Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FOCUS ROAD NOISE

Busterbvi

Greetings to the forum, new on here and this may have been discussed already but I have just returned to the UK after 25

years overseas. I bought a 2007 Focus 2.0 Ghia, with 118K on the clock, love the car, drives nice but the road noise is bad. 

It's fitted with 205/55/16 Falkens on the front and Pirelli P7 on the back. I'm thinking of fitting 195 / 70 / 16 tyres. My thinking is, 

a bit more height to absorb noise and a bit less width so less rubber on the road might help reduce the road noise. Thoughts

and suggestions  from other Focus owners would be welcome.

Thanks.

Some people line the wheel arches (top side) with sound deadening products this makes a huge difference from what I've heard

Good morning Tim, my stock tyre sizes are quieter than the wider low profiles I have on now but having said that much depends on the road surface you are driving on buddy.

Tire size 195-70-16 is much to big for a Focus MK2/MK2.5. This will definetely rub inside the wheel arches. 

Tire size 195-60-16 will be a much better alternative. However you should be aware that smaller/higher tires van make the car less stable. Especially at higher speeds. 

Personally I would just change all tires for quiter tires of the prescribed tire size.

Thanks for the replies chaps, is there a consensus of opinions on the quietest tyre available ?

Have Falken 914s all round, they're not the quietest tyre, but they're not that loud. They're also fab grip wise.

Are you sure you've not got any loose/worn suspension components that are compounding the sound?

Possibly, the car is going in next week for a full front and back end check over.

I have been reading about the Continental "Contisilent" tyre, anyone tried these ?

In my experience the Mk2/Mk2.5 is much more susceptible to road noise, and also wind noise, then the Mk1/Mk1.5 and the Mk3 so unless you throw a lot of time and money on soundproofing you'll probably have to learn to live with it.

I find it quite difficult to have a conversation in our Mk2.5 whereas that wasn't a problem with our old Mk1.5 and isn't in our new Mk3.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2017 at 10:34 AM, mjt said:

In my experience the Mk2/Mk2.5 is much more susceptible to road noise, and also wind noise, then the Mk1/Mk1.5 and the Mk3 so unless you throw a lot of time and money on soundproofing you'll probably have to learn to live with it.

I find it quite difficult to have a conversation in our Mk2.5 whereas that wasn't a problem with our old Mk1.5 and isn't in our new Mk3.

100% agree, although my MK2 facelift isn't as bad for wind noise as my pre-facelift saloon.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club