Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie asking for advice re AUX input

Charlotte2018

Hey I’m a newbie to the site.

i have had my Fiesta Zetec Climate for 3 years and have never encountered any problems with it.

however, the aux input has never worked.

it has the aux input socket where the handbrake is next to the lighter socket, when I plug my lead into it you can hear a faint buzzing as if to suggest it’s connected, but when I try to play from a device the sound comes from the device and not theough the cars Speakers.

i would presume the wiring is fitted for the static noise to be heard through the cars Speakers, Iv tried turning the volume up to max on the device but still nothing.

Am I missing something? Iv looked at the fuses and I can’t see a specific fuse for the socket, but there are however 2 “Audio” fuses- is it likely one of these has anything to do with the AUX socket?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 😊

If the sound is still coming from your device the device does not recognize the connector, which is either an issue with your device or the lead. Do headphones work when connected to that device (which would point to a lead issue. If everything (incl. this lead) work connected to something else, something is wrong with the wiring between socket and radio (a short somewhere I'd say).

38 minutes ago, tomtom70 said:

If the sound is still coming from your device the device does not recognize the connector, which is either an issue with your device or the lead. Do headphones work when connected to that device (which would point to a lead issue. If everything (incl. this lead) work connected to something else, something is wrong with the wiring between socket and radio (a short somewhere I'd say).

Thank you for your speedy response!

Yes sound still comes from the device when plugged into the AUX port.

headphones work perfectly with the device (iPhone X) but I had the exact same issue with different devices (iPhone 6 and MP3 player) so I wouldn’t have thought it would be device issues.

Do you think it’s best I take it somewhere for someone to have a look? Whilst I am a very hands on person and more than happy to investigate the wiring myself; I’m not sure if I have the tools needed if I need to pull anything out 

Have you tried swapping the lead? If you connect your current lead when it's not connected to the vehicle, does the sound change (no output on the device)?

If you can get to the socket yourself (I don't know how it is installed in your year of Fiesta, from the front with clips that can be released, or on a panel that can be removed to get to the socket from behind) you can check if the connector from vehicle wiring to socket is properly engaged. Anything else I'd take to a shop.

The part of the socket that has the contact points has a tendency to move away from the face plate therefore the plug in cable doesn't align properly anymore.
Either get behind the trim and glue the socket parts tight together or replace the socket completely.
This one is listed as for a Focus but is identical other than the colour of the faceplate-
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232636301029

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club