Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CHARGING SYSTEM SERVICE!!

Leebo29

Hi all.

Iam new to the group and looking for advice. I recently bought 2016 mondeo titanium auto powershift. Picked it up on the 14th sept drove it 300 miles home everything was fine. The car has done 35000 just , last night i started the car amd on the dash it has came up CHARGING SYSTEM service. i have looked online and it is saying either alternater or battery issue. As the car is still under manufactures warranty has anyone else came across this issue. 

Cheers 

Any reason why you drove 300 miles to buy a car that's as common as muck?

May be wrong here but not sure that Ford would cover the battery under warranty. Best way to tell would be to get the multimeter out and start measuring voltages across the batterywhen the car is and isn't running.

Turn the engine on and measure the volts, it should be between 13-14.5, then turn every light fan and other electronic device on and see if it drops. if the car drops to 10-11 volts then you might start seeing problems caused by the alternator not working correctly. 

It doesn't mean its broken, it could be a bad ground, just needs cleaned.  

• Like 1

I never drove 300 miles home but thats all ive done in it. I got a good deal on it and couldnt find any in glasgow of similar spec. Ive just got my hands on a multimeter so am gonna go over it. 

Cheers for the replies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leebo29 said:

I never drove 300 miles home but thats all ive done in it. I got a good deal on it and couldnt find any in glasgow of similar spec. Ive just got my hands on a multimeter so am gonna go over it. 

Cheers for the replies. 

I found most of the mondeos up here where of a low spec or overpriced , i travelled too to get the ones i had never found one i wanted within 200 miles.

• Like 1

Hello , we had this types of problems on  Mondeos models 2014 , and Galaxy either . Everytime was alternator . Charging was 11.4-11.8 v

We founded that hose from the fuel filter housing was broken , and there was fuel leak on alternator . That is the problem . 

• 4 years later...
On 9/25/2018 at 7:07 AM, Dee_82 said:

Turn the engine on and measure the volts, it should be between 13-14.5, then turn every light fan and other electronic device on and see if it drops. if the car drops to 10-11 volts then you might start seeing problems caused by the alternator not working correctly. 

It doesn't mean its broken, it could be a bad ground, just needs cleaned.  

I know this is a historic post but how would one go about cleaning an alternator?

Modern alternators are not a serviceable item. They are a 3 phase wound generator with no slip rings or commutator and there are no carbon brushes to replace.