Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox leak

TDR|XTC

The car is starting to get from one problem to another.

I changed the engine mount on the Fiesta and looked around a bit under the car and noticed that is a oil leak near the engine mount. I hope it's not something serious. ...Thoughts?

Thank you!

IMG_20180320_185614.jpg

Looking at the picture it looks like you would need a new driveshaft oil seal as it looks to be coming out of where the drive shaft is, Is the driveshaft look ok? Like is there any broken cv joints that would allow the driveshaft to dislodge slightly allowing fluid loss, I wouldn't drive the car unless you still have plenty of oil still in the gearbox as the last thing you want to do is overheat the gearbox with insufficient transmission fluid and toast the gearbox and cause total failure.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Also looking at the picture that looks like the intermediate drive shaft that connects the driver side to the gearbox if UK or passenger side if America or Europe, check there is also no play in the baring that the intermediate shaft sits through , it will be further left on your picture.

• Like 1

from the pic it is hard to say if I would worry or not if it was my car. I would check gearbox oil level.  Also we do not know if that amount of oil has appeared over a long period of time or is a bit more sudden. if it appears to be getting worse quickly and actually dripping where you park the car then it will need attention. But if you keep an eye on it and it does not appear to get much worse and does not start dripping when parked it might not matter so much. Of course it would be better if it was fixed (I agree it looks like driveshaft seal leak) but it kind of depends on how much work you might want to do or how much money you want to spend .  as I said, if mine, I would check oil level in gearbox and keep an eye on the leak

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I will change those soon. Can the gearbox oil be changed somehow, i see the shops sell 72W90 oil for 5 speed!?

if i remember correctly there is no drain plug. no one does gearbox oil changes. it kind of lasts forever it seems. a load will run out of the box when you take drive shaft out to change oil seal. 

Then it means you can top it up, somehow. Seen a youtube vid a few mins ago where a guy was pumping oil into the gearbox!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club