Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fuel filler door

nickblackedge

Hi can anyone tell me if the fuel filler door should be lock when the car is lock . Was giving the car a clean earlier car locked and the keys in the house rubbed over the filler door and it opened should this not be lock when the car is locked . 

Yes it should be locked. Strangely if you open the filler flap then lock the car, the filler flap remains unlocked and you can open and close it as you please. If it is closed when you lock the car, it locks the flap. 

My old Focus ST had a filler flap that never locked. It supposedly didn’t need to lock because of the easy fuel system. It might have had easy fuel but there was nothing to stop someone putting sugar or another substance inside as the easy fuel was simple to overcome. 

No.  The easy fuel system stops anyone syphoning fuel so the flap does not lock.

Beaten to it lol - the focus and fiesta flaps don't lock with easyfuel so why would the Edge?

My Edge flap is certainly locked. I just went out and checked. 

My Mondeo flap locked,  my new C-Max doesn't 

Mine doesn’t lock- just checked. Have a focus RS and that doesn’t either 

Just got back from shopping :sad: locked the car and I can still open the filler flap . Will phone the dealer tomorrow to get an answer on this . I will let you guys know . Thanks for the replys

Just on the off chance the year / sync version can make a difference, will those who have checked mind putting their versions for comparison ?

Mine is an Edge Sport, registered January 2017, has Sync 3 and fuel flap locks with central locking. 

Mine is an edge sport , registered march 2017  has sync 3 but the fuel flap doesn't lock with the central locking .

Juat spoke to the dealer . He said as far as they are aware all new fords don't have a locking filler flap , because of the capless system . He went and checked 2 other edge's and an rsball opened with the cars locked . Just seems strange that anyone can open it when your away from the car .

It seems some do have a lock on ETIS...

2017 Edge - Capless Fuel Filler With Lock

2012 Focus - Capless Fuel Filler Without Lock

Not sure why they started fitting locks again.  They removed them for insurance reasons.  Basically when the easyfuel system first came out, people were causing a lot of damage to get the flap open as they thought they could steal the fuel with there being no locking cap - obviously they couldn't despite causing the damage.  It cost a lot in insurance pay outs so they just removed the lock, allowing people to easily open it and see they can't easily nick the fuel...

• Like 1

Brand new edges have locks, and 66plates have too. 

Mondeo has too.

kuga, focus,fiesta hasnt

• Like 1

Seems strange that some lock and others don't. If some  have it why not all cars having it .Even the dealers haven't got a clue about it .

Mine was registered mar 17 and doesn’t lock. 

Just checked mine. Fuel cap locked...

Sport Powershift. Reg Mar 17 but built July 16 (Sync 2)

Built Dec 16, Reg Mar 17 - Fuel cap locked.

Built Sept 2016, 66 Plate Sport w/sync3 and the fuel filler cap locks.

There seems to be no firm pattern above.  Some lock, some don’t.  Mine (which locks) is Auto I case that is relevant, though I fail to see why it should be.  

sounds more like some are faulty and dont lock. 

check etis if it should have locking as @TomsFocus checked

I’ve just been on Etis. It used to show all the build info on your car now I just get a basic summary with colour, power, model and vin. What’s happened ?

You need to log in to see that info now.  Can register as an IO though.

I couldn’t care less if it locks or not to be honest!

28 minutes ago, NeilRS said:

I couldn’t care less if it locks or not to be honest!

i couldnt care less also.