• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2006

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Update:

Got the "new" injectors http://imgur.com/a/KlKiG

Now i just need to wedge some spare time to change them... Any pro-tips? anything special i should know, or is it just pretty straight forward, unbolt old ones, clean, clean, clean your seats, gently whit some rag. reclean, add new seals and install new injectors. Fix to 5Nm + 45deg. Change the fuel filter, fill it whit diesel cleaner and just crank it up untill it fires?

Oh yeah, whats the easyest way to depreasurize the injection system? Or does it depreasurize it automaticly after you shut it down?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hey, can anyone tell me for sure, can i use F-Super USB adapter, and Formidable to code the new injectors for the 1.6 TDCi Focus? All info that i can find is for mondeo, but nothing for focus... :/

#18 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,192 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Oh yeah, whats the easyest way to depreasurize the injection system? Or does it depreasurize it automaticly after you shut it down?

All i can say is be very careful when working on a common rail, the pressures are ridiculously high.

i would be tempted to get the car in position for where you are working on it and leave it over night and start in the morning

#19 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well, got the injectors changed. used my BT-OBD to monitor the Commonrail preasure after shutdown, and it went nearly imediatly to ~4bars, so i just released the rest of it from the injector pipes.

The injectors came out nicely when you losened the fixing bolts, and gave it a nice litle spin from the starter.

There was also nice suprise, injector holes 1 and 3 were full of "sealant glue"... *golf clap*

but anyhow, changed the injectors, and the problem stayd the same. Still knocking after 3k rpm... Tho, now it starts up way better, and pulls way better. Also, i think the commonrail preasures have gone up from ~600bar to over 1000bar...

Can anyone tell me for sure, does these injectors require coding?!

So far ive heard:

-All TDCi injectors after -03 need to be coded. Otherwise the car gives out engine error light, goes to limp and wount rev over 3k

-No need to code, just PCM reset

-No need for coding or reset, ecu will learn the new injectors by its own.

Well, gues what... i only changed the injectors, and nope, i got no limp, no engine light, everything works nicely apart the knock... what got me thinking, if these indeed require coding, and someone has previously done somehting to the injectors whitout coding, could that be the issue. Also, could it be that it requires coding, but doesent show it anyway?

And last, tryed to eyeball the injectors, and i could not find any "code" from them that would mach the sayd 8 digit description... :/

Like here you can see the 8 digid code: http://www.tdocuk.co...=2634&mode=view

But mine, new and the old ones has 9 digid code instead... ?

#20 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,192 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I think if they require to be coded then it would run like a bag of spanners right now?

good job though mate :)

#21 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I think if they require to be coded then it would run like a bag of spanners right now?

good job though mate :)

well, it does quite run like a bag of spanners, but only after 3k ;)

#22 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Took some videos, first one idling hood up, second one is from the inside (earphones recomended), you can clearly hear the knock after 3000rpm

Any ideas ?

#23 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

CASE CLOSED!

Tooked the valve cover off today, and founded out that 2 cam followers had slipped away from the cam / valve and were klocking around. So, atleast 2 busted followers, totaled cam shaft and possibly few bended valves... Il guess ill just try to find whole cylinder head as used part.

"Funny story" the guy from who i bough my injectors, had exacly same on his parrents HDi... Were knocking (tho, that one knocked all the time), and when he took the valve cover off, 2 followers had slipped away, and few bended valves.

He took the head to machinery for valve change, and when he got it back, he noticed that _all_ of the followers had loose bearings... New ones are 40€ each, so he just bought whole engine from parted car...

#24 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,192 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ouch! That's really not good! Can you post up any pics of the damage?

#25 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

http://imgur.com/a/NBDZx

few pics taken from the inspection cover. The follower on the second picture is bit hard to spot, but you can see it lying horizontaly right behind the firs nose of the cam...

hmm... From ford, followers 40€ each, so that would be 640€ euros only for the followers, + cams + valve work... Replacement engines: 1800€ euros, still some polls out for few heads, but im starting to feel that this knock just got realy expensive... :(

But for the bright side, im quite suprised how nicely it drives whit only 14 valves ;)

#26 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,192 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

http://imgur.com/a/NBDZx

few pics taken from the inspection cover. The follower on the second picture is bit hard to spot, but you can see it lying horizontaly right behind the firs nose of the cam...

hmm... From ford, followers 40€ each, so that would be 640€ euros only for the followers, + cams + valve work... Replacement engines: 1800€ euros, still some polls out for few heads, but im starting to feel that this knock just got realy expensive... :(

But for the bright side, im quite suprised how nicely it drives whit only 14 valves ;)

thats mad!

is a second hand head an option?

#27 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

thats mad!

is a second hand head an option?

Yeah, after i heard the cost for the can followers, i decided that i go for second hand parts... The replacement engine was also secondhand, and was driven 180k km, and the guy selling the second hand head (90k km on it) havent awnsered yet,,, ;(

There is few reasonable priced heads on ebay, but they are not realy jumping for happines about mailing parts to finland...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users