Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


rear shocks


mrmetallica
 Share

Recommended Posts

after having an advisory on a ball joint on the rear no mention this time around wierd .

any way was advised that the rear shock have a light misting of oil on them ? cars only done 47000 miles also brake pipe damaged ?

just wondering what rear shocks would be a good replacement ? its a focus 1.6 titanium .

i would have thought the shocks would last longer then that .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the shocks is not just down to mileage.  different road conditions etc cause the shocks to go up and down more times in a journey than others.

Also the seal on the chrome rod (where the oil gets out and causes the misting) can be affected by more dirt / dust and also by corrosion on the chrome rod causing damage to the seal as the rod goes in and out (so if the car was left outside all of the time in a salty environment near the sea that part would suffer more).

Personally I would not replace them unless it failed the MOT or the damping effect of the shock absorber seemed to have disappeared.

I would want to look at the damaged brake pipe to understand what has happened. I assume not bad otherwise it would fail MOT, but how bad is the damage and how was it caused (eg. debris in road hit it, or some other way eg. handbrake cable rubs on it etc etc)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, isetta said:

the shocks is not just down to mileage.  different road conditions etc cause the shocks to go up and down more times in a journey than others.

Also the seal on the chrome rod (where the oil gets out and causes the misting) can be affected by more dirt / dust and also by corrosion on the chrome rod causing damage to the seal as the rod goes in and out (so if the car was left outside all of the time in a salty environment near the sea that part would suffer more).

Personally I would not replace them unless it failed the MOT or the damping effect of the shock absorber seemed to have disappeared.

I would want to look at the damaged brake pipe to understand what has happened. I assume not bad otherwise it would fail MOT, but how bad is the damage and how was it caused (eg. debris in road hit it, or some other way eg. handbrake cable rubs on it etc etc)

i dont live by the sea lol

i think the brake hose must have hung down as was told he fixed it back best he could .

i understand about the shocks the thing is i dont do a lot of millage so not much going up and down lol

i put new disc and pads on about 2 year ago and now they say they 85% worn .and mentioned that the clutch bite was high its no different to when i bought it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Bite point on MK2 Focus is basically always 'high', it's self adjusting as the clutch wear and it's just how Ford set them up.

its not any different to how its always been so i dont understand them saying its high .was also told oil filter is old . needs changing .my plan shortly

i can understand being told crap from cowboys but not ford

Link to comment
Share on other sites


ford stealers are as guilty as anyone else when it comes to telling porkies lol.

they are still a profit driven private enterprise , not ethical and moral guardians of the motoring world.......

:-D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, biff55 said:

ford stealers are as guilty as anyone else when it comes to telling porkies lol.

they are still a profit driven private enterprise , not ethical and moral guardians of the motoring world.......

:-D 

i realise that now . about 5 years ago they advised me my front wipers and ive still got the same ones on but no mention .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

think i would still have a look at the brake pipe. sounds like it might have been fixed in a kind of temporary way and might need a periodic check to may sure as is still well. but is it the rigid metal brake pipe or a flexible rubber brake hose?   Brake hoses usually do not have intermediate clips between the end joints. the rigid metal brake pipes usually have plastic clips at various intervals along the length to stop them hanging down a bit and catching on obstructions and to stop them vibrating. bearing in mind the importance of brake pipes "he fixed it back best he could" does not exactly inspire confidence

when they gave the verdict on brake pads was this just MOT or a service also. They would not take wheels off just for a mot and it is not always easy to check the pads properly with wheels on. if they used a dentist mirror they might get a better view, I don't know if they would ever do that. 

are your wipers really still ok, they don't last forever, I reckon I replace mine about once per year. I only replace them when their ability to clear the rain well deteriorates, but I reckon that is about once per year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, isetta said:

think i would still have a look at the brake pipe. sounds like it might have been fixed in a kind of temporary way and might need a periodic check to may sure as is still well. but is it the rigid metal brake pipe or a flexible rubber brake hose?   Brake hoses usually do not have intermediate clips between the end joints. the rigid metal brake pipes usually have plastic clips at various intervals along the length to stop them hanging down a bit and catching on obstructions and to stop them vibrating. bearing in mind the importance of brake pipes "he fixed it back best he could" does not exactly inspire confidence

when they gave the verdict on brake pads was this just MOT or a service also. They would not take wheels off just for a mot and it is not always easy to check the pads properly with wheels on. if they used a dentist mirror they might get a better view, I don't know if they would ever do that. 

are your wipers really still ok, they don't last forever, I reckon I replace mine about once per year. I only replace them when their ability to clear the rain well deteriorates, but I reckon that is about once per year. 

it was a solid brake pipe ive had the car from near new only gates fords ford owned it before me it was a year old when i got it.

it was just mot. the wipers are ok maybe a bit hard now will be changing them soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2017 at 1:34 PM, isetta said:

the shocks is not just down to mileage.  different road conditions etc cause the shocks to go up and down more times in a journey than others.

Also the seal on the chrome rod (where the oil gets out and causes the misting) can be affected by more dirt / dust and also by corrosion on the chrome rod causing damage to the seal as the rod goes in and out (so if the car was left outside all of the time in a salty environment near the sea that part would suffer more).

Personally I would not replace them unless it failed the MOT or the damping effect of the shock absorber seemed to have disappeared.

 

Exactly what I would do.

My front shock absorber was much worse than a light misting but was giving no problems after 130,000 miles. Without attention it would have failed for an oil leak. I jacked the front up, dried everthing off with a white spirit soaked rag and bingo, all OK on the MOT.

A replacement shock absorber is on my list of things to do in my own time.

ScaniaPBman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


46 minutes ago, ScaniaPBman said:

Exactly what I would do.

My front shock absorber was much worse than a light misting but was giving no problems after 130,000 miles. Without attention it would have failed for an oil leak. I jacked the front up, dried everthing off with a white spirit soaked rag and bingo, all OK on the MOT.

A replacement shock absorber is on my list of things to do in my own time.

ScaniaPBman.

yeah im going to have a look and see what happens next year .chancers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership