k13r4n

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 708 posts
  • Name: kieran
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Metal
  • Year: 2011

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

where do you run the cable to put the second bulb in the boot? (im a cyclist and an constantly putting the seats down and stuff, i assume itd be ran below the boot?)

..im sure this is close enough to topic to not class as a hijack!

cheers

I would link it but if you have a look for lenny he had a super guide for a second boot light and I think he removes the black trim around the catch for the boot and feeds it under here also Charlie will be able to advise as he had done this mod too

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Ford Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCi
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

All you need is a bulb holder n a length of wire.

Is a bulb holder really needed? Could ye not just tap directly into the wires coming from the panel to the adapter plug if using these LED panels?

where do you run the cable to put the second bulb in the boot?

Here's a link for the guide that someone mentioned above mate...

http://www.fordowner...083#entry146083

#18 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,401 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
Contributor

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Is a bulb holder really needed? Could ye not just tap directly into the wires coming from the panel to the adapter plug if using these LED panels?

You could do yeah. Would just make it a more permanent feature and a little more hassle should you wanna change it.

With the bulb holder you just unplug it as a normal wedge bulb whenever you want should you wanna change to a different colour etc

#19 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI Focus Sport
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

thanks for the link! ..looks complicated though! think il go for a single 42 LED bulb

#20 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

It shouldn't really be mate. Lenny is a pretty thorough guy as reflected by his guides, but essentially, especially if using the led panels recommended by Brigante (I ordered 3 today), then there's no cutting required, so you just tap into the existing light wiring, run the wire across the boot and up to the other side, connect to a second panel light, and hey presto!

Don't be intimidated mate, the guys on here are happy to answer any questions you may have and you'll get a great sense of satisfaction when complete! Give it a bash, what's the worst can happen?!

#21 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,401 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

It is extremely easy to do. Took me about 5minutes. Remove a couple trim peices, they just pull out. Tap a wire into the existing bootlight, run it around the spare wheel well and up the other side. Cut a hole the same size as the existing boots light hole and pull the wire through. Either wire it to a bulb holder or straight to the LED pad. Refit the trim peices and your all done. Look at my previous posts for photos of what you'll achieve with very little work.

#22 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

So did you go ahead and cut the hole to size and that mate and then just place your pad over the top of it? I hadn't really thought about a hole for the wiring, but was thinking could maybe just drill one small hole that would be covered by the pad anyway? Would save the cutting part if that's what's putting Aldoo off.

I don't have a dremel (yet!) but pretty sure I have a template for the hole made up already as I fitted these as OEM style rear footwells on either side of the centre console in my Mondeo. Got a pair of them from a couple of old fiesta boot lights in a local scrappies for £2 with bulb holders and wire, so might go back to see if he's any left.

http://talkford.com/..._527_145069.jpg

#23 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI Focus Sport
  • Year: 2006

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yeah, its the drilling putting me off. but ill give it a go (Im so weak with pear pressure! haha)

I should really have more confidence with this considering im an electrical engineer!

Thanks guys!

#24 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,917 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

All you have to remember is that anywhere you're likely to drill for extra boot lights is on the underside of the boot trim and anyway there's always blanking grommets. :D

#25 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

That's the spirit mate! Look forward to your results!

#26 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hey gforce noticed your signature says you have bi-xenon headlights and wanted to ask if they are auto leveling and do you have washers as well

#27 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,401 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

So did you go ahead and cut the hole to size and that mate and then just place your pad over the top of it? I hadn't really thought about a hole for the wiring, but was thinking could maybe just drill one small hole that would be covered by the pad anyway? Would save the cutting part if that's what's putting Aldoo off.

I don't have a dremel (yet!) but pretty sure I have a template for the hole made up already as I fitted these as OEM style rear footwells on either side of the centre console in my Mondeo. Got a pair of them from a couple of old fiesta boot lights in a local scrappies for £2 with bulb holders and wire, so might go back to see if he's any left.

http://talkford.com/..._527_145069.jpg

Yes mate I cut a hole the same size as the existing boot light hole, simply because if I ever wish to revert back to the standard boot light with the lens cover, I could buy an extra a cover for the second boot light too so it would look OEM

But yes as you say, you could simply drill a small hole for the wire.

Must say though, you don't need a drill or a dremel. I simply cut my hole with a stanley blade. Really easy.

#28 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

That's good to know then. Was just thinking about a dremel as I've a few little jobs to do at the min that it would come in handy for. Does everyone swear by Dremel by the way? Have heard other makes are a waste of time/money, but didn't think these minor tasks would be too much of a problem. Seen a decent looking Draper with a load of accessories on Amazon for £20 delivered.

Lining up parts at the minute so I think next weekend I'll set aside a few hours on Sunday to spend a bit of time on the car and do...

twin reverse light mod (was thinking of dremel for this mainly to cut the bulb holder off a spare unit and cut the hole in my LHD unit), twin boot light, rear 12V socket, and maybe my RS spoiler, even just for a trial run!

Kieran, as for my bi-xenons...I don't have washer jets, and to be honest, I'm sunsure about levelling sensors! I had adaptive projectors as standard, and picked up a set of black xenons. Plugged them in and they work spot on. When I first turn on the headlights the beams move up and down, and when I turn the steering wheel, they move up and down also when cornering, whereas the adaptive halogens moved from side to side.

I didn't fancy any hassle at MOT so just swapped them back, but much prefer the light off the xenons so have got them back in straight away. I think as they're genuine units and emit a crisp white rather than blue, they'll not attract any unwanted attention, and I mustn't be blinding oncomers as nobody flashes me. I regularly give the lenses a wipe before heading off in the dark, so the way I see it (no pun intended!), I have better, brighter, (safer,) lights that aren't doing anyone else any harm.

Of course the other reason I have them in without the proper washer set-up etc is cos I'm bad-!Removed!.

#29 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Ha yes just don't let Clive catch you

#30 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Haha, I know mate! Think I might be out of his jurisdiction so should be safe enough!

EDIT: What are the odds of me getting pulled tomorrow after posting that?!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boot light, footwells

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users