Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Get Black Plastics Back To Black?

Amie07

Hi,

The one and only time i attempted to wax my car which was during the middle of last year i'd say, i didnt do a very good job and managed to get some on the black plastic bits (it's the car in the sig below, so you can see the black plastic bits i mean) anyway depite several washes by myself and the odd few from ford after having repairs done, the black plastics now seem to always have misty white bits on them once dried so i think its from the wax.

Any ideas how i can get rid of this permanently?

Cheers

Hi,

The one and only time i attempted to wax my car which was during the middle of last year i'd say, i didnt do a very good job and managed to get some on the black plastic bits (it's the car in the sig below, so you can see the black plastic bits i mean) anyway depite several washes by myself and the odd few from ford after having repairs done, the black plastics now seem to always have misty white bits on them once dried so i think its from the wax.

Any ideas how i can get rid of this permanently?

Cheers

Start off trying some ground nutmeg oil or peanut butter!! (Local Asda will do both ;))This should lift the misty white out :) You could then apply a dressing if you really wanted to, to make them all shiny :D If you were wanting one for quickness you could get some Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer from Halfrauds.

Good luck :D

Start off trying some ground nutmeg oil or peanut butter!! (Local Asda will do both ;))This should lift the misty white out :) You could then apply a dressing if you really wanted to, to make them all shiny :D If you were wanting one for quickness you could get some Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer from Halfrauds.

Good luck :D

Peanut butter! really? I'll give that a go cos if it doesnt work atleast i get a few peanut butter sarnies out of it! lol :P

The nut oil is an excellent trim restorer - but, it's better to get the marks off first and then dress/restore the trim.

To do this I use either an all purpose cleaner - such as Meguiars - or IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). This shifts the white residue but also leaves the plastic looking dull - so then whack on your nut based products :lol:

IPA is dead easy to find - buy it from pharmacists or even eBay.

ipa can be found in disk cleaning sets that you use to clean your dvd's etc

isopropanol is real good for removing grease etc & can be got from pharmasists/chemists

you can also try a small amount of turps or meths on a cloth

try it where is dont show 1st as a trial or get a tin of gunk tar & bug remover

but pre test it 1st.

Aerospace Protectant 303, use it for all plastics and rubber - inside and outside the car. Also good for stuff under the bonnet. Great to have one product that can do it all!

Gonna try the peanut butter on the car 2day (so hope u weren't pulling my leg! lol)

Think I might transfer some into a different container tho cos I don't want the neighbours thinking I've lost it lol! :-)

Gonna try the peanut butter on the car 2day (so hope u weren't pulling my leg! lol)

Think I might transfer some into a different container tho cos I don't want the neighbours thinking I've lost it lol! :-)

if you want quick and easy get turtle wax back to black gloss trim restorer puts it back to factory trim and it works 4.99 a can from Halfords etc

Ground nut oil costs barely anything and is widely regarded as being one of the best ways of treating ABS trim.

where do you get it? is it summat thats on the shelf in the supermarket and does it last when you put it on or do you have to keep applying it on a daily basis

where do you get it? is it summat thats on the shelf in the supermarket and does it last when you put it on or do you have to keep applying it on a daily basis

Yeah, any supermarket has it. Lasts an eternity on the shelf and equally so when applied to plastic ABS trim :)

Yeah, any supermarket has it. Lasts an eternity on the shelf and equally so when applied to plastic ABS trim smile.gif

ill have a look for it is that all its called just ground nut oil ill give it a shot

It looks like THIS. However, its much cheaper in ASDA <£1

ah im going to asda tomorrow cheers for that now i know what im looking for does it kleave the trim dull or shiny

I gave mine a good buff to leave it dullish looking.

Is this you getting the car all shiny for Sunday? :lol:

I gave mine a good buff to leave it dullish looking.

Is this you getting the car all shiny for Sunday? laugh.gif

yep even though i dont get the rear bushes done till next monday so no flying round corners for me lol

Hoping to have my number plate LED's and interior LED fitted in time tongue.gif

well due to the cost of the bushes my black lexus fog light and reverse light wont be fitted nor will my interior leds as they havent been ordered now just have to order them next fortnight and it will all be done for the next meet i was going to have all this fitted post-8800-12693753186_thumb.jpg

post-8800-126937532094_thumb.jpg

post-8800-126937532204_thumb.jpg

post-8800-126937532422_thumb.jpg

Like the look of the interior strips.

Were you going for green?

yeah my interior lights standard are green and every ones doing blue the intention was to have one in the driver footwell one in the passenger footwell and one under each rear seat lighting up the rear footwells connected to the dash dial for the lights so they came on with the headlights put one small one in each front door handle linked to the interior light so they lit up when you opened with the remote illuminating the cup the badge was for the totally debadged rear black sunstrip and the black lexus lights for the fog etc as my mk1 has the black on the bottom of the bumper so that would tie in with it shame i couldnt get it done but these bushes getting fitted are skinning me 133 quid i never counted on.

so it will be cleaned and polished and coming as is

Good ideas. Agree with the common blue interior theme. I would love something similar in my car. May give it a go in the Summer. My list seems to just get bigger and bigger :lol:

Good ideas. Agree with the common blue interior theme. I would love something similar in my car. May give it a go in the Summer. My list seems to just get bigger and bigger laugh.gif

yeah i know the feeling my lists getting bigger yet i want the outside to stay standard so im keeping the standard height and alloys etc but gonna focus on other stuff get these bushes done and in 2 weeks time start ordering stuff up get them done bit by bit just hope the weather stays decent cant be bothered cleaning it sat and it bloomin rains saturday night meant to rain most of the week and be dull but dry sunday

yeah i know the feeling my lists getting bigger yet i want the outside to stay standard so im keeping the standard height and alloys etc but gonna focus on other stuff get these bushes done and in 2 weeks time start ordering stuff up get them done bit by bit just hope the weather stays decent cant be bothered cleaning it sat and it bloomin rains saturday night meant to rain most of the week and be dull but dry sunday

I may well give it a good going over on Fri and a quick touch up on Sun = Too much time on my hands :lol:

a back to black idea that i use hasnt been posted up on here, go to morrisons (or any other store for that matter) and purchase a 50p bottle of shoe polish (the one with the little sponge applicator attached to a bottle of liquid polish) then simply apply it onto all the black trim, it will simply wipe off the paintwork, yet rainwater will not wash it off the plastics, i have only tried this on the outside of the car, door-handles / boot release etc and it does work! my partner does the same thing on their car, and the same bottle has lasted over a year

for 50p, you cant go wrong

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club