Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk1 Problems

Whittyc

Hi

My Focus Mk1 1.6 edge is a heavy user of coolant but I cant see any leaks. Is it common? or what could be the issue?

Secondly the clutch is high sometimes gear change can be a bit jumpy and the rev counter doesn't seem to be showing a true reflection of what the actual revs are. Is this a sign of the clutch going?

and finally the engine has the common fault of when its idling the revs can go so low that it feels like the engine will cut out however it never does. It sound like a collapsed air pipe in the engine but could someone please describe where I could find it so I could check it

Many thanks

I have a mk1 1.6 Focus and i have to say that since i bought the car(nearly 2 years ago) i haven't even had to put a single drop of coolant in. The clutch has always been a bit high in it, 2 weeks ago it gave serious trouble and wouldn't go past 2k revs and the engine note was extremely loud, stopped driving it but had to use it to get a new battery for my Mondeo and it was the same, but on the way back it was perfect, nice quiet, exactly the way it should be. Have you had anything similar?

• Like 1

I've only had the car two months and it was low on coolant when i got it. I filled it up so whether it was just so low that it needs another top up?? I'll just keep my eye on it I suppose. As for the revs the engine doesn't sound too loud tbh but if I put my foot down the rev counter doesn't really go past 3k revs in any gear even though you know its easily hitting 4-5.

I had a similar problem on my mk2 Mondeo once, I put in a bottle of radweld + in it and coolant loss problem all but disappeared.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ive manged to cure my idle fro going low to high. i replaced to idle control valve.on the 1.6 its at the front of the engine on the rights next to the inlet manifold. also just behind the manifiold there is a pipe which collapse and causes problems.

clutch mine is also high and no known problems

• Like 1

i had also the waterleak problems. it was the thermost housing just below the alternator.

Had this on my MK1, thermostat housing leak most likely. Never fixed it, just kept topping up the coolant once every few weeks, but it was a very slow leak.

Thanks everyone from your info very much appreciated, got a few things to check now :)

Also check that the cap on the expansion tank is sealing properly.

If there is a problem with the seal then coolant can slowly evaporate.

All of the above the water pump can leak but you're see that on the ground the thermostat housing isn't always as obvious as it evaporates on the engine

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club