Been doing bits an bobs these past few weeks.
So found a donor same colour in my local scrapyard. Got the door lamps and latter went for the bumper and the spoiler.
Tried to restore them with wet sanding and then spraying lacquer on, one of them had a crack at the bottom and had to open it, some guys put it in the oven for a bit, well my oven is gas heated and the bottom is a lot hotter, slightly melted the bottom of it and there was a hole, tiger sealed it up.
I went by crisfix video on youtube and the advice of putting clear coat on them afterwards to protect them, well... I tried my best, but had orange peal, wet sanded and polish as best I could but still did not had perfectly clear finish.
I managed this at the first try witch was pretty decent, but then used wrong alcohol to clean it and messed it up shortly after this picture
So a good week I spent wet sanding, spraying clear coat, wet sanding and respraying again, then once I finished one of them had to reseal it, this time I preheated the oven and turned it off then put it in, clear coat shrunk and made cracks and this point I don't even remember how many times I redid them, but this is the result, better than before but not perfect.
I might have a go at putting that clear film on, tough It would be quite hard for a novice I reckon to put it on on these headlights as of the little bulge.
Sanded and filled dents and bigger scratches in the bumper I got, tough since it's off Ill have a go at bumper repair.
Sanded and primed
I was quite pleased with the result till I tried to put base coat on
(posted it on AutoPaint reddit for the pros to have a laugh at a newbie)
I had just a small 150mil can and was quite nervous it won't be enough and messed it all up.
In the process of sanding it all down and I will do the whole bumper, found out Halfords sell moondust silver quite cheep and bigger cans, bought 2.
Spoiler had a massive scratch right at the edge, thought I have learned my lessons and had a go.
Was quite pleased with the result with the base coat.
Till I removed the masking tape 😞 I really tried not to spray any more around than necessary, but yes it had lines, tried my best to 1000 grit wetsand the lines, and applied another base coat and then clear coat. Tomorrow will see how it's done.
I think so far I have done all the major mistakes of a novice painter so hopefully should improve from now on 🙂