Do Not Sell My Personal Information

service car when only done 50 miles in 1 year?

statts

Evening

My friends Kuga has only done 50 miles in 1 year, would anybody have it serviced when it is only 2 years old?

It is a motability vehicle and I have been told that you have to have it done. Me personally wouldn't it would only need a check over and the book stamped.

Also been told that if I didn't have it done soon the warranty would no longer be valid.

Does anyone have any thoughts about all this?

Thanks

Needs doing  regardless of mileage.its part of warranty conditions . Engine oil deteriorates on age , not just mileage. 

Isn't motability  paying for service

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, iantt said:

Needs doing  regardless of mileage.its part of warranty conditions . Engine oil deteriorates on age , not just mileage. 

Isn't motability  paying for service? 

Yes Motability are paying for it but if the car hardly moves in my opinion the oil wouldn't need changing, the vehicle would need it checked  and replaced if required.

Another friend of mine has been to her mechanic many years ago and he said the oil is so thin it doesn't need changing but that car was out of warranty.

It's got nothing to do with how thin the oil is . 

Detergents in the oil  cause a chemical reaction with any water ( from engine not getting fully warm ) suspended in the oil . This can cause sludgy deposits . 

It all depends on the type of usage whether it was 50 one mile trips or one 50 mile trip. If it was 50 one mile trips then it would certainly need an oil change.

At 50 miles a year it'll probably have flat spots on the tyres, perished Wiper Blades and rust on brakes and exhaust...oil is probably the cheapest part they'll have to change... :unsure: 

As above though, Motability pay for it so I don't see the issue unless it's a logistical one?  But I thought they'd provide a collection service or courtesy car,depending on the type of disability?

As I understand the Motability rules, the arrangement can be terminated through "misuse", the definitions of which include "not taking proper care of your car". Failing to have it serviced at the specified time or distance intervals would no doubt fall under this definition. 

But with such a limited usage anyway, would using a taxi when required not be more convenient?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

At 50 miles a year it'll probably have flat spots on the tyres, perished wiper blades and rust on brakes and exhaust...oil is probably the cheapest part they'll have to change... :unsure: 

As above though, Motability pay for it so I don't see the issue unless it's a logistical one?  But I thought they'd provide a collection service or courtesy car,depending on the type of disability?

Evening

The dealer did provide collection and delivery but they couldn't do it until 24th June and i was told if any was warrantable it wouldn't be covered as the service had been done too late. Also couldn't have a courtesy car at that last minute.

Cheers

12 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As I understand the Motability rules, the arrangement can be terminated through "misuse", the definitions of which include "not taking proper care of your car". Failing to have it serviced at the specified time or distance intervals would no doubt fall under this definition. 

But with such a limited usage anyway, would using a taxi when required not be more convenient?

Evening

Yes a taxi would be more convenient because my friend has the car parked outside his house costing him his mobility allowance and he is not getting any enjoyment out of it. He is thinking of giving it back anyway because he had a stroke March 2018 and he was asked to take a driving assessment but i think it was done too quickly (July/August 2018) and he was told to voluntarily give up his licence but he has been back and forth to DVLA to try and get it back.

Thanks

12 hours ago, statts said:

Evening

The dealer did provide collection and delivery but they couldn't do it until 24th June and i was told if any was warrantable it wouldn't be covered as the service had been done too late. Also couldn't have a courtesy car at that last minute.

Cheers

That's less than a week away, I doubt you'll get a service booked in any earlier than that either.  It's a bit of an awkward situation really, the warranty will be void by the time you can get it serviced now which I'd assume causes issues with Motability as well?  I'd suggest just handing it back as soon as possible but I don't know how long that takes I'm afraid, probably not within the week anyway.  

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That's less than a week away, I doubt you'll get a service booked in any earlier than that either.  It's a bit of an awkward situation really, the warranty will be void by the time you can get it serviced now which I'd assume causes issues with Motability as well?  I'd suggest just handing it back as soon as possible but I don't know how long that takes I'm afraid, probably not within the week anyway.  

Hello

I got the service done last Wednesday as that was the cut off date for it to be done as any later if anything was warrantable it wouldn't be covered. The vehicle hasn't moved since but both Ford and Motability are having to cover their backs I guess.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, statts said:

Hello

I got the service done last Wednesday as that was the cut off date for it to be done as any later if anything was warrantable it wouldn't be covered. The vehicle hasn't moved since but both Ford and Motability are having to cover their backs I guess.

Oh right...I'm getting lost here lol, if the service has been done already, I'm not sure what the issue is?

If you're just asking about the warranty validity, warranty companies are like insurance companies, they'll do anything to get out of paying for things so you do have to stick to thier time schedules regardless of mileage.  As others have said, oil degrades over time as well as mileage anyway, and short trips are bad for oil contamination so it's not unreasonable to expect a yearly change to maintain warranty. :smile:

• Like 1

If he’s not using it and doesn’t need it then the should return it. I thought motability was a govt funded scheme to help those with disabilities get around, not to provide a car to sit there just in case. Honestly thought you had to evidence why you needed one.

Sounds like the warranty is ok now it’s been serviced. That goes for any car, not just motability - you have to keep it all going or the dealer/manufacturer is within their right to drop the warranty if the car isn’t maintained to requirements stated by the manufacturer.

Just now, LondonFiesta said:

If he’s not using it and doesn’t need it then the should return it. I thought motability was a govt funded scheme to help those with disabilities get around, not to provide a car to sit there just in case. Honestly thought you had to evidence why you needed one.

It's paid for by the claimants Mobility allowance, which yes they have to go through tests for. 

They either receive this allowance as a payment to spend on taxis etc OR if they're in the higher rate of DLA or PIP they can choose to spend this money on a motability car instead.  It's not just like they're given a free car. :smile:   In this case, I agree that the allowance would be better spent elsewhere instead of the car, especially as he'll have to pay extra on top of the allowance for a Kuga, and even more on top of that if it's an auto.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club