Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear suspension upper mounts

Alan4477

Hello. 

New poster, please be gentle. 

Bought a 2016 Titanium 210BHP power shift a couple of weeks ago and very impressed so far. 

However car is back in after I noticed a severe knocking from the back. Having stripped the boot of all things and taking for a drive again, was convinced it was suspension related. Garage (not a ford main dealer, but part of a national network that does have several ford dealers in their network), confirmed that the drivers side rear shock is “shot” and the upper mount will also need replaced. They have agreed to change both parts on both sides. 

They have had the car since the Friday before Christmas and unbelievably still haven’t been able to identify the part number for the upper mounts! The claim is that it’s not in their dealer network parts catalogue so they contracted the nearest ford dealer in the network and they are saying that it’s not in the Ford Parts Catalogue either!

I found this hard to believe so took myself off to the nearest Ford dealer in my area (not in the selling dealers network) and after much confusion in the guys face as he navigated the system, he confirmed that to his disbelief, he could find no part number in the system either. 

Issue is now with Ford UK,  but due to the time of year no one is expecting an answer until into the  New Year!! 

Anyone else come across this before or are able to advise how or if they managed to identify the part number required?? 

Should have said that they have stripped  the car and there is no number stamped on the parts. 

Thanks in advance! 

Not sure why or what on the upper end of the shock needs replacing. If it's the upper mount .. whats wrong with them? They are bomb proof! I'm not sure if it comes as part of the shock assembly and bolts directly on the body Shell at the top of the wheel arch or if you just normally transfer them over onto the new shocks?? See attached pages from the service manual ...

Rear Shock Absorber.pdf Rear Suspension - Component Location.pdf

I know its an american eBay site, but take a look at the following. Item #11 is the upper mount. It has a Ford part number on it. May get you started, but I'm still intrigued why they need changing ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-15-18-Edge-Rear-Suspension-Shock-Mount-FR3Z18A161B-/323929927906

If you bought it a couple of weeks ago ... didn't they give you a 6 month warranty? why aren't they putting it right FOC as they sold it to you in that condition!

16 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

If you bought it a couple of weeks ago ... didn't they give you a 6 month warranty? why aren't they putting it right FOC as they sold it to you in that condition!

They are.......

Quote:- whats wrong with them? They are bomb proof!

That is a load of rubbish statement to make, I had to replace both of mine on the Focus as both broke across the mounting holes part within weeks of each other they are only a casting made of monkey metal and you will find that other members have had to change theirs as well.

42 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

Not sure why or what on the upper end of the shock needs replacing. If it's the upper mount .. whats wrong with them? They are bomb proof! I'm not sure if it comes as part of the shock assembly and bolts directly on the body shell at the top of the wheel arch or if you just normally transfer them over onto the new shocks?? See attached pages from the service manual ...

Rear Shock Absorber.pdf 567.66 kB · 3 downloads Rear Suspension - Component Location.pdf 214.51 kB · 3 downloads

Apparently there is evidence of a crack. If thats the case, I’d guess the previous owner has hit a pothole or similar at a fair rate of knots to crack one. 

Like you, I did wonder if they came as part of the shocks, but would be unusual. 

If not though, why would a part number not be available!!?? Strange and worrying all at once.....

40 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

only a casting made of monkey metal

... and that sir, is a made up metal compound ! :wink::laughing:. To be honest, I've never had any chassis component fail other than springs, bushes and wheel bearings. Probably because I 'try' and avoid potholes!

Alan4477, Send me your full 17 Digit VIN and i'll have a look.

H

21 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Ok, I'm on it but tea's just arrived. Back later.

👍

The Damper Assembly is available, for both sides 2 x 1929893 and they will need the bolts as well 4 x 2032637 Nuts for the bottom and 4 x 1763512 Bolts for the top.

Also the 2 nuts for the top of the Damper 4863800 and if they want the nut covers 2 x 1946189. 

The Mount at the top of the Damper comes separately to the Damper but is not listed separately. There is no need to change this.

I would suggest not replacing everything as a first line of repair. Put it on a 4 poster ramp (not wheel free), slacken off all the rear suspension bolts and re-torque them up with the weight on the suspension. Cures many rear suspension noises.

H

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club