Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Battery Drain!!!!

Finendandy

Hello All,

Despite reading till I'm sick of it, I can't get to the cause of an 8Amp drain I am getting on my 2008 Mondeo 2.2 Titanium x.

I have pulled each and every fuse I can find, (3 fuse boxes) had the front foot well fuse box lying physically out of the vehicle, and still I have the drain.

Had to give up for the day as battery has eventually went flat on me.

When you disconnect the main wire going to the fuse box in the engine bay, it drops off, but this doesn't really narrow it down much.

Disconnecting the other main lead, starter etc makes no difference.

Sorry to bring this up again, as I have seen so many articles about it, I just need a fix!

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.

Check for corrosion on theback of the main fuse box the one in the engine bay.

I'll have a look at that while the battery charges. Cheers.

From the top all looks good, but not impossible it could be rotten underneath.

Had fuse box out from under bonnet , and all looks like new in there.

Is there anywhere else / anything in particular that is likely to be causing this drain?

Just tried it again with fully charged battery, and after it all calms down, the draw is 6.9Amps.

I cleaned up all the earth connections under the air box whilst I was poking about in there, but it's got to be something obvious.....somewhere..?

Any pointers?

Have you disconnected the alternator wiring ? 

Yes. Had it off and the starter wiring.

Unplugging as much items as I can get my hands on, but still no difference.

Starting to get frustrating.

Been in behind the splash guard at ECU, Glove box out and up in behind rasdio etc, unplugging anything and everything but still no change.

Are there any hidden ECUs elsewhere that I should maybe check?

Haven't had door panels off yet, and was hoping not to. Had hoped something would surface elsewhere.

Don't want to cut into loom and start looking for damaged wires yet either till I'm sure I've checked any other culprits 1st.

Just very annoying that nothing is affecting the drain atall......yet.

Well, Just had a thermal imaging camera take a look at it, and it seems something is at 42 degrees in the heater unit, ( car hasn't been started for a good 8 Hrs) and a relay within the glove box fuse box (internal) is sitting at 19 degrees, and is therefore doing something when everything else is turned off.

Read something, somewhere about an auxiliary heating system.... not sure if this is related / significant..?

Will have a closer look again tomorrow.

If I get to the bottom of it I will let you know.

Until now, it's just a pain!!!

• Like 1

Well,

Disconnected power to the pre-heater or whatever you want to call it and now getting battery drain of .01A and no 'hot spots'.

In my instance, - Case Closed!

Looks like a bit of work if you were to proceed further and replace the unit.......maybe some other time.

Hope this may prove useful to someone else to save the frustration I have had!

FYI - Wires are 'heavy wires' aprox 5mm diameter behind a removable panel in the centre consul at the drivers side. - Pop out one plastic plug, pull panel out, and wires are staring straight at you.

Less than 2 minutes work...................after 2 days searching!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club