Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

nothing wrong with the mk6 fiesta, learnt to drive in one of those and almost bought one brand new.

sadly there have nbeen a few kas where the leaks just never seem to get fixed not saying yoiures is one but it has been a major problem for ford lately speaking to an old workmate at the garage i worked for they have had 3 whaere no one could determine where the leak was until the welding was checked tiny gaps in the welding was the issue but by that time they had swapped the cars for summat else hope it gets fixed soon

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Amie07

Amie07

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Ford Model: Ka zetec 09

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

sadly there have nbeen a few kas where the leaks just never seem to get fixed not saying yoiures is one but it has been a major problem for ford lately speaking to an old workmate at the garage i worked for they have had 3 whaere no one could determine where the leak was until the welding was checked tiny gaps in the welding was the issue but by that time they had swapped the cars for summat else hope it gets fixed soon

Hey,

well hopefully it'll be 3rd time lucky for me! :)

Had a call from the gen manager today to give me a progress report, he says they've stripped the carpet and soundproofing stuff, apparently the latter was absolutely saturated, so they've now come to the conclusion that there has been a slow leak from day one that has only become noticeable over time, each time they've been repairing bits and drying it only for it to come back to the surface within a couple of months and when the rains been particularly bad.

They still havent worked out exactly where the leak is, he was thinking it could just be a pin prick hole somewhere, but has assured me they will keep working on it until they have sorted it. I feel a lot happier now the gen manager is on the case and i guess it's now in their interests to sort it otherwise they'll have to provide me with a new one.

Anyway in the meantime I've got another few days (at least) with the mk 7 which I'm very much enjoying! :D

#18 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hey,

well hopefully it'll be 3rd time lucky for me! Posted Image

Had a call from the gen manager today to give me a progress report, he says they've stripped the carpet and soundproofing stuff, apparently the latter was absolutely saturated, so they've now come to the conclusion that there has been a slow leak from day one that has only become noticeable over time, each time they've been repairing bits and drying it only for it to come back to the surface within a couple of months and when the rains been particularly bad.

They still havent worked out exactly where the leak is, he was thinking it could just be a pin prick hole somewhere, but has assured me they will keep working on it until they have sorted it. I feel a lot happier now the gen manager is on the case and i guess it's now in their interests to sort it otherwise they'll have to provide me with a new one.

Anyway in the meantime I've got another few days (at least) with the mk 7 which I'm very much enjoying! Posted Image

well strangely enough the ka and fiat are made in the same factory and about 2 years ago we got a new punto in with a leak we tried every trick in the book to find this leak to no avail similar to you c arpets were getting wet and we could find nothing so the head mech one night put it stripped i mean carpet sound proofing headlining into the work shop we blacked the windows out with card and switched all the lights off as he walked around the outside with a very bright light and low and behold up on the roof weld i saw the light coming through in the day you couldnt see it at all no matter how hard you looked so i marked it with chalk the weld in the roof had a pin prick of a hole where the weld had stopped briefly looking at it in the day now we knew where the water was coming from we could see it was coming in the hole running to the back slightly into the plastic channel near the rear door down it and out into the rear footwell it was a new car job as fiat insisted on changing it 2nd car had the same issue in a different place we noticed that fiat started reinforcing the welds with seam sealer where they hadnty before may be the same for you a tiny hole that isnt obvious

#19 Amie07

Amie07

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

Well more progress, had a phonecall today and they think they have discovered where the problem is coming from after speaking with ford technical, apparently there are 2 holes under the back bumper, one of which wasnt sealed, so they are apparently 95% sure it's the cause. So fingers crossed that'll be the end of the leak, they're going to seal it and flood it out and see what happens.

Another thing though is the gen manager is now unsure whether carpet replacement is covered under the warranty (grrrr!) He said he will 'fight' to get it replaced under warranty (yeah right!) i asked what would happen if it wasnt and he said 'we'll discuss that if we need to' I thought to myself, well i'm not paying! I think i'll have a case to have it replaced free of charge though cos in my opinion if they'd properly investigated the problem from the outset the carpet wouldnt have been drenched on and off for so long and wouldnt have needed replacing but as it is, their incompetance in the first place is what has lead to it being left and leaking for so long and hence it'll be starting to smell stale. Guess we'll see...

did the carpet get replaced in the ka's or fiats you dealt with artscot79?

#20 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

Well more progress, had a phonecall today and they think they have discovered where the problem is coming from after speaking with ford technical, apparently there are 2 holes under the back bumper, one of which wasnt sealed, so they are apparently 95% sure it's the cause. So fingers crossed that'll be the end of the leak, they're going to seal it and flood it out and see what happens.

Another thing though is the gen manager is now unsure whether carpet replacement is covered under the warranty (grrrr!) He said he will 'fight' to get it replaced under warranty (yeah right!) i asked what would happen if it wasnt and he said 'we'll discuss that if we need to' I thought to myself, well i'm not paying! I think i'll have a case to have it replaced free of charge though cos in my opinion if they'd properly investigated the problem from the outset the carpet wouldnt have been drenched on and off for so long and wouldnt have needed replacing but as it is, their incompetance in the first place is what has lead to it being left and leaking for so long and hence it'll be starting to smell stale. Guess we'll see...

did the carpet get replaced in the ka's or fiats you dealt with artscot79?

they did and a rear seat as well simply because the holes were a manufacturing fault and therefore the damage caused to the carpets and the insulation were a direct result of the manufacturing fault and therefore ford/fiat wre liable and responsible for the replacement so in that respect they were replaced the insulation and the carpet should be replaced as they will cause rust if left damp however it is possible to have them removed and dried out then have them valet the carpets while out the car and dry them out before they refit them if the warranty will not replace them

#21 cyb

cyb

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 548 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.4tdci
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

Another thing though is the gen manager is now unsure whether carpet replacement is covered under the warranty (grrrr!)

Whatttttttttttttttt pay for new carpets … there avin’ a larf :o

Right lets start a campaign for new carpets, if they say no and you have to pay how about you post up an email address for a garage/manager and we all send him emails asking politely and I do mean politely why Amie has to pay when she reported the problem ASAP and its Fords fault the water ingress was there to start with and continued to damage the carpets because Ford could not find the problem until after 3 attepts.

Oooooooooh stuff like this makes my blood boil, :angry:

#22 Amie07

Amie07

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

Whatttttttttttttttt pay for new carpets … there avin’ a larf :o

Right lets start a campaign for new carpets, if they say no and you have to pay how about you post up an email address for a garage/manager and we all send him emails asking politely and I do mean politely why Amie has to pay when she reported the problem ASAP and its Fords fault the water ingress was there to start with and continued to damage the carpets because Ford could not find the problem until after 3 attepts.

Oooooooooh stuff like this makes my blood boil, :angry:

Ha ha! Not sure if you are being sarcastic but thanks anyway! Lol :-)

#23 Jcoventry

Jcoventry

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Ka 2008 Style Climate 1.3
Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

carpet was replaced for free under warranty when my ka had a leak

#24 cyb

cyb

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 548 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.4tdci
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ha ha! Not sure if you are being sarcastic but thanks anyway! Lol :-)

I'm being totally honest I don't see why you should have to pay anything - Ford sold you a car that wasn’t fit for purpose so why should you have to stump up the cash for new carpets?

#25 stejan1965

stejan1965

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 ghia
Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

It may sound a bit naff and old fashioned but the Citizens Advice Bureau are very good.

Hi
well i know this topic has been covered endlessly as i have posted on it previously myself but could really do with some advice.

Ok, from the beginning. First noticed that the footwell behind the passenger seat was soaking wet back in December. Took it in and it was apperently a faulty seal which they claimed to have fixed. A couple of months or so later I noticed the wet patch was back. Not happy. Rang them again, demanded a courtesy car until they sorted it. Was given some filthy excuse for a car in return. Again was told it was a faulty seal, and the door was not aligned correctly so they 'fixed' both. Also told that they needed to order a part for the door so had i my car back until they had this part. Anyway, noticed that my passenger window now had some sticky stuff all across the top edge, some kind of glue that they used to fit the seal I assume, didnt complain about this though because all i wanted was my car to not leak and gave them the benefit of the doubt. (figured it would've washed off when I cleaned it anyway)Ok, get the call to say they have the part for my door, don't exactly know what this part was just accepted my car would now be leak free and dry.

Fast forward to today, after pretty heavy rain and hail in the west mids over the last few days, thought I would do the 'touch test' on the floor behind my passenger seat, and yes as you've probably guessed, absolutely sodden, even worse than previous. I'm sure you can imagine my feelings, got right on the phone to my ford dealer, but, unsurprisngly no-one of any authority is there as it is 'good friday', told the woman the long story, explaining i am far from happy, and that this will be the third time I will be bringing the car in for exactly the same problem, apparently a manager of some description is going to call me tomorrow, i made it clear to the woman i spoke to that I want a car untill they have sorted mine, but also said I want to know what my rights are regarding getting a new car. I know it's probably too late to reject it but surely if i've had a recurring problem that they have apparently fixed on two previous occasions I have some consumer rights? The warranty is still valid until the end of June which is one good thing.

I'm going to wait to see what this manager has to say tomorrow, and have found a number on a leaflet I took from them last time for the 'consumer advice line' and will also be contacting citizens advice if need be, but was just wondering if anyone else can help, who should i be asking to speak to, any phone numbers you can give?? Do you think I have a right to reject the car at this late stage etc etc. I'm also going to mention the state they have left my window in as the glue stuff does not wash off.

Any advice much appreciated. And apologies for the length of this post, hope it makes sense!

:unsure:

#26 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

It may sound a bit naff and old fashioned but the Citizens Advice Bureau are very good.

well i thought ide check for you today and i spoke to a friend at citizens advice so her goes the car is covered under the sale of goods act ammended 1979 this states that dealers are basically like a shop if you buy something that is not fot for the purpose you have the right to return and get it repaired or replaced you only have to accept one repair attempt if the fault is still present you have the right to a replacement vehicle of similar year mileage and value...if the car was sold with a fault from the manufacturing process then the car is not fit for its purpose as a car should be dry inside and wet outside youres wasnt this caused unforseen damage to the carpets..as the damage was caused by a fault that meant the vehicle was not fit for its purpose and you have had the garage try previously to repair and locate the fault which they didnt do correctly the damage is not youre fault nor should you be asked to pay for that damage it is between the manufacturer of the vehicle and or the dealer who sold it to you to replace the carpets free of charge asyou had informed them of the fault on two previous occasions if they tell you that youll have to pay simply tell them you cantacted citizens advice and qoute the sale of goods act 1979 ammended and tell them that the fault meant the car was unsuitable for its purpose and that they have been made aware of the issue more than once and its a manufacturing fault that caused the issue you will not pay for carpets damaged because the car was not manufactured correctly you want new carpet fitted free of charge or you will contacvt the citizens advice again and they will start a case on youre behalf.

#27 Amie07

Amie07

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

well i thought ide check for you today and i spoke to a friend at citizens advice so her goes the car is covered under the sale of goods act ammended 1979 this states that dealers are basically like a shop if you buy something that is not fot for the purpose you have the right to return and get it repaired or replaced you only have to accept one repair attempt if the fault is still present you have the right to a replacement vehicle of similar year mileage and value...if the car was sold with a fault from the manufacturing process then the car is not fit for its purpose as a car should be dry inside and wet outside youres wasnt this caused unforseen damage to the carpets..as the damage was caused by a fault that meant the vehicle was not fit for its purpose and you have had the garage try previously to repair and locate the fault which they didnt do correctly the damage is not youre fault nor should you be asked to pay for that damage it is between the manufacturer of the vehicle and or the dealer who sold it to you to replace the carpets free of charge asyou had informed them of the fault on two previous occasions if they tell you that youll have to pay simply tell them you cantacted citizens advice and qoute the sale of goods act 1979 ammended and tell them that the fault meant the car was unsuitable for its purpose and that they have been made aware of the issue more than once and its a manufacturing fault that caused the issue you will not pay for carpets damaged because the car was not manufactured correctly you want new carpet fitted free of charge or you will contacvt the citizens advice again and they will start a case on youre behalf.

Wow! Thanks for that artscot! You're a star! :)

I did tentatively look into contacting citizens advice but when the manager took over the repair I was a bit more confident with the situation so thought I wouldnt need it, but now after what he said to me on fri about the carpets I'm thinking I may need them afterall so will definately put that to him if he does say I have 2 fork out my cash.

He's supposed to be calling me again tomorrow with another progress report so I'll see what he says then.

Thanks everyone for your advice :D

#28 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image

Wow! Thanks for that artscot! You're a star! Posted Image

I did tentatively look into contacting citizens advice but when the manager took over the repair I was a bit more confident with the situation so thought I wouldnt need it, but now after what he said to me on fri about the carpets I'm thinking I may need them afterall so will definately put that to him if he does say I have 2 fork out my cash.

He's supposed to be calling me again tomorrow with another progress report so I'll see what he says then.

Thanks everyone for your advice Posted Image

no worries you never know it might be fixed and ready for you
Posted Image

#29 Ritchy

Ritchy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: not a ford anymore

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

hey im new here lol, basically water leaks are nighmares so im afraid you just have to be patient with the garage, i work with the guy who does all the focus CC waterleaks in scotland for ford, and he had a wee new style ford KA and he thought he had sorted it loads of times and it came back in a couple of times afterwards, if i remeber right there was a pinhole in one of the spotwelds under the roof strips, like an impossible small hole that was causing it, so please dont be angry at the garage, be angry at the people who made it

#30 Jcoventry

Jcoventry

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Ka 2008 Style Climate 1.3
Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

It is concerning that the problem lies at the factory in regards to the quality of the welding (or rather, lack of it). Seeing as the spot welds are done robotically, how could Ford possibly get this wrong? This is going to cost Ford a lot in warranty repair work.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users