Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 Titanium Estate Bulb/LED Rear Light Unit

GazzaS

First post, so I apologise in advance if I've broken any forum rules....

Hi, after wasting time replacing what I thought was a blown rear light bulb of my Mk2.5 2009 Focus Estate Titanium with no joy, I discovered the unit uses an LED for the rear light and conventional bulbs for the remainder - indicators, brakes etc, even though the unit still uses a 5/21W bulb for what I thought was a rear/brake light combi.

I am getting a voltage at the LED terminals, so I assume it is the LED unit that has failed.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it is possible to replace the LED unit (which is mounted just behind the lens surface within the light cluster casing - see pic) or whether I'm faced with replacing the whole rear light cluster at approx £200 a pop? (Hella part 8M5113405-FB).

Many thanks.

Rear Light 001.jpg

The LED tail lights were only fitted with the option of xenon fronts (if the estate is the same as the hatch), caused me some brake bulb confusion last year as it should only be a single filament, though twin filament won't do any harm. 

The LED unit can't be replaced as far as I'm aware.  You might be able to find a used one at a scrap yard but they won't be that common.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The LED tail lights were only fitted with the option of xenon fronts (if the estate is the same as the hatch)....

Hi, Many thanks for your comments.

My estate does indeed have the Xenon headlights too.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

... it should only be a single filament, though twin filament won't do any harm. 

The bulb is also indeed single filament. This caused me the initial confusion because when I input my Registration to various supplier's websites they all suggested a twin filament bulb would fit. It doesn't.

I am considering a twin filament bulb, but I would need to adapt the bulb holder and solder a connection to the LED +ve connection. I assume this would make the circuit but do I need to consider the voltage applied? (I'm not an electrician). 

The twin filament stop and tail bulb will fit but you need one with offset pins like the single filament one.  Halfords sell both types but they are expensive without a trade card.  They can be bought online as well.

I'm not sure about the voltage differences in afraid, maybe someone else can help there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just an update for anyone who may be interested:

After checking voltage to the LED unit was about 10V, I went ahead as previously described.

I ended up spending £3 on a pair of twin filament offset pin bulbs, rather than approx £200 for a new light cluster fitting with integrated LED. 

It took me about 30 minutes for each side and seems to work fine. Also, the car's just had its MOT and it passed without comment (the twin filament bulb sits in the focus of the brake light lens, so no issues with incorrect light output).

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club