Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare key options

felixflyer

Hi

I have a 2012 Focus that I only have 1 key for. I am going to sell this to one of those buy any car sites but they want to knock £200 off the price due to me only having 1 key. I have seen keyfobs for sale on amazon etc. Can I get one of these and program it? What is the cheapest way to get another key that works?

Regards

keys are expensive to replace and thats why they want to take £200 off you. the key itself can found cheap its the remote key-fob and programming that costs the money.

• Like 1

I understand if I have lost them but can't I just get a new fob and program it myself as I have 1 key?

You used to be able to program extra keys yourself on earlier models and using 2 original keys to unlock key programming but not on anything post 2004 now.
The best option is an independent auto locksmith which will be less expensive than a dealership.
The job takes less than 10 minutes to cut and code a new key.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Have a look through the above recent topic. As I remember the total cost to me was around £70 and about 5 days time from ordering the key to having it programmed at my friendly local auto keysmith.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2018 at 6:03 PM, ScaniaPBman said:

Have a look through the above recent topic. As I remember the total cost to me was around £70 and about 5 days time from ordering the key to having it programmed at my friendly local auto keysmith.

ScaniaPBman.

Does this include the remote part though?

Do you mean the cost of buying the remote part   Or     Programming the remote part

Reprogramming of the Focus MK3 PATS immobilizer system (and transponder keys) requires authorized access to the online Ford FDRS system. Access to the PATS programming functions is only granted to Ford employees or as a paid subscription for verified third party users that are acredited for security access.

Very few independent auto locksmiths are acredited to have security access.

• Like 1

does that mean that places like Timpsons can't just clone a key or can that still be done (as opposed to programming PATS to accept an additional key with a different ID)

4 hours ago, isetta said:

does that mean that places like Timpsons can't just clone a key or can that still be done (as opposed to programming PATS to accept an additional key with a different ID)

mmm... Timpsons can do it, but they quoted me £150 for a blo*dy spare key, for a 15 year old car LOL

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club