Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,989 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

Definately agree, I never really gave any thought to WD40 on a PCB, the idea in itself (spraying a lubricant onto a circuit board) in itself sounds a "mad" idea, but if it works, and doesnt short out, then its a very good fix.

Lesson learned today : fluids and PCB's can work together :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Wightman

Wightman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

Definately agree, I never really gave any thought to WD40 on a PCB, the idea in itself (spraying a lubricant onto a circuit board) in itself sounds a "mad" idea, but if it works, and doesnt short out, then its a very good fix.

Lesson learned today : fluids and PCB's can work together :)

I would advise caution here. Although WD40 is sometimes used for lubrication, it is not strictly a lubricant. In fact in some cases e.g. on chains and bearings, it is likely to flush any lubricant out and therefore should not be used.
In the case of the pcb, I think that it's main function is as a cleaning and water repelant agent. It probably then forms a sealing film to keep further moisture out.

In any case, 3 weeks later the fix is still working so I am hoping that it is permanent.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users