Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof Bars

Dickie Old Chum

Morning,

about to pull the trigger on a 67 plate Titanium Lux and I wondered if anyone had any tips on roof bars  with the Panoramic roof. I assume fitting roof bars isn’t a problem, only when I had a quick look at the car yday I couldn’t see how they would attach (there were no holes in the door frame like on my Mondeo).

will it have “Fixpoint” as in the description below? Many thanks in advance.

The thule 753 Foot Pack is designed for use on vehicles that have either roof mounted 'Fixpoint' fixing points, or flush mounted roof rails.

There is a specific set of roof  bars for cars with the panoramic roof. Cant help with the rest of your question though.

thule don’t offer them for Edges with pan roof or they didn’t do when I enquired a few years ago  

I ended up getting a set a Yakima aero bars from America. 

They fix as in the video below, no fix points  

Nightmare with pan roof. Your only option, and it really is your only option, are the Yakima bars as mentioned above or the Cruz bars. The Yakima bars are sold under the trade name Whispbars and the only UK distributor is www.roofbox.co.uk who also sell the Cruz bars.

The fitting for both is ugly, a bracket that goes under the doors. I've got mine (The Yakima Whispbars) in the garage but have yet to fit them. The Cruz bara looked cheap and nasty to me. Depending on which bars you want it's going to cost you at least £180 For Whispbars.

Are there no rubber inserts in the brackets that go into the door frame area ?  I would have thought they would scratch the edge of the roof. I’ve got roof bars so this won’t affect me, but just curious. 

• Like 1

Yes they have a rubber coating to add protection where they meet the bodywork. 

Thanks for the advice everyone- have gone for the Whispbars. Edge arrived yesterday- love it!

4 hours ago, Dickie Old Chum said:

Thanks for the advice everyone- have gone for the Whispbars. Edge arrived yesterday- love it!

Let us know how you get on with the roof bars and the glass roof. I'll be interested as having a roof box on mine would be useful for carrying extra stuff when we go camping.

I’d also be interested to see how you get on with them please - I gave up and went for a thule tow bar mounted bike rack which I much prefer to the roof mounted ones- but I have no way of carrying kayaks and stuff on the roof.   Cheers 

Fitted the Whispbars today - all very satisfactory - but then at £180 I would expect them to be! Took a while to figure out the various parts and to puzzle over the instruction book - but now I’ve done it once, it will be fairly easy in future. Good clearance above the pan roof. Can’t say I love the look of the clamps on the door frames - but needs must - and the bars themselves look very good quality. 

41B20F62-32E5-4C0D-A4A8-CAAFBDDABB2F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning Richard,

My clamps don't seem to sit as nicely as yours, did you bend yours at all or are they as they came out of the box? How many notches are you 'in' on the front and rear bars?

Thanks

Nick

IMG_8060.JPG

IMG_8061.JPG

IMG_8062.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in replying, Nick.

no, didn’t bend them - but just sort of manipulated them in to place. I think yours look alright - one of mine had a small gap, but still clamped in nice and tight - and survived two weeks on hols with a roof box on! I think I had 4 notches visible on the front and 7 on the back. 

Talking of roof boxes, these bars are very wide and you might need a conversion kit if fitting a roof box. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club