Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus power steering pump and pipe

hodges9566

73k your joking? Wow. What should I do complain to Ford where I bought it from? Will they even care...

I swear they put back the mileage clock now...

afraid not 73k mate i was told by the ford mechanic it is very common and a well known issue the pipe goes at the bend to the pump and to keep an eye on it weekly at the first sign of steering fluid on it take it straight in and its just a pipe job if it goes then it tends to take the pump with it as its been leaking a while before it goes which results in starving the pump it seems some fail earlier than others so it may be a bad batch of pipes call ford uk and see what they say you may get money off and mention the forum and how common it is

• 1 year later...

Hi all My 06 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium has developed a noise sounding like a air horn...only does this when accelerating either moving or parked and when the car is slightly warmed up. I took it to a local garage and at first they thought it was the alternator, they replaced it but the noise was still there so they took it off to save me paying for it. Now they suspect the power steering pump. There is fluid In the pump and steering appears to be fine, The garage has quoted £400 to replace but has anyone else experienced anything similar? also if there is just a leak on the hose is it possible that this is what the noise is?

• 1 month later...

I'm back and we didn't get rid of the car after 12/18 months. Guess what's leaking again!! I am surprised it lasted as long as it has to be honest. I've owned the car six years and this will be the third time the steering pump has gone - hoping it's just the pipe but experience tells me otherwise :(

• 1 year later...

Hi, first post and Im dragging up am old thread. Not a good start.

I've been reading about the PS pump / hose and would like to investigate myself. Did anyone take any pictures of what I should be looking for re the hose etc.I'm not exactly a mechanic when it comes to cars but I'm willing to have a go. We only bought the 2009 focus 1.6 petrol a few days ago but we needed a car urgently. I didn't feel the power steering go on the test drive but it's done it twice since. No warning lights on the dash, no funny noises, it just seems to go when at low speed and low revs. Then comes back. Makes it unnerving for my wife to drive. Any advice greatly appreciated. Oh it's got 71k on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the last post. My sisters Focus has started to get very heavy on the steering and also juddering.

my question is, where the hell is the pump haha! how do i check the fluid level?

thanks in advance for anyone that can help me.

its a 2007 1.8 zetec model, 88k miles

• 1 month later...

Like the last post. My sisters Focus has started to get very heavy on the steering and also juddering.

my question is, where the hell is the pump haha! how do i check the fluid level?

thanks in advance for anyone that can help me.

its a 2007 1.8 zetec model, 88k miles

Got the same on my 1.6 2006 ti vct. The steering judders for a minute or so, I also have a dry bearing noise. All this seem to come after fitting a new aux belt, coincidence or the new belt has put extra pressure on the pulley.

The reservoir has two pipes, one thicker than the other, is the thinner one the return as I have noticed mine is kinked with no fix as it joins to a metal pipe under the reservoir.

Had to replace the power steering pipe on my 2005 mk2 focus common problem with them new pipe cost about 80quid the pump was ok ...

• 2 years later...

Our Focus suddenly developed a squeal so we called out the AA and they found the power steering hose leaking, he filled the pump up and said it was ok to drive home so I'm guessing we can get away with just the hose. Is there a DIY on how to replace the hose? 

TIA

Rather surprised at the lack of response to what sounds like quite a common issue [emoji53]

I’ve found a couple of limited DIYs on YouTube so realise the pump needs to come off to get to the bottom hose connection but does anyone have a view on buying the OEM hose compared to a pattern one from ECP or similar? The Ford one doesn’t seem to last!

Any advice/suggestions would really be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk