Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are they worth it

Michael9

Genuine parts...I was talking to folk in work the other day and one guy said all he buys is gen parts apart from bulbs and wipers everything else is oem from his local stealer or online. He just recently paid £260 for 2 wishbones for his mondy I said he's mad he said they'll outlast the crap I buy he's probably right but christ 2-3 times the price just for for one. He's did it for years and keeps the car lovely I'll admit even underneath but good god.

He also said (and see his point) when getting suspension parts and bushes ect a new car doesn't need mot'd for 3 years therefore genuine parts should last for that time.

Should I start saving for the real deal stuff..

If you're fitting them yourself, no.  Stuff from the likes of NGK, Mann and Hummel, MAHLE etc are liable to superior to Ford stuff, for less wonga.

• Like 1

In my view and experience Motorcraft parts / Ford parts (typically re-branded products from world leading OE suppliers) are good quality and exceed many of the aftermarket branded stuff that exists out there. However, prices are higher since they operate their parts centre with a retail mindset, ie profit.

Will I buy only Motorcraft/Ford parts?

It depends on the part, certain parts I would and I 100% agree with your friend on wishbones, anything metal and relating to suspension I would go with ford parts because I do believe they last longer / better protected against rust, and of better quality / fit than aftermarket equivalents.

Generally for highly consumable items (filters, spark plugs, brake pads/discs, Wiper Blades, bulbs, fluids/oil etc...) I tend to opt for aftermarket because you can often get the exact same part or better without the motorcraft branding for cheaper.

Depends what it is...

Anything with rubber in is far better quality OEM.  I've never had a non genuine wishbone or engine mount that was as good as the original, even from big brands like Bilstein.  Things like drop links are also crap from eBay, they bend the first time you hit a pothole.  

If you can afford to, I'd recommend OEM wherever possible but it does cone down to price usually.

My dad uses Mann parts when doing a service. Fit perfectly in. There are some things that you may need to get genuine for example on my previous car I changed the cat and manifold as it blew a hole in one of the manifold pipes. Couldn't get a genuine one ad it was around £900 for it but got a generic one for £190. It did go in but the pipe was just a little small so had to try and hold it down whilst bolting it on but other then that it went in. I'd say products which need to be fixed in by screws / bolts I might recommend genuine parts. 

Anything with rubber and or metal he'll buy genuine and yes I think as said above he pays over the odds but granted it seems to last compared to cheap crap I buy but you get what you can afford. I'll be needing wishbones soon but buggered if I'm paying £260-/+ for them. Then again...if I thought they'd last for 2-3-4 years with the atrocious excuse we've got for rds I'd maybe think about it.

I can add about the lower arms n say definitely don't buy the cheapest ie £15 each 3 month later l spent £35 each on Febi Bilstien 1's n there still doing well after 6month roughly including track rod ends which was replaced at the same time, as to OEM parts if you can afford them definitely go for it apart from 1 shocker/spring 3 of ours are still original since 2000 on our focus estate and it's carried some weight and still retains all original rear suspension components. If that's a good pointer at all ?

Also to add as l saw many mention on Facebook car groups, if when buying of eBay you come across say 2 wish bones and 1 is cheaper buy £50/£100 but states picture for illustration purposes only but shows a high brand make don't buy it as it will be 9/10 a cheap one ( as it states for illustration purposes only ) it would cost you more to return it and there not obligated to refund as they stated it's for illustration purposes only unless it's make is mentioned in the description then you have a case to fight with but still a return fee so you end up paying for nothing.. 👍

Not changed anything yet on my 7 year old Mondeo, but on my last Mondeo (ST24) I replaced the original wishbones when that was about 6 or 7 years old with Ford parts, these lasted until the car was 13 1/2 years old and I replaced them with Delphi parts (cheaper than Ford but not cheap cheap) because the car was getting old but sadly it died in December 2013 anyway.

I tried cheap anti roll bar links once, they lasted less than a year so I replaced with ford parts which lasted 3-4 years if not longer. You can buy cheap parts but you might end up changing them more often, Personally, I'd pay more and change the part less often.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club