Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7.5 ST idling high and holding revs

Dan P

I’m looking for suggestions as to what might be wrong with my car.

Over the last week or so I have noticed on around 5 occasions that the revs “hold” when I engage the clutch for a gear change and on a couple of occasions the car has revved itself up to 2000rpm for a few seconds when idling before returning to its normal level (around 850). In this time the only driving I’ve done has been doing short runs of a few miles each totalling around 50 miles. In all other regards the car seems fine (although I haven’t been above 30mph in this time).

I had an alarm fitted to the car a couple of weeks ago.  I filled up with petrol at a garage I don’t normally use (BP, 95RON) just before these symptoms started. I can’t think of anything else significant that has happened to the car recently.

I thought that maybe the installation of the alarm may have dislodged a sensor or hose but I couldn’t see anything obvious from a quick look at the engine bay. I also used an OBD reader and there are no fault codes present.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe an intake hose is lose, physically check all by giving them a slight pull / wiggle to see if there is any play. Maybe they need to be tightened up . Also make sure the MAF sensor is connected properly, thats the connector on top the airbox.

• Like 1

My old 7.5 didn't used to rev at idle, but it did often hold on to revs when changing gear. Not sure why but sure I've read other comments of this being a 'feature' of the engine? 

• Like 1

Maybe an intake hose is lose, physically check all by giving them a slight pull / wiggle to see if there is any play. Maybe they need to be tightened up . Also make sure the MAF sensor is connected properly, thats the connector on top the airbox.
Intake hoses and MAF sensor all appear ok. No random revving today but I shall continue to monitor the situation.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Had a little run on a dual carriageway this morning and it revved itself up to 3000rpm when I engaged the clutch before dropping back down again.

Climate control is also misbehaving. Has just been continually pumping hot air at the windscreen with the fan running on high.

• 1 year later...

Hi Dan.

Did you ever figure it out? I've just got an ST3 and it's doing the same thing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club