Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2.5 Focus 1.8Tdci - Hesitant Under Heavy Acceleration

021C

Morning guys,

A couple of months back I made a trip down to Lincoln with my other half (from Carlisle). This was the first long trip of the year for the Focus. Typically I do 50 - 60 miles a day and average 1000 miles a month.

During the trip down my other half was driving and I told her to give it some 'welly' when overtaking a lorry on the A1(M). While doing so she said 'The cars shaking.... :( ' I replied with 'don't be silly' as I couldn't feel, see of hear anything.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago I started to notice that when I attempted to accelerate hard in 3rd / 4th the engine started to feel lumpy and drop off around 3 - 3.5k revs. The shaking she was referring to was feedback through the accelerator pedal / low levels of hesitation.

This morning I gave the car a good thrashing on the way to work (rural A road) and could still feel the problem.

In 1st, 2nd (with normal turbo boosting at 2k revs) and any other gear at normal driving speeds (with normal acceleration) the cars is fine and I've not received any engine malfunction lights. I've not had chance to read any codes yet, but I'm thinking it could be the fuel filter?

I purchased the car February 2012 and was told at the time the car had been serviced (national dealer) when I checked the air filter a few weeks later it was filthy. Considering this is a 2008 car it looked like the original filter (which didn't fill me with confidence). I purchased the car with lower than average miles for the age and it appeared to have missed a service.

I had a service (oil and filter change) last October, which was done by a prestigious car dealer as a mates wife is service manager. To be fair I only asked for an oil change and the experience was great (they treated my car like a top end motor rather than a lowly Ford) but thinking back I'm now convinced the fuel filter is overdue renewal as I've never done it.

Do this sound right to any of you? I'm thinking a filter change and for good measure I'll chuck in a tin of BG244.

Any advice gratefully received.

Stu

You're right, but I'm now in Edinburgh for a few days and couldn't have the car off the road.

When I get back and can work out a car swap with my misses on her day off I'll leave it at the garage and get them to check.

Stu

Thanks Clive.

I was fairly convinced but with lack of the right tools (pump) and most importantly free time, I wanted to rule out any other possibility (although it may well be something else)

On the drive up to Edinburgh last night I didn't experience the same problems. But to be fair, I drive a little differently on my own / without a load ;).

My uncle is an ex Ford tech and now works in hydraulics. I'll see if he will hold my hand while I do the swap.

Thanks

Stu

May be worth getting any codes read.

Fuel problems should produce a code.

If you have to change the filter be prepared for a faff getting the system bled and primed.

Had my engine decarbonised on Thursday and it tool two mechanics over 20 minutes with a priming bulb.