Photo

Why Can't You Fit Towbars To Econetic Focus?

Econetic Towbar Focus

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

As it has been pointed out in other posts, having your insurance declared void has serious consequences well beyond the insurance company not paying out.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Tanktop3

Tanktop3

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi all i've got a Focus 1.6tdi Econettic td 109 5 door hatchback mk 2.5 on 58 plate on the log book it says that i can tow 1300 (kg) braked and 675(kg) unbraked. hope this helps

#18 Wayne Brian Pearsall

Wayne Brian Pearsall

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: Wayne`
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium
  • Year: 2010

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

quick question (kind on the topic) by "braked" does this mean brakes need to activate on the van/trailer when braking in the car, or simply mean it needs a handbrake fitted, which will apply with a breakaway cable in an unforetunate circumstance....

#19 Tanktop3

Tanktop3

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Braked means that brakes have to be on the trailer to tow 1300 (kg) and if the trailer has no brakes on you can only tow 675(kg)

#20 Wayne Brian Pearsall

Wayne Brian Pearsall

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

quick question (kind on the topic) by "braked" does this mean brakes need to activate on the van/trailer when braking in the car, or simply mean it needs a handbrake fitted, which will apply with a breakaway cable in an unforetunate circumstance....

Braked means that brakes have to be on the trailer to tow 1300 (kg) and if the trailer has no brakes on you can only tow 675(kg)

i realise that..... i tow a van that is a little 2berth 500kg... (the plate states "750kg" -so i would assume it is classed as braked?) - nothing electronically can activate the brakes on the trailr hubs... only the handbrake on the van itself...

#21 ToolBox

ToolBox

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Name: BRIAN
  • Ford Model: KUGA ZETEC 2.0 TDCI

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

In this case braked means the towed trailer regardless of what form this takes must have overrun brakes, what happens is when you apply the car brakes the inertia of the towed trailer pushes on the coupling head compressing a spring or damper and applies the trailer brakes via cables or rod and cables.
Above 750kg this is a legal requirment. when towing over 3500kg the brakes must be fully hydraulic operated from the towing vehicle, then above another weight the brakes must be operated by air
Regards
Brian

#22 Tanktop3

Tanktop3

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

sorry should of put what above

#23 Wayne Brian Pearsall

Wayne Brian Pearsall

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

In this case braked means the towed trailer regardless of what form this takes must have overrun brakes, what happens is when you apply the car brakes the inertia of the towed trailer pushes on the coupling head compressing a spring or damper and applies the trailer brakes via cables or rod and cables.
Above 750kg this is a legal requirment. when towing over 3500kg the brakes must be fully hydraulic operated from the towing vehicle, then above another weight the brakes must be operated by air
Regards
Brian

ahh thats great. i guess thats how it avoids pushing the back end out and jackknifing when going around bends etc...

my van is unbraked in that case then, 750kg refers to the max chassis allowance (MAM ?) etc.. meaning i have a 250ish payload limit, - which was reduced to about 180kg payload by cars "limitations" (cant remember cars max unbraked offhand) - luckily all i ever took was the clothes, bedding and sometimes bikes, (round about 70-80 kg) so wasnt a worry... (im limited on what van i can tow since i havent took B+E test yet... but ATM there is no reason to waste the money on the test - i prefered to spend it on some real "training" / "lessons")

#24 Bob777

Bob777

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Robert
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Econetic
  • Year: 2008

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi

You might like to look at this, if you type in (caravan club/econetic) or click on this link http://www.caravancl...November 08.pdf

you will get up "Fuel For Thought" its a good read

Regards Bob

#25 Bob777

Bob777

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Robert
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Econetic
  • Year: 2008

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi

I have just tried the link and it does work.

Regards Bob

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Econetic, Towbar, Focus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users