Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sudden engine stall - Ideas?

ThePowster
聽Share

OK chaps something happened today that kinda scared me.

I followed my bro back from his remap place, my engine was kinda cold, only on 1/4 temp.

Came off these set of lights at the junction of the duel carriageway. I gave it some in first, then foot to floor in second and the engine just cut out聽馃槸

I put hazards on and pulled in to the side of the road. I had lost power steering too.

I turned ignition off and back on again and started her up and drove her home.

My car has never done this in the last 4 years, so here are the variables;

1. My car was kinda cold, could cold temp do this and shut the engine off?
  2. Could the addition of the K&N with airbox lid off and cold temp have done something and put car in cut off mode?
  3. I had also turned off the ESP. Could this in conjunction with the above cause it to power off?
  4. Could taking off the DPF cylinder and putting it back cause this to happen?

Its hard to know because I've never booted it from just warm with the K&N in which is new nor have I ever switched off the ESP, but I am not sure if garage could have done something when trying to read my ECU, it drove fine after, but then again I never booted it.

Just wondered if the engine detonated because it maybe over boosted or something? maybe someone whos had a remap has had similar things happen?

Cheers in advance.聽

• 2 weeks later...

28 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

What engine is it?

He's 1.6 tdci 110 mate

OK just to recap.

This never happened again in the car apart from that 1 time. Combination of cold-ish engine temp, foot ta floor and ESP system off caused the engine to just die.

Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, a Mann one, cost me 52 odd quid lol. It was really easy to do and I actually quite enjoyed doing it. I bought a manual hand pump with hose and drew the fuel through into a jug and put it back into the car, fuel was really clean.

Haynes manual says they should be replaced every couple of years, the one I took off looked mint and I only use V Power and Millers, still it's replaced now so from a process of elimination point of view if it ever happens again at least I know its not the fuel filter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePowster said:

OK just to recap.

This never happened again in the car apart from that 1 time. Combination of cold-ish engine temp, foot ta floor and ESP system off caused the engine to just die.

Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, a MANN one, cost me 52 odd quid lol. It was really easy to do and I actually quite enjoyed doing it. I bought a manual hand pump with hose and drew the fuel through into a jug and put it back into the car, fuel was really clean.

Haynes manual says they should be replaced every couple of years, the one I took off looked mint and I only use V Power and Millers, still it's replaced now so from a process of elimination point of view if it ever happens again at least I know its not the fuel filter.

That's good mate and if it was the fuel filter it's not a great expense to fix!聽 Having said that the price of the mk2 fuel filters is a bit of a joke.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 5:59 PM, Albert27 said:

That's good mate and if it was the fuel filter it's not a great expense to fix!聽 Having said that the price of the mk2 fuel filters is a bit of a joke.

My father in law (he's a Yorkshireman) nearly had a heart attack when he saw the price of the fuel filters for the DV6 engine聽:taz:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club