Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluefin for Fiesta ST - Still bad?

Nathana94

After scrolling through countless threads from 2013-2014 - is anyone still using Bluefin? I just used Bluefin on my ST2 and it feels like it absolutely flys, but I’ve read a lot of people saying it causes big issues in the future on STs, and that the turbo charger can’t handle it.. but this was all years ago.

is anyone using superchips on their ST and finding any issues? Should I take it off and take it to another company like Revo?

It's ok for stage 1 but got stage 2 they've just increased the boost pressure higher than any other tuner, last time I looked they also don't recommend any of the hardware changes the others do apart from an induction kit

42 minutes ago, MarksST said:

It's ok for stage 1 but got stage 2 they've just increased the boost pressure higher than any other tuner, last time I looked they also don't recommend any of the hardware changes the others do apart from an induction kit

Cheers Mark - I’m only at stage one at the minute. Got a k&n panel filter in there but I’m thinking of swapping that out for an ITG induction with it being away from the engine. If I change anything else will probably go with Revo or Peron for a stage 2 map. Had any experience with either?

I haven't, I'm Mountune through and through, lol. If I wasn't it would be either of those or Collins.

12 hours ago, MarksST said:

I haven't, I'm Mountune through and through, lol. If I wasn't it would be either of those or Collins.

As much as I’d love to go with mountune, I love the sound from the ITG induction and I think I want to go with Cobra for the exhaust. What do you have on yours at the min?

On 19/03/2018 at 8:05 PM, MarksST said:

MR230

What’s the drive like on that? I’ve noticed my fuel seems to drop a hell of a lot faster after this bluefin remap. Even through reserved driving it’s dropping faster than I expected. It’s averaging 30mpg in a bit of stop start traffic. Am I just too used to the mpg I got from my 1.0?

I've been using Superchips since the early 90's in many different makes and never had any issues, other than Mountune and Litchfeilds for me I'd not use anyone else.  That said any map puts more stress on the turbo of which could cause problems after many miles, of which also apply's to other components..

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2018 at 4:38 PM, G.P said:

I've been using Superchips since the early 90's in many different makes and never had any issues, other than Mountune and Litchfeilds for me I'd not use anyone else.  That said any map puts more stress on the turbo of which could cause problems after many miles, of which also apply's to other components..

Apologies for reviving an old thread - but what would you consider many miles..? The car is just over 15k at the min, but don’t want the turbo giving up at 30k haha

1 hour ago, Nathana94 said:

Apologies for reviving an old thread - but what would you consider many miles..? The car is just over 15k at the min, but don’t want the turbo giving up at 30k haha

I'm not familiar with specific weak points on the Fiesta ST, but in my experience modifying cars the longevity is far more impacted by a) how you care for the car (regular oil changes, servicing etc.) and b) how you drive the car (letting it warm up properly, not launching it like you're at Santa Pod every time you take off etc.) than how many miles you have done. This is true for modified and un-modified cars really. Apologies for going off on a tangent but there is a ridiculous obsession in the UK with how many miles a car has done, when the real question is how has the car been treated. Give me a well cared for car that has done 100k miles over one that has been abused and only done 30k miles any day of the week.

In terms of turbo cars, a modest increase in boost pressure shouldn't overly stress the turbo but obviously the more you wind it up, the more stress you are going to be putting on it and the greater the risk of it going wrong. I would check on some of the other FiST forums to see at what points people have had issues with the stock turbo. As well as boost pressure, the other thing a map adjusts is fueling and ignition timing, and the issue that can be created is known as "knock" (google it for more info, but essentially it's fuel igniting when it shouldn't). Knock is very bad news but can be mitigated by proper dyno tuning, ideally for 98+ Octane fuel which is more stable.

To summarise, I imagine you would be absolutely fine with off-the shelf tune like Bluefin, but personally I would only let my car be mapped by a trusted tuner who did some dyno runs and ideally road tuning as well to make sure there is nothing untoward happening.

I've chipped/mapped a few but the ones that stick out are a cosy that ran 400bhp that covered 50/60k (head gasket did go, common problem back then) and currently a Leon TDi that's covered 80k without issues, all the others have only ever covered 20-30k, but all without fault.  All of which were/are always warmed up, cooled down and with more oil changes than recommended and IMO run on a quality oil.

I also know of a friends RS3 running over 450bhp on 35k and a TTRS on 80k both of which without problems, no idea of if they are warmed up but the oils changed regularly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club