timing belt but I’m really hoping I’m wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can you be any more specific about the noise?  Rattling, whining, knocking?

I doubt it's the belt, usually you'd have much bigger issues if the tensioner failed.

It could be to do with the variable timing though if it's the Ti-VCT engine.

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I doubt it's the belt, usually you'd have much bigger issues if the tensioner failed.

Psychic-Powers.jpg

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2018 at 7:56 PM, TomsFocus said:

If i had to pick I would say it is more of a very loud rattling. When the missus heard it she said it sounded like a transit and I’m unfortunately going to have to agree with her on that one.

UPDATE

I couldn’t find my elm to try and check the codes but I just decided to start taking the car apart and I didn’t have to look far. 

4BB6FB6B-3550-4C90-A6F4-C459A3B3EFAD.thumb.jpeg.460fbf5cc894d430013543264dd5b51c.jpeg3BC0E34B-9C74-44D8-8460-AE893F80F8C9.thumb.jpeg.1a675e4e59864c3480d59d6e854985d1.jpeg0D3C5F80-8634-44BC-8122-3CEB6E43647F.thumb.jpeg.5ff86234e7d8c47100041c9e303e78e4.jpeg

As evident from the pictures the issue is with but might not be limited to the timing belt. It seems it’s been shredding away but for how long I do not know.

7CA1C86E-32A2-49D3-9081-2D37C8840B8F.thumb.jpeg.e1b0b8237f0493fe141ac8d7afe5ec71.jpeg

You can see on the cover the belt had started cutting through it as well. 

Im going to be ordering all the bits to change the belt if any one has any advice on changing the belt please feel free to let me know. 

Would the belt in this state have been the cause for the noise and lack of power or am I going to be running into issues as I change the belt. Could the timing being off cause the noise? 

• Confused 1

Well I stand corrected lol, I've seen a belt slip over but never that far, amazed  it didn't snap tbh! :ohmy:

The timing being out could cause the noise and power loss yes.  Potentially valves may have touched pistons but you won't know without at least a new belt and compression test.  You'll also need to find what pushed the belt over to make sure that's changed, my guess would be tensioner bearings.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club