Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help needed...... Mk4 mondeo 1.6petrol. Oil pressure to high blown oil filter seal twice.

MissCD

Hi, hoping someone can help. I have a 1.6 mondeo zetec mk4 57plate. I've had it since December, back in May I got it a full service oil change etc, 7 weeks later it decided to lose all it's oil all over the street when i started it, I didn't realise anything was wrong until oil light flashed on on a corner. I had the car recovered back to my house where there is a major trail of oil. Mechanic came out one look and said oil filter hadn't been fitted properly. So one oil change and a filter later and car is running fine until a month later when car does the exact same thing no warning and dumps all its oil again mechanic is unfortunatly away on holiday and has openly admitted he has not come up against anything like this so was hoping somebody may be able to point me in right direction as I'm currently car-less and struggling to get to my work which is unfortunately in the sticks.... Any advice,  suggestions or experience gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, MissCD said:

it decided to lose all it's oil all over the street when i started it, I didn't realise anything was wrong until oil light flashed on on a corner. I had the car recovered back to my house where there is a major trail of oil.

If the crankcase ventilation system is blocked, it can do just that. Gas pressure builds up inside the engine, and escapes via a weak point, usually a plastic engine cover or similar. And it often pushes a lot of oil out with it. Hoses can be kinked, or internally collapsed, and the problem can be intermittent.

The vent system runs from an outlet at the top of the engine, through an oil separator, and out to the air intake pipes. On a petrol engine there is also a PCV (crankcase vent valve) in the system.

I had this after a cylinder head change (on a Vauxhall), and the top vent hose was kinked and had lots of slimy gunk in it. The mechanic saw where the oil was leaking (cam cover seal), but did not spot the cause. He changed the gasket to no effect. I spotted the problem after it dumped its 2nd oil load, and just un-kinked, then cleaned, the hose.

Thank you will ask mechanic to look at this when he's back. I was wondering if it could be down to a pressure relief switch I have read about or even a pressure relief valve in side the oil pump. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club