Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 TDCI Duratorq emissions test fail

cornacum
聽Share

Hi everyone

I have just received a nasty surprise to hear that my 2014 1.6 mk3 focus has failed emissions tests. The car has 62k on the clock, it has been frequently serviced since i bought it with 35k. I also do plenty of motorway miles...I am really not sure where to look now?

The first owner was elderly lady and the car at that time was probably doing short urban journeys.

I am thinking to clean the EGR even thou the car drives fine and there are no engine lights on?聽馃槓

This morning I ran a聽forscan and everything came back clean. I also did this with cold engine at idling speed:

ANY suggestions?聽

20190410_134828.jpg

Someone must have tried really hard to get a 2014 focus to fail, or didn鈥檛 try very hard to make it pass. Diesels are tested on smoke levels they emit rather then the emissions like a petrol. On a lot of modern diesels, particularly ones with a DPF fitted we can struggle to get a reading at all as the smoke levels are so low. If it really does smoke, then I can鈥檛 think it would need much more than a good blow out (high revs up to but not exceeding the speed limit馃槆).

I鈥檇 be wary about what you let them do to your car, what did they suggest for a fix? I imagine they鈥檇 be looking to do some expensive work which I seriously doubt it needs.

By how much did it fail the test?聽

On 4/10/2019 at 3:37 PM, Stoney871 said:

Give it a Terraclean service.
https://www.terraclean.co.uk/

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

+1 for the above, a聽Terraclean transformed my grumbly old 1.8 TDCi.

Terraclean doesn't work...it's just a very expensive placebo.聽 You can get the same effect by using some high quality fuel or fuel additive and thrashing around for an hour or so which would be my suggestion.聽 Also make sure the cat is hot when they do the test, don't leave it at the centre for hours.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Terraclean doesn't work...it's just a very expensive placebo.聽 You can get the same effect by using some high quality fuel or fuel additive and thrashing around for an hour or so which would be my suggestion.聽 Also make sure the cat is hot when they do the test, don't leave it at the centre for hours.

Well it certainly made a massive difference to the performance and responsiveness after even the mighty BG cleaner had failed.聽 Admittedly I didn't have any emissions issues so I can't vouch for that aspect, it seemed my car's injectors really like it though聽馃榾

8 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Well it certainly made a massive difference to the performance and responsiveness after even the mighty BG cleaner had failed.聽 Admittedly I didn't have any emissions issues so I can't vouch for that aspect, it seemed my car's injectors really like it though聽馃榾

I'm going to guess you either didn't thrash it hard enough or diluted it in too much diesel, there's nothing particularly special in Terraclean.聽 It also doesn't clean any of the areas that you want to clean in a diesel like the EGR, inlet manifold or turbo vanes. 聽

One of my mates had it done on a petrol a couple of years ago, it didn't fix the issues he was having so we ended up stripping it down afterwards.聽 It didn't even manage to take the carbon off of the inlet valves where it was being directly fired by the injectors... 聽

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club