• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Name: greg
  • Ford Model: smax titainium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

thanks for the input guys.

someone else mentioned the stilsons. really not trying to sound negative but i only just got my set of molegrips on it as the position of the drain bolt appears slightly recessed against the pan and theres no room to really get anything around it. these things are sent to try us, huh ;)

gregors, thats the one i was looking at (really dont want to spend a billion on it). did the tube fit down your dipstick.. if that doesnt sound too gross :)

oooer missus,

well on the galaxy tdi twas mainly a vw engine so if its the same size as yours then its a yes,lol.

but i dont think it will be too difficult to get hold of the correct size tube.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 The Bear

The Bear

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 '+'
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

oooer missus,

well on the galaxy tdi twas mainly a vw engine so if its the same size as yours then its a yes,lol.

but i dont think it will be too difficult to get hold of the correct size tube.

lol ;)

ok cheers mate. and thanks everyone for all the advice,

ill try the stilsons first. im sure theyll have them at college. if not ill be buying that from amazon ;)

do you know roughly what the diameter of the dipstick tube is on your galaxy? cheers

#18 gregers

gregers

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

no m8 soz,but if its either to big/small im sure you can get the right tube from someone like a wine making/brewing shop.

#19 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,519 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Weld a nut or bolt onto it? Usually what I do for annoying bits and bolts. No pun intended.

#20 astings

astings

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 petrol zetec
  • Year: 2007

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

I've always used these to remove rounded nuts

http://www.metrinch-tools.com/

#21 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,279 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

It will be a case of either welding a nut to it or remove the sump and once it's cleared of oil try loosening it from inside using heat and a good wrench.

#22 Gary3059

Gary3059

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 Ghia
  • Year: 2001

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

another vote for welding a nut on :)

#23 The Bear

The Bear

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

sadly lads i cant weld :( lol

i've ordered the vacuum and ill let you know how i get on. could film it/take pics and make guides if anyones interested? ive made a few ''how to'' videos of various things motorvehicle. would it help anyone on this forum?

on an aside, i've recently been learning to tap threads at college as part of my bench fitting skills. if i made a hole and put a thread in for say an M12, got an M12 bolt and fitted a washer would that work?

#24 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,116 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yes a guide would be brilliant if you don't mind, it's probably worth a star too.

What vacuum did you go for? I meant to measure the 2 tube sizes of the one I have today but I forgot.

I would say no to drilling/tapping as you risk getting filings in the sump

#25 The Bear

The Bear

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Yes a guide would be brilliant if you don't mind, it's probably worth a star too.

What vacuum did you go for? I meant to measure the 2 tube sizes of the one I have today but I forgot.

I would say no to drilling/tapping as you risk getting filings in the sump

a star? lol

no probs mate. what about stuff like oil changes, spark plug changes, brake fluid changes etc etc? i'm planning on doing a full service when i get some dosh so would all this stuff be useful?

sorry stef, should have said that if i did it i'd take the sump off and get rid of the debris.... just wondering if it would actually work from a ''oil tight seal'' point of view ;)

#26 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,116 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

a star? lol

no probs mate. what about stuff like oil changes, spark plug changes, brake fluid changes etc etc? i'm planning on doing a full service when i get some dosh so would all this stuff be useful?

sorry stef, should have said that if i did it i'd take the sump off and get rid of the debris.... just wondering if it would actually work from a ''oil tight seal'' point of view ;)

Yup, see under my name on the left I have 'contributor stars'

Yes it would be very useful Steve, especially for those who might not be so confident about working on their car.

If you are removing the sump then I can't see it being a problem. I would use a copper washer though.
You might find with the sump off you can get enough heat on it to remove the sump plug.

#27 The Bear

The Bear

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Yup, see under my name on the left I have 'contributor stars'

Yes it would be very useful Steve, especially for those who might not be so confident about working on their car.

If you are removing the sump then I can't see it being a problem. I would use a copper washer though.
You might find with the sump off you can get enough heat on it to remove the sump plug.

Ok mate i'll see what I can do to get some guides together. As said I've done a few for my previous forums so know the drill lol ;)

yeah i thought the same TBH. as long as theres enough material depth wise to create a thread it may be worth doing :) and yeah, having it off the car would defo make a difference with trying to get it off.... at the very least you can see what youre doing :D

to get the sump off, would it a.) need a new gasket and b.) is it just a series of bolts to bring it down? on my old car to get the sump off you had to do more than that. cant remember what but i'm thinking something like it was attached to the oil cooler and that had to come off before you could do it. not sure thats exactly what it was but you get the picture lol :)

#28 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,116 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Ok mate i'll see what I can do to get some guides together. As said I've done a few for my previous forums so know the drill lol ;)

yeah i thought the same TBH. as long as theres enough material depth wise to create a thread it may be worth doing :) and yeah, having it off the car would defo make a difference with trying to get it off.... at the very least you can see what youre doing :D

to get the sump off, would it a.) need a new gasket and b.) is it just a series of bolts to bring it down? on my old car to get the sump off you had to do more than that. cant remember what but i'm thinking something like it was attached to the oil cooler and that had to come off before you could do it. not sure thats exactly what it was but you get the picture lol :)

Not sure what's involved with your car but you might find its a sealant rather than a rubber gasket.

#29 The Bear

The Bear

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Evening guys,

Right FIIIIIIIIIINALLY got the sump bolt out. In the end it took a bolster and HUGE hammer to shift it!!! Here's a pic of it...

Seriously, look at the state of it. Yes I've made a couple of marks on the outer ring with the bolster but FFS why torque it to 10,000NM in the first place????

The reason I reverted back to trying the bolt was cos I bought the vacuum device. All was well until after 3 pumps the pump handle broke...sadly theres not an ''exasperated'' smiley :rolleyes:

Anyhow as promised I managed to get some pics of the oil change.... I'll put it in a mini guide over the next couple of days :)

Cheers for all ya help folks ;)

#30 gregers

gregers

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

not a plumber are you,lol.

tad heavy handed there me thinks.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users