Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ELM Config help (Activating cruise control)

Tambros

Ford Focus II 2010 - ELM Config 0.2.17c

Hi guys, I'm trying to activate cruise control on my car. I managed to activate it in GEM and HEC but struggling in the PCM. Getting error non-empty VID block found in the PCM module. 

Here is a video of what i'm doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODUdxjR7uvY

If someone can point out what i'm doing wrong would be very appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, mastachaz said:

did you try using foccus ?

I read foccus only works on ford models 2012 onwards?

Have you selected the right 'pcm type' on the stop down box?

When I activated cruise control I was  getting an error.

I changed the pcm type to my car ,a 1.6tdci. It was on something else when I got the error.

22 minutes ago, Yungog said:

Have you selected the right 'pcm type' on the stop down box?

When I activated cruise control I was  getting an error.

I changed the pcm type to my car ,a 1.6tdci. It was on something else when I got the error.

Thought when you read it, it chooses what ever it is. Is what i'm doing the correct procedure for changing the pcm settings?

Try this link, it's from a member from Brazil.

Activatingngcruise control Focus MK2/2.5 ELMconfig 

26 minutes ago, wilto said:

Try this link, it's from a member from Brazil.

Activatingngcruise control Focus MK2/2.5 ELMconfig 

thanks i've realised what i've done wrong now ill give it another go tomorrow

I forget the right steps but its a pain...

the way I see the world the PCM has three bits of info in the config 1) the engine map 2) the immobiliser settings and 3) a blank bit (to which you can add for the cruise control workings)

you download the PCM info from the car to your laptop, then write the cruise control data back to the Blank area of the PCM config (AKA Vid block) ... then write the modified config back to the car and hey presto it works...

or is it the vid block is the cruise bit but missing a hidden tick (to make it work) buried inside the code and you extract it, then write the tick whilst on your laptop and write everything back (with the ticked bit) to the PCM

if anyone can write a better way to describe stuff I'd be happy

Happy days, I had the same issue with mine, when I activated mine, I ended up making the car totally useless, but I ended up doing somehow with the help of members on here, wouldn't be without it.

• Like 1

yeah, its a total pain in the *****, I remember getting an engine Malf warning which wouldn't go away, the key part was to follow every single step to the letter I think didn't turn it off fully when I should have. in any case, I also remember having to dump the full PCM, make the changes then upload the full PCM. it was all a bit Eeeek at the time but has been stela since :)

• Like 1

... love the post about follow the instructions to the letter. I have NEVER seen a complete set of instructions... that's the whole problem. 

A) between different models which bits of the tool you need is different

B) the names and the placement of the boxes have changed between version changing.

C) the tool has been through umpteen revisons and some don't allow you to complete these steps with one version of the tool

thinking more clearly.... there are three elements inside the PCM as I said, 1) Engine Map, 2) Immobiliser info 3) the disabled cruise control software.

either the last bit (or the whole lot) is called the "vid block" (not sure why)

you can't enable cruise control by talking directly to the PCM,

you have to download a copy from your PCM with all three elements to your PC.  Thus you end up with a saved file on your PC.  Now you can write the enable message (tick the cruise control bit) to this version sitting on your laptop.  Save a copy of this modified file (so you always have the original in case it all goes horribly wrong).  Now write the modified file to your car's PCM

for me upload  / save  / write buttons are all named wrongly which is most of the confusion.  If it had "Save to PC" and "Write to vehicle" it would make MUCH more sense

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Botus said:

... love the post about follow the instructions to the letter. I have NEVER seen a complete set of instructions... that's the whole problem. 

A) between different models which bits of the tool you need is different

B) the names and the placement of the boxes have changed between version changing.

C) the tool has been through umpteen revisons and some don't allow you to complete these steps with one version of the tool

thinking more clearly.... there are three elements inside the PCM as I said, 1) Engine Map, 2) Immobiliser info 3) the disabled cruise control software.

either the last bit (or the whole lot) is called the "vid block" (not sure why)

you can't enable cruise control by talking directly to the PCM,

you have to download a copy from your PCM with all three elements to your PC.  Thus you end up with a saved file on your PC.  Now you can write the enable message (tick the cruise control bit) to this version sitting on your laptop.  Save a copy of this modified file (so you always have the original in case it all goes horribly wrong).  Now write the modified file to your car's PCM

for me upload  / save  / write buttons are all named wrongly which is most of the confusion.  If it had "Save to PC" and "Write to vehicle" it would make MUCH more sense

I'm a bit scared to attempt it now reading how many people have messed up :laugh:

Has anyone got detailed instructions preferably with photos on how to enable it on the PCM. I've read so many different posts on how to do it and there all different and don't generally make sense. 

you won't find one, my recollection of this is...

1) download the software from your vehicle's PCM to your PC (depending on baud rate of the OBDC adaptor you have this can be from 12 to 40 minutes)

2) save this file and keep it safe

3) copy the file you just saved and edit this version, enabling the cruise control and save it to your PC (a few seconds)

4) Now write this modified file back the vehicle's PCM (around 10 minutes)

that's all you do BUT working out how and following those steps using stupidly named buttons in the tool is the complex bit. 

try this then my post on page 101

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-~elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/?do=findComment&comment=560544

nah NOT going to even guess.... the tool's buttons are madness

Powertrain Control Module.jpg

24 minutes ago, Botus said:

you won't find one, my recollection of this is...

1) download the software from your vehicle's PCM to your PC (depending on baud rate of the OBDC adaptor you have this can be from 12 to 40 minutes)

2) save this file and keep it safe

3) copy the file you just saved and edit this version, enabling the cruise control and save it to your PC (a few seconds)

4) Now write this modified file back the vehicle's PCM (around 10 minutes)

that's all you do BUT working out how and following those steps using stupidly named buttons in the tool is the complex bit. 

try this then my post on page 101

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-~elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/?do=findComment&comment=560544

nah NOT going to even guess.... the tool's buttons are madness

Is there anyone in the Lincolnshire area able to do this for me :laugh:

OK latest thinking...instructions below are what I think the numbered buttons do

1) read from car's PCM to the tool

4) save what it read (and is thus open) to a file on your PC (which you then edit to enable cruise)

3) open a saved file from the PC to the tool (.. the one you have modified - but ensure you have kept a unmodified one to hand ! )

2) write the "live" version the tool has open, back to the car

so If I got that right, each button should say

1) READ vehicle PCM bin file (config)

4) SAVE a copy of vehicle PCM bin file

3) OPEN a saved PCM bin file

2) WRITE current PCM bin file to vehicle

Here are a set of instructions that I wrote for someone else (possibly @wilto)that was having difficulty with the PCM:

On the Information Page select “Read” in order to determine the module type (ESU-131 
in my case). 

Click on “Procedures” then “Page 2”
Select the PCM type as identified on the information page from the drop-down menu. 
Then select “Read firmware from PCM to BIN-file”
You will get a warning about disabling power saving and screen saver. Click OK. 
This next step may take some time and you may feel decidedly anxious whilst you wait –
I certainly did – it took 78 minutes to read the PCM. 
Then select “Load firmware from PHF/HEX/BIN-file”. 
You will get a warning about a non-empty VID block – select “No”. 

Click on “Configuration”
Ticked the box for “Integrated speed control”. 

Click on “Procedures” to switch back to the procedures page. 
Turn the ignition off. 
Switch it back on to position 2. 
Then select “Write current firmware to PCM”. I think it was at this stage that I was asked 
if I wanted to use the current configuration for the PCM – I selected “Yes”. 
This stage took about 15 minutes. 
Click on “Configuration”. 
Click on “Read from PCM”. 
Click on “Save to file” and save it to laptop. 
Check that “Integrated Speed Control” box is ticked. 
Click on “Write to PCM”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amending the HEC and GEM are nearly always completed successfully without any problems being experienced. Several users who have had difficulty in editing the PCM (after following all guidance correctly) have ultimately traced the problem to a bad ELM cable. 

53 minutes ago, Dan P said:

Amending the HEC and GEM are nearly always completed successfully without any problems being experienced. Several users who have had difficulty in editing the PCM (after following all guidance correctly) have ultimately traced the problem to a bad ELM cable. 

thanks i'll give it a try tomorrow. I've done too much research, scared I'm going to brick it now. If i follow exactly what you say and something goes wrong like an error appears or it turns out I've got a bad ELM cable is it likely my car is bricked 

3 hours ago, Tambros said:

Is there anyone in the Lincolnshire area able to do this for me :laugh:

All I had to do was 

Read from gem

Tick cruise control

Write to gem

Read from hec

Tick cruise control

Write to hec

Read pcm

Tick cruise control configuration

Write to pcm.

Thats all that was needed for mine to work.

No messing with firmware.

15 minutes ago, Yungog said:

All I had to do was 

Read from gem

Tick cruise control

Write to gem

Read from hec

Tick cruise control

Write to hec

Read pcm

Tick cruise control configuration

Write to pcm.

Thats all that was needed for mine to work.

No messing with firmware.

That is what I did originally, I get a vid block error. I linked a video on the first post showing what I was doing. What software are you using?

9 hours ago, Tambros said:

That is what I did originally, I get a vid block error. I linked a video on the first post showing what I was doing. What software are you using?

I was using elmconfig 2.17 version.

I had an issue the first time I tried,it was because the pcm type selected was wrong.

I think it was set on 1.6,1.8 petrol when my car is the 1.6tdci.

I just changed it to the 1.6tdci and worked perfectly.

11 hours ago, Dan P said:

I've done several of these with the same cable no problems.  Then tried to do one a couple of weeks ago but just couldn't get rid of the 'vid block' issue so had to give up in the end.  Cable still works fine on other cars and I've done another since with no problems.  Can't understand what caused it as I don't see it being the cable in this case.  :unsure: 

Maybe there's a connectivity problem within the OBD port on that particular car?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mjt said:

Maybe there's a connectivity problem within the OBD port on that particular car?

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Was trying to blame the cable, or the laptop, or the latest update of ELMC' at the time lol!

• 11 months later...
Hello, my friend, I have an error also in PCM module. However, I do not understand why the PCM information screen does not display PCM TYPE and firmware.
My Ford Focus is this:
GLX (2009-2013) (Sigma 1.6 flexfuel 116cv
C307 FSAO, 1.6L Duratec Ti-VCT ffv-sigma
It is 1.6 manual gearbox.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club