Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sunroof glass

JohnhPJ

My glass roof has developed a circular crack from one edge. It starts on one side under the mounting travels roughly circular returning to the start point. There are no apparent stone chips or marks indicating damage anywhere on its travel.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I am off to my local Ford Agent this morning to find out what I can do and if I can claim on warranty or insurance or pay myself. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. The car is a January 18 registration.

There has been a few instances of this, others on the forum have had it, not sure of the outcome, try a search in the Edge Forum

There are numerous people who have had their roof crack, both here and in the US. From the cases I've read, the majority have been replaced under warranty. A few had technical assessments to confirm it was a manufacturing/installation defect rather than damage caused by stones/falling objects.

I would strongly argue to get a warranty replacement.

Any chance you could share a photo of where it is?

After numerous conversations with warranty/service/sales personnel, they insist its a stone chip. There is what may possibly be a stone chip, in my opinion it isn't, but they appear to have the upper hand. I spoke to my insurer who tells me it will cost me £75 for a replacement for them to replace it, without loss of no claims bonus. So I have given them the go ahead and its booked in for next Monday. I could have had it later this week but I am away for a few days.

Ford were saying if they repaired it it would be several weeks before they could get a replacement. I suspect at an enormous price.

So guys check your insurance, make sure you have glass cover. You may well need it  if you have the sun roof.

Thanks for the replies

I’d be surprised if you could get a replacement glass roof by next week. But good luck anyway. 

The glass is already at the fitters in Sheffield waiting for the car. It and I are at the fitters midday on Monday We are unable to go this week due to prior commitments

18 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

I’d be surprised if you could get a replacement glass roof by next week. But good luck anyway. 

I waited 9 weeks to get my glass roof replaced by Autoglass. Make sure they have the correct part they came with the wrong part the front glass after I repeated numerous times it was the rear glass. Then they couldn’t source the rear glass and eventually after it was fixed I found a scratch on the spoiler and they disputed they had done the damage as I never reported it until the next day. So make sure and check the whole car before you sign for it.

glass cover on cars (more commonly referred to as windscreen cover although it relates to all of the windows) sometimes specifically excludes glass in sunroofs - I have seen that exclusions in some policies in the past. That does not mean that sunroof glass could not be claimed for, but it would mean that the NCD would be affected and possibly a different excess applying. So just because the policy mentioned above covers it in the 'windscreen cover' (the glass cover that does not reduce the NCD) you should not assume that your policy is the same. Policies can vary a lot in the small print. 

My policy has £95 glass excess and even a £25 excess for glass chip repairs even though people keep generalising and saying there is no xs to pay for glass repairs - even the repair companies say that

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club