• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 theworld

theworld

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

I had a new power steering hose fitted at 38k. The original split whilst driving and left me with no power steering? It cost me about 100 for a new one fitted including power steering fluid. At a none ford garage. :angry:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jase1974

jase1974

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: focus climate zetec

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

I had a new power steering hose fitted at 38k. The original split whilst driving and left me with no power steering? It cost me about 100 for a new one fitted including power steering fluid. At a none ford garage. :angry:

#18 grania

grania

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec climate 3dr

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

Also had similar problem with 55 reg focus zetec climate with 44k. Bought car in last year and within 1 month power steering went. dealer replaced pipe and put new belt on and went again in June. Again new belt on as they said that rollers etc were fine and for the 3rd time belt has gone. Very very unhappy. This time saying needs new power steering pump and cost should lie with me but trying to challenge as existing problem when bought car and the first time belt went was still within warranty. Very interesting to read that others having similar issue with car. Question now is did the new pump solve your problems or is it better to get rid of car and start again with something else? Shame as really like the car but is this going to turn into a money pit? Input gratefully received!

#19 Carrera74

Carrera74

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 05

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

Our garage advised us to get rid before it went again - they think we'd get another 12 - 18 months and it would likely go again. They think that there is a batch of cars that have a fault or else Ford wouldn't be stocking up on such an expensive item.

#20 paramaniac

paramaniac

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 Focus Zetec S 1.8 Petrol

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

I also have a 55 plate 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate. My power steering pump went a couple of weeks ago, the car's on 53,000 miles. Mine has an electric one which isn't belt driven like some of the others. Ford quoted me £600 to replace it but I bought a 2nd-hand pump from a 2007 focus at a breaker's yard and got a mate to fit it which only cost £170 all-in.

#21 Randy

Randy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus mk1 and 3

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

My Girlfriends 55 Reg (less than 20k miles) Focus just lost power steering on her way home, luckily within a couple of miles from home.
Looking like its either the pump or the pipe from the pump thats faulty.
My job to investigate and repair later,
Can anyone advise if its likely to be the pipe of the pump, all worked ok until it dumped all its power steering fluid today!!!
Randy

#22 topoff

topoff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

My power steer pump is leaking fluid. I got an ex Ford machanic to take a look he told me it is a know fault. The car is an 05 Focus 1.6 Ghia and we have had it since new. It's has done less than 36,000.

#23 mick swift

mick swift

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: michael
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

just registered today as an hardcore ford lover...just been to garage to book in a repair for the power steering pump, and im glad i was sat down at the time, when he hit me with the price..ive come home to find some things out about this, and the posts are the same issues as mine..
2005 ford focus sport climate 1600cc withn 39k on the clock,,,seems a bit of a coinsidence that most of these are the same car , year, and even mileage ????
this will take 2. 5 hours to repair with a cost of 180 just for the pump......
so im expecting somewhere around 300,, never mind, my repair bills in the last 8 years on my past fords is only this 1......

#24 paramaniac

paramaniac

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 Focus Zetec S 1.8 Petrol

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

http://www.fordprobl...sbs/Focus/2006/

#25 unstoppableguy

unstoppableguy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2006 1.6
  • Year: 2006

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hi,

I had my car checked out and I now have to buy a new Power Steering Pump for my 2006 Ford Focus. :angry: I have only done 25k and reading this triggered me to join and respond on here. Been looking on ebay for a second hand option, as buying new is extortionate! Should the Power Steering Pump be leaking at under 25k? My car is currently unusable as it is making a noise and now the steering wheel gets impossible to move when trying to make turns or park, it is completely stiff! Sigh :(

#26 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

73k on original pump

#27 unstoppableguy

unstoppableguy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2006 1.6

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

73k your joking? Wow. What should I do complain to Ford where I bought it from? Will they even care...
I swear they put back the mileage clock now...

#28 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

afraid not 73k mate i was told by the ford mechanic it is very common and a well known issue the pipe goes at the bend to the pump and to keep an eye on it weekly at the first sign of steering fluid on it take it straight in and its just a pipe job if it goes then it tends to take the pump with it as its been leaking a while before it goes which results in starving the pump it seems some fail earlier than others so it may be a bad batch of pipes call ford uk and see what they say you may get money off and mention the forum and how common it is

#29 squiggly5297

squiggly5297

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.6 TiCVT Duratec

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi all My 06 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium has developed a noise sounding like a air horn...only does this when accelerating either moving or parked and when the car is slightly warmed up.  I took it to a local garage and at first they thought it was the alternator, they replaced it but the noise was still there so they took it off to save me paying for it. Now they suspect the power steering pump.  There is fluid In the pump and steering appears to be fine,  The garage has quoted £400 to replace but has anyone else experienced anything similar? also if there is just a leak on the hose is it possible that this is what the noise is?

#30 Carrera74

Carrera74

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 05

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

I'm back and we didn't get rid of the car after 12/18 months.  Guess what's leaking again!! I am surprised it lasted as long as it has to be honest.  I've owned the car six years and this will be the third time the steering pump has gone - hoping it's just the pipe but experience tells me otherwise :(

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users