Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


MK8 2018 Fiesta Rear Reverse Camera


martinf64
 Share

Recommended Posts

When I brought my 2018 car I declined to have the reverse camera factory fitted option whilst including the rear parking sensors, however I sort of wishing I had the reverse camera option now. So I'm thinking of retro-fitting the factory fitted reverse camera option using original Ford parts.

Does anybody know whether the cabling is already fitted in the vehicle? I was hoping its just a case of fitting the correct Ford parts, plugging the already fitted cable and activating it using forscan.

Anybody know the Ford part numbers for the 'Boot Release/Number Plate Illumination' panel designed for use with the reverse camera and the part number for the camera itself? I believe you have to purchase both items separately. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


With it being such a new car, people aren't really modifying them yet.  It's also worth noting you could cause warranty issues by adding parts yourself.

Have you checked with Ford to see how much they'd quote for the upgrade now?  That should give you some idea of the amount of parts and labour required for an after build upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

To be honest mate i have a 2011 titanium (non-eco) its the 1.6 and when i had the car 5 years ago from ford it had the factory fitted camera in the rear-view-mirror which i think is one of the best places to have being you do look there but i never use it or rely on it,i fitted another after market camera as ford wanted £200+ just for the camera and not to even fit and mine cost me £12 and changed a few wires and works great as it packed in after 2 years.

I would of though if ford fitted this for you i would look at a good £500+ bill as looking back at mine 2011 it was a £500 extra and that's back then and is it worth it,my reverse sensors are great but camera don't bother me.

Don't think the camera wires would be there as mine is like a separate Genuine 3 wires that's like a small loom running from front to back and comes as a camera kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ours on the Mk8 was an optional extra that included sensors and camera. We are really glad we had it put in as it is very useful.

Can reverse park with no issues, it is only a fiesta after all but it is fun reversing up the drive or into a parking bay, just using the camera and no mirrors.

The camera is very accurate, showing wheel angle and predicted path etc. Anal I know but i push the mirror fold in button and reverse in just using the camera. You have to trust it, which is hard to do at first but it does work.

I think the option was £500 just over a year ago, so I can't see it being much cheaper for a dealership to retro fit this option after build, that is presuming they would even do something like this which to me may be doubtful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Ours on the Mk8 was an optional extra that included sensors and camera. We are really glad we had it put in as it is very useful.

Can reverse park with no issues, it is only a fiesta after all but it is fun reversing up the drive or into a parking bay, just using the camera and no mirrors.

The camera is very accurate, showing wheel angle and predicted path etc. Anal I know but i push the mirror fold in button and reverse in just using the camera. You have to trust it, which is hard to do at first but it does work.

I think the option was £500 just over a year ago, so I can't see it being much cheaper for a dealership to retro fit this option after build, that is presuming they would even do something like this which to me may be doubtful.

Don't forget its around £75 an hour labor at ford so there at least going to charge just £150 area if they only charge 2 hours work then add the camera.

https://www.in-car-install.co.uk/ford-fiesta-2018-onwards-reversing-reverse-camera-kit.html

This aint even Genuine and not fitted and that's touching £300

I would never rely on a camera to reverse as so many items that is in a blind spot or low down and mine has all the lines and is 100% spot on for distance etc.with beeps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone expected it to be a cheap mod. 🙄

I enquired with my Ford dealer and they weren't interested in helping.

I have a van and I checked the wiring in the tailgate yesterday and there's no sign of additional plugs for the camera, so it looks like the difficult bit will be getting wiring from the tailgate to the head unit. 

I've looked at the kit linked above, I believe it's a Motromax camera. Does 99% of what I want, just a shame it doesn't do the guide lines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, postmanpat said:

I don't think anyone expected it to be a cheap mod. 🙄

I enquired with my Ford dealer and they weren't interested in helping.

I have a van and I checked the wiring in the tailgate yesterday and there's no sign of additional plugs for the camera, so it looks like the difficult bit will be getting wiring from the tailgate to the head unit. 

I've looked at the kit linked above, I believe it's a Motromax camera. Does 99% of what I want, just a shame it doesn't do the guide lines. 

Dint think ford would be to interested as they wasn't to fit me a new one Genuine but the camera alone cost turned me off the idea,don't forget i have all factory wires fitted from new so it was only tailgate work.

I know the mk 8 car reverse camera is nothing like mine,the camera comes off the wires fixed on the camera but mine is sealed with around 12'' wire on it and different wiring/plug.

I know i have a hole for the camera but i don't know if the mk8 is built into the release button the same way as the link above which is so easier as i have a whopping hole if mine is not there and the reason i got a cheap one as well to fill the hole and make it look half descent.

Hope you sort it mate and it does look good when fitted on the new mk8 screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, postmanpat said:

Wish mine was and the camera fitment plug is better as you buy just the camera not the lead with plugs.

Good luck mate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not much help, but for what it's worth:

I ordered my MK8 with the reverse camera, but the Ford dealership messed up the order and delivered the car without. They told me that it was impossible for them to retrofit it. They did offer to install a unofficial one, but mounted on the dashboard and not making use of the screen. I declined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not much help, but for what it's worth:
I ordered my MK8 with the reverse camera, but the Ford dealership messed up the order and delivered the car without. They told me that it was impossible for them to retrofit it. They did offer to install a unofficial one, but mounted on the dashboard and not making use of the screen. I declined.


They probably didn’t want to bother.

There are several places online that do kits which use the factory screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tobi said:

Not much help, but for what it's worth:

I ordered my MK8 with the reverse camera, but the Ford dealership messed up the order and delivered the car without. They told me that it was impossible for them to retrofit it. They did offer to install a unofficial one, but mounted on the dashboard and not making use of the screen. I declined.

Then, if that was me, the wrong car would have gone back and then they would have ordered again what I wanted in the first place.

They wouldn't have much choice as everything you asked for will be on the copy of the order form when you ordered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Then, if that was me, the wrong car would have gone back and then they would have ordered again what I wanted in the first place.

They wouldn't have much choice as everything you asked for will be on the copy of the order form when you ordered.

Just checked my order form to make sure it matched my, saved, configuration and it does. If anything is wrong it’ll not become my car (subject to what was wrong and what they were willing to bribe me with). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tobi said:

 I ordered my MK8 with the reverse camera, but the Ford dealership messed up the order and delivered the car without. 

Not excusing the dealership, but as I recall it was quite an easy mistake to make when the Mk 8 first came out. I think the Customer price list showed camera and parking sensors as one option, but the dealer needed to tick TWO boxes on their form. I remember my salesman being VERY careful at this point. It was soon sorted after a few mix-ups, I think!😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very fair points. In our case we basically pre-ordered it and took delivery on day #1 it was available here. The dealership did offer to order the correct combination, but as I recall it would add about two months before we could get it. This was our first car, so perhaps the impatience got the better of us 🙂 They did give us a discount and various extras as a sort of apology for messing up the order.

Interesting that you mention the inconsistent price list, Eric. There were a lot of confusion with our dealership as well where the price list didn't match the official catalogue and vice versa. For instance, the dealership was told by Ford that the adaptive cruise control was not available on the Fiesta after all. Very strange. Luckily this was corrected and included anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Tobi said:

Interesting that you mention the inconsistent price list

I remember also that early Mk 8 Titanium X came with a camera as standard, but NO sensors, which also caused a lot of confusion at the time. When I ordered my car the sensors were something like £200 but camera AND sensors was £250 - a no brainer and just an unnecessary complication. There are still lots of inconsistencies in the present price list/order guide - and I used to think the MINI options list was complicated!😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I remember also that early Mk 8 Titanium X came with a camera as standard, but NO sensors, which also caused a lot of confusion at the time. When I ordered my car the sensors were something like £200 but camera AND sensors was £250 - a no brainer and just an unnecessary complication. There are still lots of inconsistencies in the present price list/order guide - and I used to think the MINI options list was complicated!😀

Wow, yeah. It does not inspire confidence when an official dealership cannot align their information with that of Ford HQ 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership