Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Security

Joe519

Considering all the mk7 ST's going missing lately. I was wondering what ford have done if anything to improve security on the new Mk8 fiestas?

My mum has just taken delivery of her new st line (Great car by the way and has tempted me back to a fiesta after swapping to a focus last year). I noticed the obd port has been moved down below the change cubby hole and now sits in a metal frame with a plastic cap over it.  Wonder if there has been any other changes that anyone knows of?

It's shocking how many cars are being stolen and the length the scum will go to get them. I personally try and take as many precautions as i can!

There is only so much they can do within EU regulation as the OBD port must be both physically and electrically accessible to ensure independent garages can work on the car.

It sounds like they've made it more difficult to reach through the window by lowering the port and have hopefully sorted the alarm blind spot. Lower models also get the interior sensors now, not just the ST.

That said, all keyless cars regardless of manufacturer are vunerable to wireless relay theft.

You can use tins and pouches to block the signal from your key when you're not using the car. You can also ask the dealer to turn off the keyless entry if you don't want to use it.

10 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

There is only so much they can do within EU regulation as the OBD port must be both physically and electrically accessible to ensure independent garages can work on the car.

It sounds like they've made it more difficult to reach through the window by lowering the port and have hopefully sorted the alarm blind spot. Lower models also get the interior sensors now, not just the ST.

That said, all keyless cars regardless of manufacturer are vunerable to wireless relay theft.

You can use tins and pouches to block the signal from your key when you're not using the car. You can also ask the dealer to turn off the keyless entry if you don't want to use it.

Hopefully the steps they've taken may help.

Then i think its still down to the owner to take extra precaution. Like you said tin/pouches are an easy step to take aswell as a lock to act as a deterrent. Shouldn't have to think like this but unfortunately its the way it seems to be now.

All you can do is make it difficult, if they want it enough they'll get it. It's why we have insurance.

Don't really want people breaking in to your house for they keys either.

4 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Hi Alex,

Could you tell me what wireless relay theft is please and why you should block your key signal when not using the car?

I thought when not using, it was locked and deadlocked?

The dealer did say the mk8 asks for full alarm system arming or partial, something along those lines and just to leave it set to full as they didn't know why ford had made this an option.

The keyless/wireless thing is all new to me and would like to try and understand.

Than kyou.

Just now, Mavroz said:

Hi Alex,

Could you tell me what wireless relay theft is please and why you should block your key signal when not using the car?

I thought when not using, it was locked and deadlocked?

The dealer did say the mk8 asks for full alarm system arming or partial, something along those lines and just to leave it set to full as they didn't know why ford had made this an option.

The keyless/wireless thing is all new to me and would like to try and understand.

Than kyou.

On keyless entry cars (from any manufacturer), the car is emitting a low range signal all the time, when the key comes within range it wakes up and responds with the unlock code, so when you grab the handle the car unlocks.

Criminals can use relays to boost the signal from the car to wake your key up (that most people leave by their front door) and relay the signal from the key back to the car, so the car thinks it's in range and unlocks. You use tins or Faraday pouches to block the signal to/from the key.

• Like 1

Sorry can't get a link to the pdf but search for   Relay Attacks on Passive Keyless Entry and Start Systems in Modern Cars good article

20 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

All you need to know about keyless security is here 332.pdf

Doesn't seem to be a link.

29 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

On keyless entry cars (from any manufacturer), the car is emitting a low range signal all the time, when the key comes within range it wakes up and responds with the unlock code, so when you grab the handle the car unlocks.

Criminals can use relays to boost the signal from the car to wake your key up (that most people leave by their front door) and relay the signal from the key back to the car, so the car thinks it's in range and unlocks. You use tins or Faraday pouches to block the signal to/from the key.

THank you. I guess the mk8 Fiesta as standard isn't true keyless then as you still have to press a fob button to wake the car up, open mirrors, turn on lights, open doors etc etc.

You just don't need the key, only the fob when using the car.

Thanks again for the explanation,keyless entries are a new thing to us.

4 hours ago, Mavroz said:

THank you. I guess the mk8 Fiesta as standard isn't true keyless then as you still have to press a fob button to wake the car up, open mirrors, turn on lights, open doors etc etc.

You just don't need the key, only the fob when using the car.

Thanks again for the explanation,keyless entries are a new thing to us.

I'm not sure that's right mate, it's named "keyless entry", because I think it should open like you describe?

Mk8 is available with and without keyless entry. Many models have keyless start, not sure if there are still key equipped lower models.

Thanks for the clarity. Yes Alex, i think many of the lower models are all key start.

@Joe519 Since it is now in a metal frame would it be possible to move the OBD port as in the MK7 or not?

8 hours ago, kpdsk13 said:

@Joe519 Since it is now in a metal frame would it be possible to move the OBD port as in the MK7 or not?

I will have to check. I'm guessing there will be a way to move it though. Or use the existing frame work and nuts to make a blanking plate? I'll try and get a picture this week

On 20/03/2018 at 7:27 PM, Joe519 said:

I will have to check. I'm guessing there will be a way to move it though. Or use the existing frame work and nuts to make a blanking plate? I'll try and get a picture this week

Thank you @Joe519

Here's a photo of the ODB location for the mk8 fiesta, not an overly secure place imo...

obdpic.jpg

11 hours ago, lst said:

Here's a photo of the ODB location for the mk8 fiesta, not an overly secure place imo...

obdpic.jpg

Jesus, I thought they would at least hide it away behind the dashboard like the MK7! Probably will have to move it!

It's lower down than the mk7 so harder to reach. It doesn't really matter if it's behind a removable panel or not if scum know where it is.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club