Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8tdci takes 'ages' to warm up

wild_one

Compared to my last 'petrol' focus, my current diesel does take a lot longer to get up to temp. When it eventually does get to temp no issues. I was concerned that the thermostat had failed open, but the last time I had that issue (on a different car) the temp would drop away on the motorway and heater output was always poor unless you were in stop start traffic. But, I still think it could be an issue?

1 hour ago, wild_one said:

Compared to my last 'petrol' focus, my current diesel does take a lot longer to get up to temp. When it eventually does get to temp no issues. I was concerned that the thermostat had failed open, but the last time I had that issue (on a different car) the temp would drop away on the motorway and heater output was always poor unless you were in stop start traffic. But, I still think it could be an issue?

I doubt it.  These diesel engines take an eternity to get up to temp especially at this time of year.  I notice you're from London, so if it's stop start traffic all the time it will take even longer than the usual longer time! 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Albert27 said:

I doubt it.  These diesel engines take an eternity to get up to temp especially at this time of year.  I notice you're from London, so if it's stop start traffic all the time it will take even longer than the usual longer time! 🙂

Yeah, I must admit I have heard other diesel owners complaining about warm up times. The issue is lack of heater output more than anything. It gets cold in London too you know :smile:

• Like 1

Mine is very slow to warm up too. I have a 2L tdci. Once i go up a few hills it does tend to speed things up though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had 1.6tdci fiesta, now have 1.5tdci fiesta. they take ages to warm up, glad I have a quickclear front screen so whilst I shiver I can at least have a clear screen.

You can console yourself knowing that this is a sign of an efficient engine that is using the energy from the fuel to propel the car along and not wasting fuel on creating excess heat (which a petrol engine does more)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club