Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Titanium boot badge issue

Rumblestrip

I’ve bought this matte black titanium boot badge for my car but it came loosely attached to the paper (paper not shown in image). The double sided tape was poo so decided to replace it with some 2.5mm 3M double sided. 

My issue is applying it to the car without It looking wonky. I know the oem badges come with a jig that applies the badge nice and straight but as I’ve said mine came on a useless bit of paper and I’ve replaced the DS tape  

How can I get this on my car without it looking sh*t?

0E28BBA8-B61A-490B-A605-CD31B1DD1B96.jpeg

Use a bit of masking tape to get a straight line first.  Can remove and re-apply it a few times to get it perfect with no damage.  Then just line the badge against it top or bottom.

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Use a bit of masking tape to get a straight line first.  Can remove and re-apply it a few times to get it perfect with no damage.  Then just line the badge against it top or bottom.

I’d thought about that but I don’t have much of a straight edge to work with and the letters being individual and only 3mm wide. The i would be a nightmare. 

I take it you don’t have the badge there already then? If you did then it would be easier to just get a rattle can of plastidip and spray it while it’s on the car, any overspray can be peeled straight off. 

A spirit level and masking tape is your best bet, if you have one with a laser ‘cross hair’ then that would be ideal. You can pick one up for a few quid on amazon, always one on lightening deals. If you are worried about spacing etc then I suggest you put a piece of low tac tape on a piece of A4 paper and then line your letters up as if on the car, then on the tape put a mark where each of the letters meet the tape. Then transfer the tape onto the car and there you have it. 

Do a google image search of the badge on other similar cars so you have an idea where Ford position it and also what they Line it up against, it may be the shut line or it may be inline with another edge?

29 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I take it you don’t have the badge there already then? If you did then it would be easier to just get a rattle can of plastidip and spray it while it’s on the car, any overspray can be peeled straight off. 

A spirit level and masking tape is your best bet, if you have one with a laser ‘cross hair’ then that would be ideal. You can pick one up for a few quid on amazon, always one on lightening deals. If you are worried about spacing etc then I suggest you put a piece of low tac tape on a piece of A4 paper and then line your letters up as if on the car, then on the tape put a mark where each of the letters meet the tape. Then transfer the tape onto the car and there you have it. 

Do a google image search of the badge on other similar cars so you have an idea where Ford position it and also what they Line it up against, it may be the shut line or it may be inline with another edge?

Tape seems to be the way to go. Spacing should ok as I have plenty plastic spacers from work. It doesn’t need spraying black as it’s already matte black, I’ve put a clear acrylic lacquer on it to match the gloss black focus badge I bought. I just thought someone might know of a jig or something. 

• Like 1

A spirit level won't work unless you can park on perfectly flat ground with even weight in both sides of the car.

The dealers don't fit badges perfectly straight anyway, the one on my mk2 has always been wonky...  Didn't notice until it was pointed out, then I was noticing wonky ones on half the Focii round here! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

A spirit level won't work unless you can park on perfectly flat ground with even weight in both sides of the car.

The dealers don't fit badges perfectly straight anyway, the one on my mk2 has always been wonky...  Didn't notice until it was pointed out, then I was noticing wonky ones on half the Focii round here! :laugh: 

True, didn’t really think that through lol. I tend to use my eye as my straight line when it comes to the car, never let me down so far. 

Im more used to removing badges rather than adding them though.

@Rumblestrip do you have a link to the black focus badge, I might give that a go

19 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

True, didn’t really think that through lol. I tend to use my eye as my straight line when it comes to the car, never let me down so far. 

Im more used to removing badges rather than adding them though.

@Rumblestrip do you have a link to the black focus badge, I might give that a go

Yeah sure. It looks really nice, glossy and identical to the original. Haven’t fitted mine yet. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172980987103

4145D032-4E09-4647-BF44-E4380A084DB6.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Neil. I’m going to have a look and might do that, as I said I normally debadge , maybe it’s time to try something new

Think mine will go well against the metallic black of my car. Hopefully. 

Isn't there any marks from where the old badges were? I'm planning on getting a new 'S' badge as the one on my car has faded. They normally have a red fill on them. Hopefully when I remove the old one there will be an outline of where it was. 

11 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Isn't there any marks from where the old badges were? I'm planning on getting a new 'S' badge as the one on my car has faded. They normally have a red fill on them. Hopefully when I remove the old one there will be an outline of where it was. 

There wasn’t one fitted in the first place. I think Ford stopped fitting then to the mk3.5

They didn't fit Titanium badges to the mk3 either.

Puts off thieves if they think it's just a Zetec lol! :biggrin:

thieves nicking a titanium? 

i dont even bother locking my car ( zetec) 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They didn't fit Titanium badges to the mk3 either.

Puts off thieves if they think it's just a Zetec lol! :biggrin:

My previous car (mk3 Titanium) had a titanium badge

Out of curiosity, why do you want the Titanium badge on the back? As above, it’s a bit ‘showy’ for thieves.

11 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Out of curiosity, why do you want the Titanium badge on the back? As above, it’s a bit ‘showy’ for thieves.

I wasn’t going to until I found a black titanium badge that will match my black focus badge. Think the two together will look good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rumblestrip said:

My previous car (mk3 Titanium) had a titanium badge. 

That's odd, I looked at a few before buying and didn't see one Titanium badge!  Wonder if it was an option when new.  

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

That's odd, I looked at a few before buying and didn't see one Titanium badge!  Wonder if it was an option when new.  

I don't recall seeing titanium badges on MK3 either, but now editing this as I had a look on auto trader and seen some early ones with them .

My last car, 12 plate titanium, definitely had it. I’ve seen a few on auto trader too. Don’t know why they’re selective with them. 

they are 3D print , so dont have special badge double side , you need this to proper hold and dont make any scratches to paint work.

I alway use something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-DOUBLE-SIDED-BADGE-MOUNT-FOAM-TAPE-AUTOMOTIVE-GRADE-NUMBER-PLATES-CAR-TRIM/190878782702?hash=item2c714314ee:m:m7AkaFfqDojsCPC2F3R7gew

off course you have to do each letter separate but its worth it.

4 hours ago, iantt said:

I don't recall seeing titanium badges on MK3 either, but now editing this as I had a look on auto trader and seen some early ones with them .

i have early mk3 facelift titanium no badge

What i read somewhere titanium badge its optional