Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange behaviour after service

FFO17

Hi,

I own a Mk6.5 Fiesta (06, 1.25l). I very recently (2 days ago) had a full service done along with: replacement timing belt (timing belt kit), replacement water pump, replacement Aux drive/belt. My car feels slightly different now than what it did previously (I expected it to but not so much this). The car hadn't had a recorded service within the last 20k miles (it has only 68k as of now).

I noticed the engine shakes quite a bit more more than it did before particularly above 3k rpm, and when I depress my clutch fully, the car travels less distance than before, before it comes to a stop (not sure if its just my mind). However acceleration response seems a fair bit better (the bit i expected).

Me and a friend compared our engines side by side matching revs and notices my engine shook more than his, and he has a 1.4 of the same year and model. I'm not sure if this proves or disproves anything. He (who knows a couple engineers/technicians) and said it could be a timing issue with the engine. Is this correct? (would it produce these differences).

Can anyone give me advice as to whether this should be the case?  (I know nothing about mechanics of cars and this is my first car :).

It could be a timing issue, but I'd say it was more likely to be engine mounts giving the shaking. Just take it to a garage if in doubt as it's hard to diagnose (or even see if it's shaking that bad) without seeing it in person.

Identical brand new engines can be noticeably different due to the cumulative effects of production tolerances, so comparing it to chummies car proves nothimg.

To take your points one at a time...

1.  Engine may shake on its mounts a touch if idle speed is low, or if a mount is failing.  Neither will have anything to do with a service or cambelt change.

2. Rolling while declutching will be down to brake binding or tyre pressures.  Nowt to do with the work you've had done.

3.  It feels good and sprightly, so the service has actually done it good.

If the idle speed looks good, 825-850 rpm when engine up to temp, and if the engine isn't leaping about the engine bay like a bucking bronco, I wouldn't sweat it too much.  The mounts are designed to support the engine under load, not being revved while stationary.

The engine mount will have been removed for the timing belt...they collapse a bit over time and rebound when the engine weight is lifted off.  Just needs to settle again and it'll be fine.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club