Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Common Problems Thread

jamesm182

I have phoned a local auto electricians, they said they would connect my car up to there computer and run the test, the cost is £25 + vat is this the norm

That technique is for old ford's not new immobilisers as they need ids to program keys.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a MK2 Focus in the near future.

I have done lots of research, a lot of it on this forum, and was wondering 2 things:-

1) Is slight rusting on the front wings behind the front wheels a common issue and should I turn away from one that has it?

2) Also a tickety-tickety noise from the engine on tick over - is this normal or a sign of something more worrying/expensive?

One I have my eye on has both these issues but apart from that it seems in excellent nick. It's a 55 plate 1.6 Ghia (115) with a full dealer service history with 66K miles on it.

Any reassurance or advice would be really helpful.

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a MK2 Focus in the near future.

I have done lots of research, a lot of it on this forum, and was wondering 2 things:-

1) Is slight rusting on the front wings behind the front wheels a common issue and should I turn away from one that has it?

2) Also a tickety-tickety noise from the engine on tick over - is this normal or a sign of something more worrying/expensive?

One I have my eye on has both these issues but apart from that it seems in excellent nick. It's a 55 plate 1.6 Ghia (115) with a full dealer service history with 66K miles on it.

Any reassurance or advice would be really helpful.

Slight rusting behind front wheels, are you talking about the lower sills? If so they're galvanised and as long as the rust isn't too heavy they can be rubbed down & repainted.

The 'tickety tickety' noise will be the tappets, some are slightly tappety.

• Like 1

Yes, its the lower edge right under the car.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, its the lower edge right under the car.

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I bought my 2008 focus in March this year it had an inch square bit of paint blasted off on the passenger sill back to the galvanised steel so I bought a tin of matching paint and just patched it then put clear topcoat on it. It has been ok since. (My 2004 fiesta had exactly the same and I repainted both sills on the same area myself)

• Like 1

can any link/ tell me the name of the pipe that links directly between the steering fluid resivour and the pump, not the actual full pipes just the short one?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I have a MKII Focus 1,6 Ti-VCT with SIDA engine code. I have to replace the engine because of the crankshaft :( Which are the difference between my SIDA engine code and the HXDA engine code? Can i replace my engine with an HXDA?

Sigma isn't you're engine code if you have a tivct you have an hxda engine code so like for like dont understand why the crankshaft requires a new engine

Also gear selector seal isn't a common issue in fact ive not had one go on any car ever including any ford

hey guys,, im having the water in plugs problem and my 1.6 focus zetec, my local ford garage seem to be useless it has been with them 4 times and have only changed core plugs, theyr'e now tryna charge me 2k to get a new head,, anyone have any other suggestions of what it might be? PLEASEEE!! :)

Sorry it was water when i first noticed and then coolant after.

Edited by shelleyburges

• 3 weeks later...

Water from leaking washer jets theres revised ones out and coolant from core plugs if they replaced them they may not have done it properly and they're leaking again

• Like 1

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've recently been having some problems with my 05 reg Focus Mk2 Titanium 1.6 Ti-VCT.

The main problem is that if the car is sat un-driven for a day or more, upon the next start the engine will be shaky with the rev counter bouncing up and down, and the Engine Management Light will be lit up along with the warning lights and in limp mode. It takes a fair few starts to get rid of all of this but once they're all gone the car runs perfectly, so whenever I take it to a garage there are no faults to be found. Also when driving normally there is a whining sound coming from the engine that sounds kind of like a supercharger whine, but obviously the focus doesn't have one of those (although that would explain the poor mpg). The whine is most noticeable when down-shifting going towards junctions etc, or when revving past about 2.5k rpm. I'm not sure whether this is just the sound of the fans/belts or if there's a leaking hose somewhere.

Another problem is persistent leaking in the boot, I suspect it's coming from the light clusters as mentioned in a previous post. It's a right pain in the !Removed! having to mop up water from the spare wheel well every time there is heavy rain, even with small holes drilled in the rubber seals in the well for drainage.

Fingers crossed some of you can help me with this issue because I really don't fancy forking out another £100 for a garage diagnostic for it to come up clear - again.

Cheers

- J

Hello to everyone

I am very new and i might wrong post , but still , i dont know where should i ask

I bought an old 55 plate Focus LX 1.4 5dr , and it has some problems . (wich of course i didnt noticed them from the first time and i trusted the seller like a dumb man as i am )

So , the first one is that the speedometer sometimes doesnt moves at all. Sometimes it moves just a little bit (till 5mph) and shaking. Sometimes it works alright .

Second is that the drivers window doesnt gets down . I can hear the electric motor , but doesnt moves the window at all .

Third is that i think the back window heating isnt working . How could i check to be sure?

Forth , the engine get worm very hard , and if i go fast it gets cold quick . Guess its the thermostat ?

Fifth , ABS doesnt work , and there is no light on the dashboard with ABS when i put ignition . And there is no light with airbag neither. Could the old owner removed the lights , cause the car maybe has problems with that?

tx !

You've got issues then the speedo will be the speed sensor on the gearbox ide get a garage to fo it as it can be a pain the abs and airbags a big issue if no light comes on its an mot fail and suggests he's removed the bulbs ir wired it up so they don't come on the only reason for doing that is theres a fault window not moving it may have broke either the mechanism or cable again a pain of a job you'll likely find more issues

2.0tdci engine

i wont call it an issue

just asking anyone els if they have same going on,

just very loud rev sounds

basically like theres no air filter on it -_- (there is) its standard.

tested the engine at jaguar for any leaks by a machine they used, pumped some sort of smoke in to engine block, and there was no smoke leaking out anywhere, that was just a test they did cause was having my mot done and they said didnt sound right,

took it to ford they said it sounds normal, didnt look at it just reved it abit. they said its a diesel there loud,

my step mums kuga has 2.0tdci in it maped different but same engine. and hers isnt as loud but similar,

i dont have another 2.0tdci focus to compare with so anyones info would be greatfull.

----

to sum my question up.

should it sound like its not got a air filter on. :)

thanks in advance

I have a long niggling problem on my 1.8TDCi Focus which started about 6 months ago. When I accelerate the temp gauge on the cluster drops, this also happens when cruising and maintaining speed when going up hill and after a while it returns to the middle. This then leads to some rough running as I think its over fueling based on the incorrect signal and mpg has dropped to around 44mpg. It also produces a P0670 code when scanned, but this goes away when reset. So far I have changed/replaced:

1. glow plugs - no change

2. had car serviced, engine flushed etc as this was required anyway - no change

3. thermostat - no change

4. glow plug relay - no change

5. temp sender - no change

Now Im thinking it could either be the accelerator pedal assembly or the instrument cluster itself. Quite confident I can replace them myself as I have the software required.

What does anyone else think?

does anyone has a haynes repair manual .pdf ?

You can pick it up for like £15 on amazon or at Halfords, if people just get free copies then Haynes might not be around anymore for your next car

Couple of niggles on mine.10 plate Titanium,75000 miles. The catch on the dash cubby has broken. Thinking of gluing a small rare earth magnet to either the dash or lid with a small piece of steel for it to hold onto. The TPMS warning also is on. Tyre pressures are to book. Otherwise, so far, OK.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2015 at 5:18 AM, Dking1996 said:

Thanks for the tip dave....my 2009 focus 1.8 has the exact problem...i will have to look into getting a new starter motor.

On diesel cars with a DMF, the starters get pretty choked up from the DMF/clutch dust. It helps taking the starter out every few years and giving it a light tap to get the dust out and then lubing up the bendix gear in the solenoid with some WD40. I wouldn't use grease as it will make the dust stick to it though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

New to the forum, bought a 2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Diesel LX model last week. 125k miles on the clock. TB done at 88k. No history of whether clutch or turbo was done in the past but both seem fine. 

2 issues I am looking for help with please (apologies if they have been addressed previously).

1. Key stuck in ignition (see pics attached)

Some might ask, why would you buy a car with a key stuck in the ignition (many already have!), but I got a very good price on the car and with some quick research hope this isnt a massive problem to fix. My 2 biggest concerns are theft and the impact on the battery. I left the car idol in a carpark for 3 days when away for the weekend and it started fine on my return, but whenever I open the driver door I am getting the beeping alert that the key is still in the ignition and I believe this is not fully shutting down the electronics? Is that correct? Has anyone every encountered this problem before? In the pictures I have removed a fob that slots in and has like a 2 step key instruction on it?

2. Ticking noise when cold

There is a ticking noise coming from the engine when the car is cold primarily, from previous experience with diesels I initially thought this might be something small like the fan belt but a mechanic friend of mine (with very little english) claimed it could be something to do with an injector and that has me worried. Considering the NCT (MOT) is only 2 months old I assuming there is nothing majorly wrong with the engine, and do plan on going to a ford dealer as soon as I get time to get a checkup/ diagnostics test / service, but hopefully these are expenses I can spare thanks to the knowledge on this forum!

Any help greatly appreciated, and if I havnt provided enough information please let me know and I will provide more.

Thanks!

Sean

key1.JPG

key3.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,I'm new here & i have a problem with my car

I have a focus 1.6 tdci 07 plate 108 bhp

the problem is that i think it has a very poor consumption

average says 36.5 mpg

i only drive only dual cariageways around 10-20 miles per day

also the turbo whistle is a lil bit too loud around 2700-3000 rpm

although the car pulls great

thanks

Could be a small split in the intercooler pipe.

Sent from my SM-G930F